Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 AM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I felt this system was horrible antiquated and meant to make more money for colleges and sending in licensure fees, 150 bucks in 1990 for a teaching certificate in ONE STATE.

It is sad that a teacher cannot move, but has to go through pay for another semester of classes to get certified in another state.
I agree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Problem is, a state can only control the standards taught at its own universities, can only certify that the educators who passed its examinations meet the most basic requirements. The standards are not the same from state to state, not across subject areas.

While I've gone through the hassle of becoming certified in another state after moving and feel for anyone else having to do it, it's necessary.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have yet to transfer my certification status from the state in which I received it to the state I currently live and teach in...but this is because I work for a private school, and they do not require it.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
SAT is run at a national level and seems to work for college admittance.
I don't see why the same can't be done for teachers even at the content level (Math, Science).
But it's a money maker for states so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SAT is run at a national level and seems to work for college admittance.
I don't see why the same can't be done for teachers even at the content level (Math, Science).
But it's a money maker for states so I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Math and science are subject areas where it would be a little easier to standardize. Having taught in several states, the standards differ greatly in some areas. What might be good enough to get certification in one state might be considered inadequate by another. Unless all states agreed to go by the most stringent standards, I could see where this would create problems.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Math and science are subject areas where it would be a little easier to standardize. Having taught in several states, the standards differ greatly in some areas. What might be good enough to get certification in one state might be considered inadequate by another. Unless all states agreed to go by the most stringent standards, I could see where this would create problems.
Those tests though go beyond standards for the content. The states define what they are looking for in "teachers". These are subjective standards for pedagogy.

There has to be a concerted push to standardize this throughout states.
A teacher in Neb moving to Fla should NOT have to requalify as a teacher which usually just involves paying money for a state cert.

Heck, I'm noticing difference in perceived "standards" in what is being taught between districts right here in Texas and that's just being a math tutor volunteer in the classrooms.

An initiative to form common core state standards applicable across the US. Many states have adopted and have joined.
Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
You can now be Nationally Board Certified and that goes across all states

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards

Teacher Certification | Learn about Earning Your Teaching Certificate

Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
I don't think that works the way that you would think. It's more of an incentive that boosts salaries in some states as opposed to being a universal certificate that qualities you to teach in any state.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Yes, board certification is primarily for salary increases, not universal certification. While most hiring bodies would be glad to hire a National Board Certified applicant, the applicant will still generally have to meet the state-specific requirements, if the school is a public one.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Many states accept the National Boards as certification.

See here:
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: State & Local Information

The Texas State Board for Educator Certification determined that passing scores on any National Board Certification assessments may be used in lieu of Texas certification exams for individuals certified outside of the state of Texas. Individuals who have passed assessments are exempt from both content and pedagogy Texas assessments.

You can click on other states. You have to be already certified in some state, but it allows you to be certified without having to fulfill extra requirements in your new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching