Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,018 times

Advertisements

I teach in Northern VA and highly suggest looking here. I love it here. I have worked in four schools and am SO happy at my current school. It is a wonderful school with very driven teachers who are wonderfully dedicated and gifted. I love it.

I agree with the others who recommended adding as many endorsements as possible. I should take that advice and add more endorsements myself. I currently only have LD/ED K-12 and Secondary Language Arts (general education). I should add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I teach in Northern VA and highly suggest looking here. I love it here. I have worked in four schools and am SO happy at my current school. It is a wonderful school with very driven teachers who are wonderfully dedicated and gifted. I love it.
Same here. I have taught in Northern VA for 17 years and find the community and schools to be very supportive of education. I have never once felt underappreciated, nor have I been lacking supplies/materials.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 AM

320 posts, read 711,600 times
We have already received info from the Superintendent that it will be a tough year -- budget wise. There is an "informal" hiring freeze right now. They are holding all positions open until they figure out how many people they need to find jobs for (including teachers, teacher asst. etc.). I will bet they won't be hiring until late in the summer (until they have placed all the destaffed employees first). I am also in Northern Virginia.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Well, in the counties that keep building schools to alleviate over-crowding, it's hard to imagine that they would not being hiring at least a few new teachers....

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Don't be so sure. I'm reading article after article about how many baby boomers are rethinking retirement and now planning on working until they die. No one is in a rush to retire in a bad economy and we're years away from a recovery which will be a weak recovery. Now when the baby boomers start dying off, that'll be another story.

I agree.

I served two terms on our school board ( 15 years ago) and you knew how many teachers would be retiring based on their eligibility.

I learned that isn't true today in our small school district.

Teachers are still working past their eligibility dates and new retirees have been very few.

This ( people working past their retirement dates) has hurt the job opportunities of many college grads.

Many of those teachers who are still working past their retirement eligibility date got their jobs ( 30+ years ago) due to openings created by teachers retiring when they were eligible.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM

320 posts, read 711,600 times
Yes, several of the teachers who had planned to retire have changed their minds and will continue working for a "few" more years. They took a hit on their retirement savings so they are working longer to make it up.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, in the counties that keep building schools to alleviate over-crowding, it's hard to imagine that they would not being hiring at least a few new teachers....
They will be hiring. Even though the total number of teachers will be decreasing due to program cuts and increase in class size, they will still need to hire new teachers. With over 20,000 school based positions we have hundreds who retire or move each year.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM

306 posts, read 758,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
Keep your chin up- Dec. 2011 is still two years away and I really hope the economy improves by then, for all of our sakes. My school (NYC) will actually have a bunch of openings next Sept. because people are retiring. Also, being new, you will be CHEAP which will appeal to districts; if you were coming to NYC this would definitely be a point in your favor.
Really? What about the Bronx? I'm apprehensive about coming to even sub in the Bronx because of all the wishy-washy things I'm hearing about hiring freezes even on Science teachers City-wide...even looking at trying to live outside the City over in Jersey and dealing with them from there ... actually I'm not so much worried about lack of work subbing in the South Bronx as I am about nowhere to LIVE until I start getting paid. As in, I can't be expected to commute from the WEST COAST while I wait to get paid, now can I?!?! Or live up in Canada where I can collect welfare for the first few months while I commute in from there and then look for a roof over my head after that! If this is what New York expects their subs to do, then even it has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime too.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM

306 posts, read 758,893 times
I hear the Philadelphia school district hires subs every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching