Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
My nephew worked for a while scoring essays for standardized tests, Ivory.

In our town we have Imaginarium, a science museum. What city do you live in? Perhaps there is something like that.

What about Sylvan Learning Center? We have a lot of teachers who have tutored there after school & summer.
Sylvan requires 3 years experience teaching the subjects you tutor. I'm in my second year teaching chemistry and physics. While I'm certified in math, having only student taught math, they wouldn't hire me to tutor math. I do plan on picking up some tutoring work once I'm able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
A friend of mine homeschools his child, and did so as he became certified to teach math. Even before he completed his degree, he was doing formal tutoring and teaching classes for his homeschoolers group. In this area, many families are able to do a kind of à la carte system for their children. There are sports and arts lessons, and people like my fried who provide individual or groups instruction in specialized subjects. These parents are not trying to avoid certified teachers. They are more interested in customizing their children's curriculum and avoiding the disruptions and indoctrination they associate with public schools.

The question of whether or not parents should or must be certified to teach their children in order to make them qualified to teach certain subjects has been hotly debated. After spending a career in struggling schools, I can tell you that a parent who is willing to learn what it takes to teach a subject on a high school level is probably better qualified than an ignorant, poorly prepared, lazy, crazy teacher with a certificate. I have seen plenty of them.

On the other hand, I consider myself qualified to teach several subjects for which I do not hold a certificate. My endorsements are in mathematics and French. However I could also teach most liberal arts and some lower-level science classes--not physics, chemistry, or advanced biology.

I looked online for "mobile science labs" and found several responses. I didn't know anything about the issue of chemical disposal, but I'm sure that the other labs listed could consult with you about how they do their operations. With your connections in industry, you might could write a grant to put something together to take care of your start-up costs and initial operating expenses.

From a day-to-day standpoint, you would not be trapped by an unreasonable administration, pandering parents and the students with a case of entitlement overindulgence. You would be working with children for whom you would be a special time in their routine, whether it was a regular client you see every week, or a one-off trip to an afterschool program or summer camp.

I might even think about doing something like that myself after I retire!
Exactly. I know my own limitations, and would not attempt to teach high school level physics or chemistry to my own children... I'll send them to the local community college for those types of courses if I can not find an appropriate teacher/tutor among the homeschoolers that I know. When someone insinuates, however, that I'm not qualified to teach my six year old and nine year old children (after going through 12 years of public school and several semesters of college), then they are basically saying that the public school system taught me squat. Which, if that were true, would be one reason for not wanting one's own children in said system, right?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Exactly. I know my own limitations, and would not attempt to teach high school level physics or chemistry to my own children... I'll send them to the local community college for those types of courses if I can not find an appropriate teacher/tutor among the homeschoolers that I know. When someone insinuates, however, that I'm not qualified to teach my six year old and nine year old children (after going through 12 years of public school and several semesters of college), then they are basically saying that the public school system taught me squat. Which, if that were true, would be one reason for not wanting one's own children in said system, right?
No. They're saying you didn't learn to be a teacher. Having graduated from high school doesn't mean you're qualified to teach. It's not the purpose of high school to prepare you to teach. Having graduated college doesn't mean you're qualified to teach. If it did, I wouldn't have had to have gone back to school to get a teaching certificate. It depends on what you studied in college (you can't teach what you don't know) and your abilities. By your logic, the fact they required an ed degree AND a certificate of me on top of a masters in engineering means they taught me squat in engineering school??? Interesting "logic" there.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-09-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,431,435 times
Where I am, there are lots of museums that like to hire history, math and science teachers for the summer months. Down on the coast, the aquariums were always glad to get science teachers.

In any tourist area, you could possibly get jobs working in a restaurant, bar, or pub.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Where I am, there are lots of museums that like to hire history, math and science teachers for the summer months. Down on the coast, the aquariums were always glad to get science teachers.

In any tourist area, you could possibly get jobs working in a restaurant, bar, or pub.
I haven't waited tables since I was a teenager. I wonder if I remember how . I'm thinking hostess is more my speed these days,

Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,633,184 times
Science.gov : USA.gov for Science - Government Science Portal

This might be interesting for you, too:
Cornell Center for Materials Research

It's only one week, but you get to learn AND get a stipend.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,633,184 times
This is not explicitly for the OP, but for the general topic:
Teachers of Science: Professional Development (http://www.ocmboces.org/iss/mstsite/eventsworkshops.htm - broken link)

The data is from 2008, but many of the folks are still doing the stuff mentioned on this page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching