Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I wish I could say my heart's in it this year but it's not. My heart is hoping I find a better job and I will leave as soon as I do.
Quote:
If the administration and the parents don't care, I'm not spinning my wheels just to spin them and that's all I'm doing to stay.
Isn't this just a great incentive to send kids to public school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Teachers are often the worse I mean worse marketing team for public school education. We shoot down our profession on a daily basis and then get furious and personalize it when our thoughts are repeated. How many sales people tell you how terrible their job, employer and product are.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Um, I'm in a charter school not a regular public school. If I were in a district, I wouldn't be complaining because I'd be making enough to supply what I need if I needed but I probably wouldn't because it would already be there.

My complaints about charter schools are not reason to not send children to public schools . You really should read my posts before making declarations like this.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,713 times
Ivorytickler don't listen to these self righteous martyr types. Anyone with half a brain can see you are simply pointing out the facts. You’re not a “bad” teacher your frustrated and at your wits end. Funding is defiantly a frustrating issue for many schools including the public ones. I worked for a low income school that actually got more money for supplies and thought that was the norm but then I was transferred to another school that had high scores and didn’t get that extra money I saw a huge difference in supplies given. We have to ask for parents to donate copy paper and other supplies. Also the room provided didn’t have any of the other hands on supplies that I was used to at my other school. So it is a very daunting task going into the school year knowing I will have to rely on the minimal supplies given, “books” and be expected to teach kindergartners math, language, writing, everything with just a few pictures books and no hands on manipulatives. I refuse to spend anymore of my own money because I am sure I may get switched around again next year if I still have a job depending on how sour our economy gets by next school year and then end up buying more supplies for another school or grade level. Not to mention the pay cut I will also be getting. So no teacher is a “bad” teacher simply because they feel run down and deflated by the situation. It’s there and it’s a daunting task.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:27 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why are you disagreeing? You performed the tests and your teachers were there? I said it is a easy way to see if your teachers are actually staying and yours are as many are. No where did I assume what your answer would be. The reality is that across the nation people everyday are walking and driving past school parking lots and forming an opinion based on what they see. Many successful schools will have a lot of cars there after the working day is over. Once again if the cars are there is it reasonable that the teachers are? If the cars are gone is it reasonable that they are? If so then what problem do you have with the test? Did you read my actual post or some mistaken visceral reactions to it?

Well I can see we misunderstand one another. My intent was not of the "visceral" type. My point is that volunteering is a good way to actually gauge the work level. Oftentimes, I read and see "opinions" of why the parking lots are full (and usually it's a colorful comment on the "waste" of dollars for too many employees). While I understand that not everyone has the luxury of taking a day off to do so, once and a while a morning or afternoon volunteer session may be a better way to see exactly what teachers workloads are like and what they may have to deal with - that's all.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
Ivorytickler don't listen to these self righteous martyr types. Anyone with half a brain can see you are simply pointing out the facts. You’re not a “bad†teacher your frustrated and at your wits end. Funding is defiantly a frustrating issue for many schools including the public ones. I worked for a low income school that actually got more money for supplies and thought that was the norm but then I was transferred to another school that had high scores and didn’t get that extra money I saw a huge difference in supplies given. We have to ask for parents to donate copy paper and other supplies. Also the room provided didn’t have any of the other hands on supplies that I was used to at my other school. So it is a very daunting task going into the school year knowing I will have to rely on the minimal supplies given, “books†and be expected to teach kindergartners math, language, writing, everything with just a few pictures books and no hands on manipulatives. I refuse to spend anymore of my own money because I am sure I may get switched around again next year if I still have a job depending on how sour our economy gets by next school year and then end up buying more supplies for another school or grade level. Not to mention the pay cut I will also be getting. So no teacher is a “bad†teacher simply because they feel run down and deflated by the situation. It’s there and it’s a daunting task.
Thanks. I'm very frustrated. Especially that people think I should just suck it up and go broke because I teach . Teaching is not signing up to live in poverty. At least it shouldn't be. It's very hard knowing I can't stay where I am. I'm the kind of person who likes to grow roots. Unfortunately, I'm highly qualified in the subjects I teach instead of having the lesser general science certificate the schools want so I'm not very employable. Leave it to my state to encourage higher level certification and then create a climate where no one wants the higher certs because they grandfathered everyone who has the general science cert and schools can have them teach any subject, whereas, I can only teach chemistry, physics, math and engineering. Very frustrating.

You know, if I made a decent living, I'd buy the supplies. I actually like the school I'm in and I see a lot of kids who need someone to be there for them, but knowing I'm not staying makes it even harder to spend my own money. I can't even justify it by saying I'll have what I buy for years because the next school may have everything I want or be missing things I didn't buy.

Getting parents to donate is like pulling teeth. If I tell the kids I need things for the classroom they want to know how much extra credit I'm going to give them. Sorry, but I don't grade Kleenex. I don't get it. They like having things like Kleenex, hand soap and hand sanitizer in the room and are always asking for extra hand outs because they lose them but think they deserve something extra for bringing any of that in.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you could be right but the ones i know are working for the welfare department (a real change to disneyland for sure) bek of the rotten and violent kids.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Well I can see we misunderstand one another. My intent was not of the "visceral" type. My point is that volunteering is a good way to actually gauge the work level. Oftentimes, I read and see "opinions" of why the parking lots are full (and usually it's a colorful comment on the "waste" of dollars for too many employees). While I understand that not everyone has the luxury of taking a day off to do so, once and a while a morning or afternoon volunteer session may be a better way to see exactly what teachers workloads are like and what they may have to deal with - that's all.
Your comment about full parking lots and wasted dollars is very true and gets said often. People also look at the teacher parking section and if they see what they consider expensive cars react to that. All of which is part of my even bigger point. The public is not allowed in schools without a good reason. As a result they have to find external and very subjective ways of deciding how they feel. Remember most tax payers don't have children in the public school system to help evaluate. Volunteering is great but it just doesn't happen to many non parents. Doesn't even happen for most parents. One of the great tragedies of school today is that many people who are parents are suspect if they volunteer. Even mentor programs in some areas are having to do background checks.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Your comment about full parking lots and wasted dollars is very true and gets said often. People also look at the teacher parking section and if they see what they consider expensive cars react to that. All of which is part of my even bigger point. The public is not allowed in schools without a good reason. As a result they have to find external and very subjective ways of deciding how they feel. Remember most tax payers don't have children in the public school system to help evaluate. Volunteering is great but it just doesn't happen to many non parents. Doesn't even happen for most parents. One of the great tragedies of school today is that many people who are parents are suspect if they volunteer. Even mentor programs in some areas are having to do background checks.
I learned, when I lived in the city that you can't judge someone's income by their car. It amazed me how many of my neighbors had cars that were worth more than their houses. But those cars were the only thing you could call a luxury in their lives.

As a teacher, I need a reliable car. I can't be breaking down on the way to work all the time. Several of the teachers drive better cars and I don't blame them. If you can budget and get better transportation, go for it. If I were single or didn't have kids, I'd probably be driving a nice car too. I have kids so I drive the mom mobile, complete with dried up pop in the cup holders

Actually, some of the more expensive cars are worth the price for safety features and longevity. I knew a guy who drove one he paid $48K for but was still driving it past 300K miles. He could have bought three cheap cars for that and not gotten as many miles.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Um, I'm in a charter school not a regular public school. If I were in a district, I wouldn't be complaining because I'd be making enough to supply what I need if I needed but I probably wouldn't because it would already be there.

My complaints about charter schools are not reason to not send children to public schools . You really should read my posts before making declarations like this.

Charters are overseen by and a part of the public school system. Were they not, they would be called "private schools".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching