Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof2000 View Post
I've never heard of districts regularly hiring in August or September. While I would normally agree with taking the better job, breaking contract is a cardinal sin for teachers. That is never a good idea.

Really? It's commonplace in my neck of the woods. We have 3 wonderful city school systems surrounding 4-5 county systems. It is so common for the interviewed teachers to wait until the cities have made up their minds and done their hiring - usually at the beginning of the summer - to let the counties know their decisions. Usually that means a few slots are not filled and must be either re-posted or the county officials going back to the 3rd or 4th place interviewee. It is quite common for the county systems to hire a temp to fill in during the first few days/weeks of school so the newly hired candidate can serve out whatever notice they had to give. Doesn't happen every year, but enough to not be unusual.

Last edited by Starman71; 12-07-2012 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM

518 posts, read 406,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then he's a bastard. I had that happen years ago to me. I had a provisional offer to become an administrator (Dean of Students) in a PA school. All I needed was a letter from my Principal to seal it. She dawdled and dawdled and dawdled until the offer was withdrawn. What pissed me off was that at the same time this was happening the worst teacher in the building asked for a recommendation and not only did he get it the Principal dropped what she was doing and wrote it while he waited. He was gone three weeks later.
Not a school teacher but I've taught at university/community college level before and I know that this happened to at least one person I know (or so she told me). The big kahuna didn't want her to leave, so when she was asked for a rec, she never replied. People in academia plays these little games, and these are the same people who are professing about honor codes and things of that sort.

Ethics? Ethics are about consequences. Ethics are about who gets hurt. Obviously a teacher should always be considerate of students and the school community, but always take care of yourself first because let's face it, the schools cannot be trusted to take care of teachers. I'm guessing this is true of any level. If you're not hurting anyone (or if you're at least minimizing the disruption) and if you're honoring your contract, and if you can accept whatever negative attention might come your way, move on to greener pastures, I say.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Really? It's commonplace in my neck of the woods. We have 3 wonderful city school systems surrounding 4-5 county systems. It is so common for the interviewed teachers to wait until the cities have made up their minds and done their hiring - usually at the beginning of the summer - to let the counties know their decisions. Usually that means a few slots are not filled and must be either re-posted or the county officials going back to the 3rd or 4th place interviewee. It is quite common for the county systems to hire a temp to fill in during the first few days/weeks of school so the newly hired candidate can serve out whatever notice they had to give. Doesn't happen every year, but enough to not be unusual.
It's so common here that the only way you get into the district where I live is to be unemployed September 1st. I had an offer to interview three weeks into the school year 3 years ago. I would have loved to have taken it but I'd already started the school year where I am and that kind of move can get you black listed.

I have a friend who had tried for years to get a job in a district and, finally, got an offer after the school year started. She took it only to get laid off at the end of the year and now she can't find work at all.

When you're a teacher, it's like you're an indentured servant. You can't leave until they tell you you can leave and the only times the jobs are open are times when they won't let you leave....and people wonder why we need unions...

Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Quote:
When you're a teacher, it's like you're an indentured servant. You can't leave until they tell you you can leave and the only times the jobs are open are times when they won't let you leave....and people wonder why we need unions...
That's my situation now. I am in teaching public schools while training to work in medical rehabilitation (through a weekend program). I am supposed to finish the program in a year and would like to leave teaching to go into med rehab and I am so worried about how am I ever going to get out of teaching. Can't quit job due to financial situation but I don't ever want to go back into teaching again.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,173 times
I have a question. In Ohio can one district refuse to give a teacher a release to work in another district that she has found better employment opportunity at? This is happening to my fiancé as we speak. She worked for a city school district and applied for several jobs at the end of the school year. She was hired at a great district and school, and is very excited about the move. She has actually started the new district a week ago. Now her former district has contacted the new district and told them they will not release her? During the past several weeks she received numerous phone calls trying to talk her out of leaving, to the point of threatening to file a report with Ohio Education Association to try to void her teaching certificate.

Now her new employer tells her since the previous district will not release her, they will keep her until the other district starts school, hire a sub for two weeks to see if she can persuade them to release her from her previous district. If not she will have to quit her new position and return to her old one, otherwise not have a job.

This seams very undermining, and unprofessional way to force her to stay at her previous district teaching. Is this legal? I am considering hiring an attorney. The phones calls from her previous employer were very near the point of harassment. They called all hours of the day and night, then the threats started. She loves teaching and is very good at it, with several awards. Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concernedaboutrights View Post
I have a question. In Ohio can one district refuse to give a teacher a release to work in another district that she has found better employment opportunity at? This is happening to my fiancé as we speak. She worked for a city school district and applied for several jobs at the end of the school year. She was hired at a great district and school, and is very excited about the move. She has actually started the new district a week ago. Now her former district has contacted the new district and told them they will not release her? During the past several weeks she received numerous phone calls trying to talk her out of leaving, to the point of threatening to file a report with Ohio Education Association to try to void her teaching certificate.

Now her new employer tells her since the previous district will not release her, they will keep her until the other district starts school, hire a sub for two weeks to see if she can persuade them to release her from her previous district. If not she will have to quit her new position and return to her old one, otherwise not have a job.

This seams very undermining, and unprofessional way to force her to stay at her previous district teaching. Is this legal? I am considering hiring an attorney. The phones calls from her previous employer were very near the point of harassment. They called all hours of the day and night, then the threats started. She loves teaching and is very good at it, with several awards. Please let me know your thoughts.
I didn't read where she handed in her resignation? Is she Union?
Yes contact a lawyer.

I find the phone calls out of character for a school district.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Actually it sounds about right to me if she didn't resign before a deadline to do so.

I know in Virginia there is a specific date after which a school district does not have to release a teacher to take a job in another district. For example, if in June I accept a position with another district and let my current district know, there is no harm no foul. After a certain date (in July perhaps?) they wouldn't have to release me. There is a deadline by which one has to notify the district in order to resign without prejudice. If the employee notifies the district after the deadline then the employee is not eligible for reemployment with the district; when giving references, the district will advise that the employee resigned with prejudice and the district may recommend that teacher's certificate be revoked

Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I retired following the end of school last year.

I taught a year too long. I started thinking seriously about bailing mid-way through school year. I felt bad about it, felt children deserved continuity.

I talked to my principal about it, and she said with enough notice, she had no problem with me leaving during year.

In the end, I just felt I had to gut it out.

Hated the last several months, but I am glad I stayed, and we had great test scores, for what that is worth (not much). But I did not quit on the job, either. Worked hard until the last day!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
As long as her resignation was tendered appropriately, it's unlikely the school she was at can force her to stay.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM

762 posts, read 610,443 times
I'm not a teacher any longer, but I am still in education. After an experience I had one year I really believe lol that teachers are humans too, and should be able to resign like any other job provided they give notice. Yes I understand that there are contracts and that there may be repercussions for teachers ending their contract, so it's a risk one has to be willing to take if they are serious. I missed out of my dream opportunity one year by not breaking a teaching contract I had for one of the worst teaching gigs of my life (I taught students with mood disorders who were violent) because I didn't want to seem disloyal to the principal or break my contract. The principal midway through the school year did something completely unprofessional and illegal to me (cannot prove it and don't want to share the details on here) and ended up telling me that he plans on taking me up to someone higher in the school district to get rid of me if I didn't resign. No I didn't do anything illegal, but principals and any other bosses can get rid of you (even if you have made tenure) by finding any flaw/flaws that you have so they have something to get rid of you for. I ended up resigning because I didn't want to see his face anymore from the minute that meeting was held with my union rep present. I'm almost positive that I could put on a do not hire list in that district. That experience really changed me.

As far as it being a terrible thing to do to students, students are resilient and I think we forget that. Give notice, let your kids know, slowly introduce the new teacher. Hell think of it this way, there are so many teachers who have been laid off or those who want their first teaching job that you would be helping the employment rate go up. You need to put your health and well being first. I know the world wants to see teachers as being selfless, saints who will always put their students' needs above their own, but what good are you if you cannot help yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching