U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,199,661 times

Advertisements

In our district, it's 45K-50K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,060,205 times
Or you could go out to South Dakota where it will be in the 15K range. Starting salaries posted on a web site all all well and good but if you take a starting salary of say 50K-which sounds really good-but then discover that you can't rent an apartment for less then 2000/month-it stops sounding good pretty fast.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 AM

25,391 posts, read 29,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Or you could go out to South Dakota where it will be in the 15K range. Starting salaries posted on a web site all all well and good but if you take a starting salary of say 50K-which sounds really good-but then discover that you can't rent an apartment for less then 2000/month-it stops sounding good pretty fast.
I had a friend who accepted an engineering job in California, years ago. He was so excited because they doubled his salary to go out there. He was back in Michigan (this is when there were jobs here) in six months because he couldn't live there on double his salary here. He needed more like four times his salary.

COL in the area is a major consideration. Right after I lost my engineering job, I was offered a job in the south for about 2/3 of what I had been making but it would have been a great wage for the area. Unfortunately, that wasn't an area my husband could work in.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,330,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It varies greatly depending on region, size, various district specifics, etc. My mom's district (rural/small town consolidated k-8 district, Midwestern) starts at $27K. It's all publicly searchable. There is no variability by subject, due to it being union contract. The only pay scale differences have to do with level of degree, seniority, and tenure. The union would not stand for a different pay rate for a new grad, bachelor's degree-holding math instructor than for the person with the same level of schooling who will be teaching language arts or el ed.
The pay in SD is a little higher starting than previously posted. Depending on what part of the state your in, it can be as low as $ 20,000. Still, not very lucrative considering that new grads, especially in elementary ed. usually have to move to some little town in the boonies or a reservation where there is nothing to do BUT teach. There is a major glut in this particular field of teaching especially. Unless you're lucky to have nepotism, it can take years of substitute teaching to finally land a job where you may want to work.

The pay here, like mentioned in other parts of the country, is not based upon what is taught or the quality of the teacher. Physics, chemistry, and math teachers make the same as PE jumping jack teachers within each district's scale. Once again, pay is based on level of degree, seniority, tenure, and continuing ed classes.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 PM

409 posts, read 2,368,312 times
37,000 to 42,000 in southern Texas!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,348,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The pay in SD is a little higher starting than previously posted. Depending on what part of the state your in, it can be as low as $ 20,000. Still, not very lucrative considering that new grads, especially in elementary ed. usually have to move to some little town in the boonies or a reservation where there is nothing to do BUT teach. There is a major glut in this particular field of teaching especially. Unless you're lucky to have nepotism, it can take years of substitute teaching to finally land a job where you may want to work.

The pay here, like mentioned in other parts of the country, is not based upon what is taught or the quality of the teacher. Physics, chemistry, and math teachers make the same as PE jumping jack teachers within each district's scale. Once again, pay is based on level of degree, seniority, tenure, and continuing ed classes.
If you're an elementary major, you are lucky if you can find a job subbing in this economy. Before the recession, there was a huge surplus of elementary teachers. I had to take a job in a small town in AZ that no one wanted to live in after I graduated in 2004.

Assuming you are lucky enough to find a job, in AZ I started out at 27,000 plus I got some bonus Prop 301 money at the end of the year. The prop 301 money totaled around 2,000 dollars.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,060,205 times
Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

This lists the average by state for starting salaries, none of which are in the 50K range some are claiming.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,677,908 times
I live on the border of Arkansas and Oklahoma. Both have a similar cost of living.

Financially speaking, Oklahoma's education system is in shambles. The average starting salary there is around 28K.

Arkansas' education system is in pretty good shape with a strong financial foundation, but the average salary is not much more; it is around 33K for first year teachers with a bachelor degree.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 AM

7,839 posts, read 12,041,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

This lists the average by state for starting salaries, none of which are in the 50K range some are claiming.
That's the averages. For instance, it shows the starting salary in VA at $33,200, but in my district it is about $45k

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,283,966 times
The city areas of Texas pay a lot more than the rural areas of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or