U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM

28 posts, read 98,418 times

Advertisements

I wish I had the inner fortitude to do what I feel is instinctively right, which is to run from this situation like some have suggested. However, I dread the possibility that I can't find a replacement student teaching opportunity at this point, and my degree gets held up. Disregarding my gut feeling, I totally swallowed my pride this week and went back.

Instead of meeting with the AP, The AP directed me to meet with a school counselor, who is also a deacon, each morning so that the counselor can work with me to "help me overcome any obstacles to successfully integrating at school," not to mention checking my attire. The AP has pretty much put the counselor in charge of me above and beyond my cooperating teacher who will be supervising my student teaching.

For teaching, I will still be working with my cooperating teacher, but for my morning meetings and any other issues, I will be seeing the counselor. I am still crossing my fingers that my advisor can find me another placement, but this week's progress was slow.

luvmymacaw totally gets what's going on, especially in the 8-19-2009 posting.. As of the close of this week, wearing this horrible outfit is no less humiliating; it's actually even more so with the morning inspections. Although the counselor is nicer on the surface than the AP, he just puts a nicer face on the same sort of controlling, morally superior attitude that they seem to have. He makes it sound like "you know I would rather not have to make you do A, B, or C, but I have to honestly report to the AP."

Someone also asked about other female interns. There are three student teachers that I know about. Myself, and two males. I am the only female. Let me just say, the males would never have to deal with similar issues. Seeing them throughout the day constantly reminds me of that.

My sincere thanks to everyone who has been supportive. I appreciate your feedback. My advisor doesn't seem to want to take a hard position either way, and offers little real world feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,663,119 times
Its the knee socks that bother me the most! It makes me think of those "sexy" Halloween costumes.

For the OP, sounds like you're already past the point of protest, how long have you been there--2-3 weeks? Too late now, the time to back out would have been at the beginning.

Can you find another way out? Drop out for a semester, a family emergency, get sick, financial reasons? That's your only option now. Just cut out, then re enroll later, or, put up with it. Its just for a semester, but that semester can break you insofar as your future. Trust me, this won't work!

They already have it in for you, the uniform will just be one issue. have they given you any evaluations yet? They won't be good, I can guarantee it. They might force the issue to the point you end up "failing" your internship, then your options for another internship arew extremely limited. Everything depends on a good evaluation/reference from them, and you won't get it.

Your best bet at this point is to find an out---don't go to your advisor with complaints, dropping out because you're not pleased (with good reason) with the situation. They won't like it. their relationships with area schools is more important than your satisfaction.

So, do you have any emergencies that could occur? Sick family member, finances, etc? Get out, then leave yourself a way back in. Forget about ACLU, etc, that will just further ********* up.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 PM

134 posts, read 363,864 times
I went to a Catholic school for a few years in grade school and I NEVER saw any teacher wear a uniform---I think the only qualification was to dress modestly,and I don't remember any teacher (there were no men teachers) who wore slacks and this was over 20 years ago! I think the knee socks idea is crazy! What's wrong with permitting pantyhose?! Maybe at least you could do that.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,644,084 times
It sounds like you have already burned the bridge in regards to getting a job in that school if the AP has already washed his hands of your situation and has passed you off to the counselor. That really sucks.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 PM

29,180 posts, read 32,994,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It sounds like you have already burned the bridge in regards to getting a job in that school if the AP has already washed his hands of your situation and has passed you off to the counselor. That really sucks.
Some times seeking opinions and reacting to them by participating in forums will not get you where you need to go/be

Old 08-22-2009, 07:56 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,073,429 times
Someone also asked about other female interns. There are three student teachers that I know about. Myself, and two males. I am the only female. Let me just say, the males would never have to deal with similar issues. Seeing them throughout the day constantly reminds me of that.

This is very true, and I really empathize with your situation. It's sort of common knowledge that the Catholic Church is male-dominated, some might even say misogynistic. However, I taught at a Catholic school that was not like what you are describing, which is awful. At the school where I taught, you were simply encouraged to dress modestly. But no one ever behaved in the condescending and inhospitable manner that you are describing; everyone took their faith and values of goodwill and charity very seriously and would never have treated someone the way that you are being treated.

I really don't know what is up with this school but if I were you, I would continue to seek another internship. It's very disappointing that your advisor is not being supportive, as that is exactly what an advisor is supposed to do. It sounds like a bad deal all around, as if they don't respect you or your rights/wishes and just want you to "fall in line."

If you do not end up with another internship, then just do your best and focus on the kids rather than the faculty; this wll help you through. And after you are done with your internship, look for a job farther north (for some reason, I get the feeling that you are in the Southern U.S. )

Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 PM

29,180 posts, read 32,994,267 times
The OP needs to heed the advice of their advisor to the the T. Their advisors recomendation along with that of the school she is student teaching at will be critical in finding employment after graduation. I wonder if they are sensing a wish that she was not interning with them. Having the AP pass you on to a counselor is not usually the foundation for good recommendations. Perhaps they are documenting for just the opposite.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 PM

706 posts, read 1,453,134 times
I think the OP should wear this uniform to her college to SHOW her advisor what they are expecting her to wear. I'm sorry, for those who don't see a problem with this - have you never seen an adult woman dressed as a 'naughty Catholic school girl'? Complete with knee socks? I guarantee that is what people will think if she goes to her college advisor dressed like that. This is the most ridiculous requirement! I sure hope some other arrangements can be made.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM

44 posts, read 23,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I think the OP should wear this uniform to her college to SHOW her advisor what they are expecting her to wear. I'm sorry, for those who don't see a problem with this - have you never seen an adult woman dressed as a 'naughty Catholic school girl'? Complete with knee socks? I guarantee that is what people will think if she goes to her college advisor dressed like that. This is the most ridiculous requirement! I sure hope some other arrangements can be made.
I don't know. I didn't interpret it that way from what I read. It seems like the OP has issues with it because it looks juvenile to her, not 'naughty' as you put it. Honestly, how do you think the parents at the luncheon perceived it? Wouldn't parents complain if the OP looked the way you say?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:14 AM

3,729 posts, read 9,285,614 times
Being mandated to wear a little girl's Catholic school uniform (jumper, blouse, knee socks) is not only humiliating and degrading - it is also sexist!! This is wrong on so many levels. There should be ONE student teacher uniform, for both males and females, slacks and shirt...PERIOD! How some people cannot see this is beyond me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching