Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 18,380 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelor's degree in secondary education and linguistics & a Master's in ESOL. I have another unfinished bachelor's degree in Economics (3 years out of 4). I am in the process of getting my first teaching license (ESOL) in TN. I understand that the job market is tough. I do not have any official teaching experience except for student teaching for 6 months. I would like to get additional endorsements.
How do you go about getting them? I am interested in Middle Grades Math & maybe SPED. I only have 12 credit hours of Math from my education in economics. I am getting ready to take PRAXIS Middle School Math & PRAXIS Principles of Learning and Teaching 5-9. I have already passed ESOL K-12.

Do you just take PRAXIS exams for those areas or do you have to go get additional degrees? How does it work in your state?

I am particularly interested in Tennessee, Virginia & Maryland. I live close to Tennessee but I am in love with Washington D.C.

Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by Caramelka; 01-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I believe you need X amount of hours in a content area. Some states may require student teaching for each content area as well.

I had to take an general education Early Elementary test to be highly qualified for special education high school resource room (Michigan) but was not certified to teach general education at early elementary level without course work.

Kind of ironic, you could pass the appropriate Praxis test and not be considered "qualified" to teach that subject since the course work is supposed to prepare you to pass the Praxis...

Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
NC allows additions with just passing another praxis. I also took the content and pedegogy classes for each new addition just because I thought it was important.

Middle school mathematics and SPED? Personally, I think that is a great combination even if you go into a regular ed class.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,876 times
I think it depends. In VA, I added an endorsement by taking the Praxis II in that area. However, I am not sure that is true with adding an LD/ED endorsement. I just don't know. Sorry.

I think the combination of LD/ED and Middle Grades Math is great! I'm sure you will be quite valuable.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
NC allows additions with just passing another praxis. I also took the content and pedegogy classes for each new addition just because I thought it was important.

Middle school mathematics and SPED? Personally, I think that is a great combination even if you go into a regular ed class.

Seriously? Does this hold true for SpEd? Like learning disabilities?

This would so save me from having to be in class for 30 credits to get a LD endorsement and take a few classes I really want to like admin...

Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seriously? Does this hold true for SpEd? Like learning disabilities?

This would so save me from having to be in class for 30 credits to get a LD endorsement and take a few classes I really want to like admin...
I honestly do not know for LD endorsement. When I called the NCDPI about adding licenses, I was asking only for subjects. With today's job market I want as much flexibility as possible when I start looking for a job in my children's school district.

The woman who answered at NCDPI was very nice and helpful, by the way.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Not that you are looking in MN but here you have to have a degree in a subject area, math for example, and a minor in secondary education to get your license. With a degree in Economics you would not be able to get a job here-you would only be certified to teach Econ and although it is required at many high schools you would be up against teachers with more certification areas (social sciences). To teach SPED you would have to have a degree in SPED.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
The best thing to do is to look into each state's certification. They're all on-line. TN - Office of Teacher Licensing of the Tennessee Department of Education MD- Overview and VA - Teacher Education and Licensure (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/newvdoe/teached.html - broken link)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I'm not sure if I understood your OP correctly, so can you tell me if you're actually licensed to teach in your state? I know sometimes people do the coursework and then for whatever reason, never get licensed. I'm not sure about your state, but here we can't just take a praxis, w/o the appropriate coursework, but you've done that. Have you contacted the Dept of Elem and secondary ed for your state?

Here in MO, once you are licensed to teach, you can pick up additional certification by taking the praxis for that subject. I found out which ones I'm eligible to take by going on our state's DESE website, and there is a list of tests and those with a red star by them were ones I'd be eligible to take, so I'm planning on taking the sped ones next Saturday, though I've never had a course on that in my life. Well I can read a textbook whether I'm paying for a college course or not, and if I have any questions I can just ask any sped teacher I know, and I know a lot of them.

I also have my degree in economics and decided much later in life that I wanted to teach, so I went thru the ABCTE program to get my teaching license and got it in English Language Arts 6-12, but wasn't able to get sped thru that program, so I'm getting that by taking the praxis. I'm glad I was able to do this b/c my oldest starts college next fall and I didn't want to use her college money to pay for mine.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I started out in NYC as a dual-certified SPED (gr. 5-9) and Middle School generalist, both granted when I completed my M.Ed. When I moved to another state, they accepted only the SPED credential (reclassified to K-12), so I added Middle School Math by way of the Praxis exam. I can add the other Middle School subjects by Praxis as well, but for now it's not worth the extra $$$.

Unfortunately, it does vary by state, so I'll second the suggestion to contact the DoE for the state where you want to teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching