U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 25,219 times

Advertisements

We can move to any state (preferably in the Northeast). I am about to take my Praxis exam in ESOL K-12. I haven't decided on which state I should apply at for certification. We do not want to live in Alabama anymore. I am thinking of Tennessee, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New York & Virginia.

Any ideas? Advice? If you had to choose between any state good for teaching, which one would it be? I know it is hard to find a teaching job in this economy but I still need to start a process of getting a teaching license somewhere.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,178,002 times
It depends on how much experience you have and what your bachelor's is in.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM

11,308 posts, read 15,847,836 times
Not to tag along on this thread, but I'm also wondering about ESOL prospects. I have an undergrad degree in international relations and politics with a minor in Latin American studies and am considering getting a MAT in ESOL (and reading) from GA State with hopes to teach in 2 years in GA. Hopefully I'll make TFA so I'll have teaching experience to go along with it but I don't want to waste my time planning on getting a masters in teaching if job prospects are as bad in that field as for the rest of teachers. My ideal teaching position would be in social studies (in particular bilingual social studies) but there are too many SS teachers now looking for jobs.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It depends on how much experience you have and what your bachelor's is in.
I just graduated so I do not have any experience. I have only done student teaching for 6 months outside of the US. My bachelor's is in Secondary Education with a teaching major in Foreign Language Instruction

Old 08-21-2009, 02:46 PM

7,834 posts, read 12,038,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_NC View Post
Any ideas? Advice? If you had to choose between any state good for teaching, which one would it be? I know it is hard to find a teaching job in this economy but I still need to start a process of getting a teaching license somewhere.

Thanks!
Virginia, in particular the northern part (check counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William). There is a need for ESL and the school districts are good. Fairfax lists 4 ESOL positions on their vacancy list right now (2 elem, 1 middle, and one hs). Although the cost of living is relatively high, it is a nice area to live in, especially if you are a younger person.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,178,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_NC View Post
I just graduated so I do not have any experience. I have only done student teaching for 6 months outside of the US. My bachelor's is in Secondary Education with a teaching major in Foreign Language Instruction
Right on. I consider your student teaching experience, especially b/c it was abroad.
Did you specialize in a particular language? If so, then many schools will consider you qualified to teach that (and only that) particular language. ESOL is completely different from foreign language instruction. If I were you, I would get a job as a foreign lang teacher and then work toward getting an ESOL endorsement. Or do what the above poster is doing and get a MAT.
This is the only link that I know of for finding ESL jobs:
www.nais.org
There does not appear to be a huge demand for ESOL teachers right now (although, ironically, there are many instructors and jobs for teaching ESOL to prospective teachers, as it is part of the NCLB requirements.)
Good luck.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM

thanks to all who answered! I already have a MAT degree. I am also going to look into programs to become a Math teacher.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM

30,094 posts, read 30,863,215 times
At this point in time, it is probably easier to get a job teaching ESL/EFL in Asia than in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or