Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Let me point out what I don't understand about "teaching" as a profession. The schools don't seem to care if the teacher is cognizant of the subjects that they are to teach. I've had history teachers, computer teachers, that didn't know anything about the subject that they are trying to teach. If YOU don't know, how can you hope to impart the information to someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let me point out what I don't understand about "teaching" as a profession. The schools don't seem to care if the teacher is cognizant of the subjects that they are to teach. I've had history teachers, computer teachers, that didn't know anything about the subject that they are trying to teach. If YOU don't know, how can you hope to impart the information to someone else?
There is a difference between "don't care" and "can't always do something about."

Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM

They are the ones who make the hiring decisions, so obviously, they can.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
This is a problem. A local school recently hired a "chemistry" teacher. She took one chemistry class in college. I tried to get an interview for the position but couldn't make it past first base because they required a general science certificate whereas my certs are subject matter specific. I'm considered the more highly qualified teacher, by the state, but I'm limited in what I can teach, whereas, the person who got the job can teach all science classes 6th - 12th grades even if she didn't take the class in college. She is highly qualified to teach biology and earth science but not chemistry (I know her). However, her general science cert allows her to teach chemistry and any other science the school might ask her to. So she got the job and I couldn't interview. I had no idea how worthless chemistry and physics certs are.

I'm kind of stunned with all the talk of highly qualified teachers. They don't really want highly qualified teachers. They want teachers they can put wherever they want them so I'm starting work on my general science certificate. Unfortunately, it will take me three years because I have no biology or earth science and need 12 credits in each. I have chemistry and physics which is where the least credits are required. I only need 12 between the two of them and/or physical science. I have the misfortune of having majored in the two areas that they require the least in for the general science cert. Oh well. If you can't beat them, join them. I have to do what I have to do to make myself marketable.

Personally, I don't think it would be a good thing to have me teach biology even after I finish 12 credits. Fortunately, I'm more likely to have to teach something like physical science, which I am highly qualified to teach or physics or chemistry than biology. I've seen a lot of biology teachers who also have the general science cert so there's little risk I'd have to teach biology. Seems silly to have to go back to get this cert just so I can get a job teaching what I already have certs to teach but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
There is a difference between "don't care" and "can't always do something about."
Here it isn't can't. Schools openly advertise for the general science cert and don't bother interviewing those of us who have single subject certs. 7 positions posted this summer in chemistry, physics and math that required the applicant to have a general science cert just to interview. I applied anyway and didn't even get one thanks but no thanks letter.

They can look for subject matter experts. They choose not to. General science cert holders can be put anywhere, whereas, I have to teach one of my majors or my minor.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Then that's where the administrators are failing...and I'm sorry to hear that as well. When I was in school, I often felt like I knew the subject matter than the teachers themselves. I was well past what they were teaching the other students, most of whom I had surpassed as well.

I found school itself to be boring and tedious. And not being a social animal, I don't feel I really benefited from the mandate to attend in any way. I've always been self-directed. And I have always enjoyed my work more when I was self-directed as well.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Here it isn't can't. Schools openly advertise for the general science cert and don't bother interviewing those of us who have single subject certs. 7 positions posted this summer in chemistry, physics and math that required the applicant to have a general science cert just to interview. I applied anyway and didn't even get one thanks but no thanks letter.

They can look for subject matter experts. They choose not to. General science cert holders can be put anywhere, whereas, I have to teach one of my majors or my minor.
Different issue than the one I understood being complained about, which was people teaching subjects for which they are uncertified. But perhaps I am wrong.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM

No, I see how it applies. A teacher certified to teach chemistry is going to be more qualified to teach chemistry than someone who only has a general science certification. But I've seen phys. ed. majors being asked to teach history.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
There are politics involved as well. For some schools, it's looked at as more advantageous to the administration and board to hire generalists than content experts. When this is the prevailing mentality within a given district or school, it can be difficult to impossible to buck that particular trend.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
No, I see how it applies. A teacher certified to teach chemistry is going to be more qualified to teach chemistry than someone who only has a general science certification. But I've seen phys. ed. majors being asked to teach history.
That's what I thought you meant, yes. In those cases, usually it is because of a budget that won't support both positions.

We'll see how long that remains legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching