U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,898 posts, read 5,885,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
You miss the point.

If the person flipping tells me it is a fair coin, but it comes up heads 50 times in a row, the probability is far higher that the person flipping the coin is either wrong about the coin's being fair or is intentionally skewing the flip, than that both flipper and coin are fair.

I would not bet on the next coin flip, regardless, as I could not trust the circumstance - which is my point. I don't trust the claim that the coin is fair, nor the person making the claim.
fine, you're right, I'm getting tired of this

If you were a student in my classroom I would reprimand you for insubordination. But you're not so carry on. You know more about probability than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 PM

54,241 posts, read 71,037,681 times
this will accomplish 3 things.
you will feel better.
you will be blackballed.
you wont get the job ever.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this will accomplish 3 things.
you will feel better.
you will be blackballed.
you wont get the job ever.
yeah, I know; I haven't sent the letter yet

Honestly, I've just lost interest in teaching because of this nonsense.

The saying "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind.

I don't like getting scammed. Normally I forgive and forget, but when I get scammed (and it's happened before), I don't forget.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,936,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I am sending the following letter to Texas Teachers tomorrow (in all fairness, there is more than one alternative certification program out there, but this is the one that I went with, hence the letter being sent to them)

October 6, 2009
Texas Teachers
1600 Airport Freeway
Suite 204
Bedford, TX 76022

Dear Texas Teachers:

I wanted to be a math teacher because I am good at explaining mathematical concepts to people, whether basic or advanced, and I enjoy working with young people. I was under the impression {from the information provided by your company before I took part of your courses} that math teachers are in high demand and that I would have no problem finding a job as a math teacher in junior high or high school.

I spent several hundred dollars on your tuition and state exam fees. I passed TExES math 4-8 and math 8-12. I applied to every school district in Tarrant County plus a few in Dallas County (e.g., Carrollton and Farmers Branch).

As part of my training, I spent a week at Trimble Tech High School in Ft Worth assisting in Algebra I and Algebra II. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and I looked forward to helping students learn, especially those from disadvantaged homes, which is the great majority of students who attend Trimble Tech. One of the students asked me if I was going to be back next week, and I was sorry to say that I wasn't.

I was very disappointed by the response I got from school districts. Crowley ISD was nice enough to send me a rejection letter while everyone else ignored me. I got one interview in Arlington ISD and no job offer or rejection letter.

I am writing you to let you know that I am very dissatisfied with your false claims. Essentially, your organization is a fraud. There were hundreds of people in your training seminar, all of whom were excited about making a positive difference in students' lives. Very few of them will actually be able to do that. The vast majority of your customers, like myself, will be disappointed and angry that they wasted time and money looking for teaching jobs that do not exist.

By making false claims that the alternative certification program and resume tips from an HR representative will result in a high likelihood of getting a job, especially in math and science, you are doing people a disservice and basically stealing their money.

I have spoken to several people on this subject, and I have informed them that the wild claims that certified teachers, especially in math and science, are difficult for schools to find, is a joke.

I am going to write my state representatives to ask them to shut down the alternative certification program on account of it being a fraud.

I would like for you to shut your doors because you are a fraud, and it makes no difference to schools since they will continue to hire people from universities with teaching certificates and student teaching experience.

Sincerely,

I wanted to be a math teacher because I do well with explaining mathematical concepts to people, whether basic or advanced, and I enjoy working with young people. I was under the impression that math teachers are in high demand and that I would have no problem finding a job as a math teacher in junior high or high school.

As part of my training, I spent a week at Trimble Tech High School in Ft Worth assisting in Algebra I and Algebra II. I greatly enjoyed my time there, and I looked forward to helping students learn, especially those from disadvantaged homes, which is the great majority of students who attend Trimble Tech. One of the students asked me if I was going to be back next week, and I was sorry to say that I wasn't. I spent several hundred dollars on your tuition and state exam fees. I passed TExES math 4-8 and math 8-12. I applied to every school district in Tarrant County plus a few in Dallas County (e.g., Carrollton and Farmers Branch).

I was very disappointed by the response I got from school districts. Crowley ISD was nice enough to send me a rejection letter while everyone else ignored me. I got one interview in Arlington ISD and no job offer or rejection letter. I am writing you to let you know that I am very dissatisfied with your false claims. Essentially, your organization is a fraud. There were hundreds of people in your training seminar, all of whom were excited about making a positive difference in students' lives. Very few of them will actually be able to do that. The vast majority of your customers, like me, will be disappointed and angry that they wasted time and money looking for teaching jobs that do not exist.

By making false claims that the alternative certification program and resume tips from an HR representative will result in a high likelihood of getting a job, especially in math and science, you are doing people a disservice and basically stealing their money. I have spoken with several people on this subject, and I have informed them that the wild claims (we are talking about more than one so later in the sentence….) that certified teachers, especially in math and science, are difficult for schools to find, are a joke.

I am going to write to our state representatives to ask them to shut down the alternative certification program on account of it being a fraud. I would like for you to shut your doors because you are a fraud, and it makes no difference to schools since they will continue to hire people from universities with teaching certificates and student teaching experience.

Sincerely,

I took the liberty to spend just a couple moments profreeding this and pointed out a few errors. I know I am not perfect with grammar as it is a very in depth subject but I feel that any grammar expert here may agree: getting a teaching job with this type of grammar and paragraph phrasing may be more difficult than you may realize. Along with the mistakes highlighted, I attempted to put together three sentences per paragraph and arranged your timeline. In the quoted area you will see it reads:
  1. I had a dream
  2. I took part in your courses
  3. I pasted the tests
  4. then back to what training you did before those tests
  5. then forward again to I was not hired
I understand your fursteration, however, I feel that maybe you may need to brush up on your resume writting skills, your communication skills, and your grammar. You may find getting a job easier. Here if I were writting this I might have said this:

To Whom it Concerns:

I wanted to share with you my experience with the courses I took through your establishment. I have been very excited to become a math teacher because one of my strengths is explaining mathematical concepts to people in a way that they can easily understand them. I also enjoy working with young people and was looking forward to making a difference in kids lives. As part of my training, I had the life changing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children, especially the many from disadvantaged homes, while I spent a week assisting with Algebra I and Algebra II at Trimble Tech High School in Fort Worth. One student even asked if I would be returning next week and I have to admit I was sorry to say I was not. I had the chance to see first hand the challenges that teaching can have and was ready to face them as I developed as a teacher with the training your courses provided.

I started out very excited for the opportunity to better my skills and knowledge with your courses due to the strong claims of job placement upon finishing your courses. I spent several hundred dollars on your tuition and state exam fees. I passed TExES math 4-8 and math 8-12. I applied to every school district in Tarrant County plus a few in Dallas County (e.g., Carrollton and Farmers Branch). I felt very confident that with your training, my diligent work in passing the courses, my strong passion to make a difference, and especially with the strong claims that there were so many job opportunities, I would be able to land a job with ease and was happy to invest my time in money to help the greater good.

On the contrary, I was very disappointed by the response I got from school districts. Crowley ISD was nice enough to send me a rejection letter while everyone else ignored me. I got one interview in Arlington ISD and no job offer or rejection letter. Overall, their did not seem to be much need of a math teacher and did not even take the time to write or call to let me know whether or not they were interested in a second interview.

I am writing you to let you know that I am very dissatisfied with your false claims. Essentially, I feel that your organization is a fraud. There were hundreds of people in your training seminar, all of whom were excited about making a positive difference in students' lives. Very few of them will actually be able to do that. The vast majority of your customers, like me, will be disappointed and angry that they wasted time and money looking for teaching jobs that do not exist. By making false claims that the alternative certification program and resume tips from an HR representative will result in a high likelihood of getting a job, especially in math and science, you are doing people a disservice and essentially stealing their money. I have spoken several people on this subject, and I have informed them that the wild claims that certified teachers, especially in math and science, are difficult for schools to find, are a joke.

I would like you to know that I am going to write to our state representatives to ask them to shut down the alternative certification program on account of it being a fraud. I will take written statements from those who finished the courses with me as secondary proof of such. Personally, I would like for you to shut your doors because you are a fraud, and it makes no difference to schools since they will continue to hire people from universities with teaching certificates and student teaching experience.

Sincerely,

In the end, personally, I find it all to be a waste of time. Maybe you can learn something from your experience. One thing though, never see it as a bad experience. That negative thinking will spill into your interviews without you even realizing it. Think of it as a great learning opportunity, regardless of the sore outcome you feel it gave you. You do have experiences now that you can put on any resume to spice it up, whether or not you go into teaching. Helping kids, even for a week, may seem pretty great to another employer elsewhere at a different time. Good luck on the job search.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 PM

29,097 posts, read 33,434,710 times
Sounds like supply excedes demand & they can be picky. Must be a buyers market.

Try something else.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,398,924 times
The world is not a math problem ,when times are hard connections are needed ,don't hurt in good times either.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I wanted to be a math teacher because I do well with explaining mathematical concepts to people, whether basic or advanced, and I enjoy working with young people. I was under the impression that math teachers are in high demand and that I would have no problem finding a job as a math teacher in junior high or high school.

In the end, personally, I find it all to be a waste of time. Maybe you can learn something from your experience. One thing though, never see it as a bad experience. That negative thinking will spill into your interviews without you even realizing it. Think of it as a great learning opportunity, regardless of the sore outcome you feel it gave you. You do have experiences now that you can put on any resume to spice it up, whether or not you go into teaching. Helping kids, even for a week, may seem pretty great to another employer elsewhere at a different time. Good luck on the job search.
I appreciate the time you took to fix up my letter.

I don't regret spending a week in the high school. I have a job now (pension consulting), and I like my job, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM

Some more news on this subject that I got today:

1) A teacher friend of mine says he knows several teachers that want out of the field (some of which don't leave because of the bad job market overall, which we've read about before).

2) My mother has a standard Texas math teaching certificate and several years experience, and recently went to a sub job fair for Crowley ISD. She wants to teach occasionally, not every day. She said she waited for three hours before speaking with someone. When there are that many people who want to be subs, you know things are REALLY bad.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,936,848 times
Quote:
I appreciate the time you took to fix up my letter.

I don't regret spending a week in the high school. I have a job now (pension consulting), and I like my job, so I'm sticking with it for now.
I'm glad you weren't offended. It is sometimes hard to portray intent online. I noticed I missed one, in the last paragraph the word fraud is used twice. I'd switch one to scam.

Its good to hear you have a job as so many people don't. If teaching is your passion, put yourself out there. Sub if you can or volunteer. Just approach the school with, "Hey, this is who I am. I understand the struggles you all are facing and would like to have the opportunity to help out stuggling kids. Do you have any volunteer opportunities available?" Heck, if you could even get your foot in the door tutoring kids after school One day a week, especially if they are struggling kids and you make an obvious difference, you'll have at the very least, a very good referance/recommendation for something later down the line in that same school or otherwise.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,139,458 times
Quote:
Some more news on this subject that I got today:

1) A teacher friend of mine says he knows several teachers that want out of the field (some of which don't leave because of the bad job market overall, which we've read about before).

2) My mother has a standard Texas math teaching certificate and several years experience, and recently went to a sub job fair for Crowley ISD. She wants to teach occasionally, not every day. She said she waited for three hours before speaking with someone. When there are that many people who want to be subs, you know things are REALLY bad.
Same here. I know a few teachers who want to retire but are scared to because of the economy.

Ditto on subs here too. Many districts have closed their sub lists.

Teaching is a glutted field. It's frustrating for those of us who made this change because they were crying shortage. There is no shortage. There might have been if they hadn't sounded the alarms but too many answered the call. Most of us need to move into other fields.

I just found out there's a major expansion underway at a plant near me and they are hiring chemical engineers. I'll toss my hat in the ring and see what happens. I keep hearing there is a shortage of chemical engineers too but I'm sure you'll understand if I take that with a grain of salt.

Have you considered applying at a community college? In a down economy, many people decide to go to college and start at community colleges. Of course the one CC job fair I went to, I waited in line to interview for a chemistry position, sigh. With so many out of work (15% here), the lines do get long. Hopefully, it's better where you are.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-07-2009 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or