Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM

442 posts, read 1,571,583 times

Advertisements

My college just added this major to their roster. The career outlook description is kind of vague, it basically lists the different fields you could find work in. Can anyone out there add any specifics to this list? Do you know anyone with a degree in this major? Exactly what type of job (or job title) in hospitals, charity, workforce developement, and other "community based services" would this degree be useful in? Any ideas??
Here's the article:

Quote:
Bachelor of Science in Educational Studies The College of Education is proud to offer a NEW Non-Teaching Education Major. The Educational Studies major at SPC serves to prepare individuals to enter community-based service organizations; it also assists individuals already employed to improve their ability to function in educational-related roles.

Educational Studies (non-teaching education major) tracks:
  • Early Child Education
    • Pre-school education (birth to age 4)
    • Pre-K/Primary education (age 3 to 3rd grade)
  • Interdisciplinary Studies
Educational Studies graduates enter occupations such as:
  • Training and Development Programs
  • Community programs serving children and families
  • Workforce Development
  • Religious Work
  • Rehabilitation Services
  • Adult Education
  • Charities
  • Prisons or Hospitals
Preparing You for Graduate Education or Professional Programs Educational Studies graduates are prepared to continue their studies in graduate education or professional programs. Individuals seeking employment in non-school settings can benefit from and draw upon portions of the essential knowledge and skills associated with the field of Education. The Educational Studies major has been specifically designed for students who want to deepen their understanding of the learning and teaching process, yet seek careers in non-school settings. Students in the Educational Studies major are not eligible for Florida certification.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
I can only guess, as I've never encountered anyone with a degree of this type, but for charities it could perhaps be useful for foundation work (helping decide where to direct education-related funding), or, for some nonprofits, perhaps being in a position that serves as an intermediary between schools and the nonprofit.

My personal experience is mostly with the realm of museums, which I suppose also fit into the category of "charities," to some degree (as they are nonprofits). Museums hire many educators, including people who work directly with students of all ages. I could see for some of those jobs that perhaps a double major - art or history or a related relevant field, perhaps, in addition to Education Studies could give them a competitive edge. I don't have children's museum experience, but this degree could be a good fit for that.

I can't speak for most of the positions here, but the nonprofit field in general is having very difficult times right now, so I would be wary of getting too specific at the undergraduate level. You don't want to get boxed in. This major sounds like it might be useful at the graduate level, or, again, in addition to something else, but could potentially be limiting. Then again, it's nice to see schools offer something for the many people out there who do work in fields related to education, but do not work in the traditional school setting.

I'll be curious to read what others have to say.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
And education background is a good background for many careers outside the classroom, but you don't need a degree that specific to do it. Prior to eventually working in education, I was easily able to get jobs in nonprofit human services, print journalism, and public law with English and education degrees.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 PM

442 posts, read 1,571,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And education background is a good background for many careers outside the classroom, but you don't need a degree that specific to do it. Prior to eventually working in education, I was easily able to get jobs in nonprofit human services, print journalism, and public law with English and education degrees.
With a non-teaching English & education degree such as this...or a teaching degree?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Not to be overly pessimistic, but jobs in general in the nonprofit sector (among many other industries, of course) are tough to find at the moment. Nonprofits depend heavily on corporate and individual support, and despite need being as great, or sometimes greater, than years past, there isn't as much money to go around. Toss in shrinking endowments and there's an even less money. Just a warning, so you know what you're getting yourself into if you go into the nonprofit field.

I think such a degree could be helpful, but again, wouldn't do it as a stand-alone degree, at least not at an undergraduate level.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
With a non-teaching English & education degree such as this...or a teaching degree?
There was no secondary education teaching degree at my alma mater...only elementary education. You didn't major in secondary ed, you got a secondary ed certification to go with your major in [fill in the blank], presumably the content area you'd be teaching at the middle school and high school levels. So there was no "teaching degree" per se for secondary ed. Just teaching certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching