U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM

54,795 posts, read 71,539,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Are you saying they can't find jobs or they choose to work there instead?

Right now, I'd take that or any other job that comes along. I made my safety rules very clear from day one. I remind the kids before any lab of them. The no eating rule gets reminded all the time because it's a normal rule (because our class is our lab) and someone pushes it, at least, once a week (and I still find candy wrappers on the floor from the kids I don't catch). But the office thinks I need to remind students, warn them and call their parents before taking action?

Yeah, I'll take an office job. I just hope I find one before I'm fired. I'm sure this is the beginning of setting me up to be fired. I'm rocking the boat and I've been told that all you have to do to get fired at this school is not be liked. Unfortunately, in this class, I'm ineffective because the kids know they have to be warned before anything can happen to them. I have about 7 in this class who take turns seeing how they can disrupt class knowing I have to warn them once and call mom before I can send them to the office and I can't call mom until after school. I have to admit with everything else on my plate I'm not good at getting phone calls home made. I only made about 35 in October.

Because the infractions in this class are usually borderline, the kids paint it to their parents as I pick on them. Honestly, some of these behaviors would be ignored in a class where I only had one or two kids doing them. When it's six or seven it's enough to disrupt class. This class has me waking up with a knot in my stomache every morning. I need to get out of this job. I made the biggest mistake of my life going into teaching. When a class can win, it's time to leave and hope the next teacher has a better handle on things. With three lab based preps, one of which is a new class I'm writing the curriculum for as I go, requirements ot remediate failing students, a large number of special ed students who need extra help and usually no para, students who need tutoring after school....I, all too often, get to the end of the day and realize I had six calls home to make but didn't get to them. I've learned the hard way that if I call tomorrow I get "Was he a problem today?". I need a secretary.
hostile high stress, negative people, welfare is indeed all these things and many teachers end up working there gladly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,327,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hostile high stress, negative people, welfare is indeed all these things and many teachers end up working there gladly.
That is very sad but I can see it. If I worked for the Welfare department, at least I could leave my job at work instead of having to drag it home with me.

Cross your fingers. Rumor has it a big chemical plant here is about to put on a major expansion and they're saying there really is a shortage of chemical engineers. Of course, there aren't that many jobs for chemical engineers either so it's still hard to find one unless you're willing to relocate and we're stuck a couple more years until my husband is ready to reatire.

I also now have a math major now and getting out from under three lab based preps with no support or even extra pay for the extra work would probably do a lot for my morale (not greed but if more work meant more pay I could do something like hire a housekeeper and reduce my worklaoad at home to make up for the added workload at school.). If I taught three math classes, I wouldn't have labs to set up, tear down or grade. I wouldn't have demos to set up and tear down. I wouldn't have to maintain chemical inventory. I wouldn't stay until 8:00 recovering chemicals so they can be used again next year (either that or disposal which means storing chemicals until we have enough to ask for a disposal truck) (We're not on a municipal water system so I very little can go down the drain.).

I have come to one conclusion. NO ONE should be hiring a first year teacher to be the ONLY teacher teaching chemistry and physics. Not only do I have the typical issues of a new teacher, I have no one to train me. I have to reinvent the wheel. I should be under a master teacher. There is a LOT more to teaching science than other subjects. To be thrown to the wind is rediculous. If you can only afford one teacher for chemistry and physics, make is someone who has taught them before. Just looking at last year to this year there's a huge difference in my teaching and I know I don't have it down yet. In two more years (God forbid but in this market I could still be stuck where I am), there will be no comparison to this year. I expect that by my 5th year, I may have it figured out. That could have happened so much faster if I had a mentor in my subject area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or