U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,908,909 times

Advertisements

I wore a uniform, too. I get it. What I DON'T get is not letting the men and women wear basically the same uniform. There is no reason she can't wear a pair of blue pants and a white shirt, or a blue skirt and white shirt...or for HIM to wear plaid pants and a white shirt. AND if they ordered the uniform, it's disrespectful to order the wrong size. It's just wierd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,318,008 times
Any update, megansmom?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,444,765 times
I was thinking of this thread when I met my daughter's student teacher last night. She is at least in her 40s, if not older, and I tried to picture a polyester plaid jumper and a peter pan collared blouse on her - I just could not picture it.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM

17 posts, read 199,303 times
OP - Trust me when I tell you that I empathize with you. We moved to Philadelphia at the beginning of my junior year in high school and I ended up going to Little Flower High School for junior and senior year. The uniform was a burgundy jumper, white button up blouse with a rounded peter pan collar like yours, burgundy knee socks -- the smooth nylon kind, and reverse saddle shoes (black toe and heel).

As a junior, I was almost as tall as you and had/still have a plus-size curvaceous body-type. Let me just say for those who may not know, this style uniform may look cute on elementary schoolkids and maybe even ok on small to medium size girls in middle school, but taller bigger sized, fully developed high school girls -- not to mention adult females, *look ridiculous* wearing it.

I'll never forget the first time I tried mine on, I thought there is no freakin' way high school girls should wear this! And I was 16 at the time! For posters who don't have much empathy for the OP, like nickmr and charles wallace, it's obvious that you have little understanding about how humiliating it can be for a big girl in high school or an adult female to be essentially mandated to have to wear a juvenile looking uniform that doesn't fit right. Ok, fine - in the end the OP doesn't have to student teach there, and I *in theory* had other school choices, (even though my parents actually made me go to LF.) Practically speaking, especially with the OP, a young professional going to get her student teaching credentials shouldn't be put in this position to begin with.

My uniform never fitted me right because of my height, weight, bust size, and hip size. The deceptive thing about jumpers is that they may appear modest coming close to the knee, maybe an inch or so above while standing still, but when you are a taller bigger girl, that hem will constantly ride up your thighs when moving around, sitting, shifting in your chair, bending, reaching for something, navigating stairs, getting in and out of vehicles, just about any inadvertent movement you can think of.

And on top of all that, even if in the unlikely event you could convince me that making the OP wear a jumper and peter pan blouse to student-teach in everyday as part of school unity or whatever, why on God's green earth would the assistant principal go further in humiliating her by making her wear knee-high socks with it?

Any adult woman would be mortified being told to wear that, and it's even worse with taller bigger women. It's like wearing a clown outfit. It's obvious the assistant principal wants to treat the OP more like a student than a teacher. While the OP is not a teacher yet, she is closer to being a teacher than a teenage girl going to Catholic high school. And she should be treated with more respect by the administration, and while it's the school's right to mandate a dress code, there is no need to abuse that right by making student teaching interns wear this type uniform.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,294,352 times
Since complaining to the principal will go nowhere, her only other resort, it seems to me, is going to the archdiocese about this. Prospective teachers should not feel humiliated and uncomfortable by the uniform that is imposed on them. There is just no good reason for this situation from a professional standpoint. And there does seem to be something fetishistic about making you wear it, too, because otherwise the school is just not living in the real world when it comes to what is considered professional dress. The Catholic Church is also not known to have a very enlightened attitude toward women anyway.

As for doing something legal about that, well, no chance there. Our laws give religious institutions and even companies run by the religiously devout a great deal of latitude in what they can ask from their employees. Your only option would be to try to prove some kind of sexual agenda behind the uniform they want you to wear. Failing that, your only other choice is to leave (and I think you should because I find this to be a little creepy on a certain level) or just put up with it.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 9,449,079 times
I just read this entire thread and am totally flabbergasted about the OP being mandated to wear a juvenile plaid Catholic schoolgirl jumper!! This is absurd and misogynistic! Requesting you wear some sort of uniform is one thing, as in what the male student teacher was wearing (navy slacks, white shirt) but a childish plaid uniform....no way ever, ever would I agree to that. I would RUN, not walk.....it's not going to get any better. This is nothing more than control/domination!! And, after I ran, I would contact the ACLU about the discrepancy between male/female student teacher's unforms!!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:58 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,699,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
And, after I ran, I would contact the ACLU about the discrepancy between male/female student teacher's unforms!!
This.

I am not a fan of 99.9% of what the ACLU stands for in the public eye, but I would love to see that prinicpal squirm while he is getting calls from all the news outlets.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM

2,255 posts, read 4,318,008 times
As I said before, I would walk away from the position before wearing that garment.

I'm wondering though are there any other female interns this year that are not putting up complaints and wearing the jumper? If there are, the OP might look like a rabble rouser and while she might get an eyeful of what's to come in the future (i.e., an inflexible and controlling administration), the institution may see her as a cage rattler and troublemaker might not deem her worthy of a full time position there. Then she wore the jumper for nothing.

The whole AP needs to "eyeball" her attire in the mornings from now on because she rebelled and wore something else probably caused her to lose points with the administration and perhaps put her future full-time employment there in jeopardy. I wish there was an update.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 PM

29,465 posts, read 33,733,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
This.

I am not a fan of 99.9% of what the ACLU stands for in the public eye, but I would love to see that prinicpal squirm while he is getting calls from all the news outlets.
Not sure that most folks outside of education would side with the intern. They would probably like standards at their own child's school. It is a private school and she requested to be there. Those are their standards take it or leave it. They don't receive federal funds so their aren't funds for them to lose. My guess is that the OP would be the one most likely looking silly and the school administration would probably look good to THEIR parents. Does the OP want her picture in her outfit going viral on the internet with the comments of the administration about how male and female students have different uniforms and why is she so special as a intern with no long term committment to the school or community. If any thing the might learn to not take interns from that institution in the future since they haven't done a good job preparing her for her assignment. Unless she is the first female intern to have to wear that uniform the immediate question becomes focused on her and why she is having this issue and did her advisor prepare her or consider it a good placement for her?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 PM

17 posts, read 199,303 times
TuborgP is right on. The OP is in a no-win situation. If she does nothing then she'll continuing wearing a uniform that makes her very uncomfortable. If she challenges the administration, they will respond by more restrictive requirements. Look what happened when she *dared* to wear blue pants that last Friday. They responded with a new requirement that she present herself for inspection every morning. After wearing pants, I can almost bet the OP is not going to get the AP to budge one inch on cutting her some slack. He will likely be *more* of a stickler about every little detail of the OP's appearance when she sees him in the mornings.

Parents will back the administration. After all, they send their kids there. The OP is expendable - she's not even an employee. No one is going to champion her cause. And I also agree that I doubt the OP would want any publicity that comes with ACLU. I doubt she wants photos taken of her in connection with publicity. If she toughs it out, probably her only hope is finding a sympathetic and respected female teacher to help her with the AP.

My question for the OP is what kind of guy is the assistant principal? He is dismissive about all of this and not pay her much attention, or is he creepy to be around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching