U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:32 PM

10,266 posts, read 16,317,830 times
There are colleges out there that have specific teaching programs for inner city school teachers. If that's what you really think you want to do, then you should look into that. Here's a PA public school that has a specific program to work with Migrant workers children Millersville University - Migrant Education Here's one at the University of Chicago - The University of Chicago Urban Teacher Education Program | Home If you google, "urban education, teaching programs" you'll find more.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 AM

17,380 posts, read 14,544,585 times
Extreme patience and resilience are things I draw on more than any type of formalized training in educating, to be honest.

Do you have the patience of a saint? Can you bounce back easily and cheerfully from setbacks? Can you let harsh things roll off you and still give your job your all? You'll need all of these things.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM

10,040 posts, read 14,367,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
It sounds exciting! Well, I don't know. I don't mind hard work, but I need to feel like I can get it done. The best course of action may be to get a lot of information from teachers, parents, and adminstration about the students I'm planning to work with and the type of instruction that works well with those students. It would also be helpful for me to do a lot of reading about success in inner-city schools and maybe present a very thorough plan with my resume? This way they would know that I've done my research, and we would already be somewhat familiar with each other from the beginning. Maybe it would be helpful to work as a sub in the district in which I want to teach. I could also perhaps volunteer for community services, such as tutoring or literacy programs.
I think you should definitely volunteer and otherwise get to know the communities you're interested in teaching in. I'm not a teacher, but I have worked in educational-related positions in the "inner city." (as well as went to city public schools myself, although in a district that managed to retain a middle and upper class presence in addition to the classic problems of extreme poverty and other issues you find in every urban school district).

Again, I'm not coming at this from the point of view as a teacher, but I think one thing to avoid would be to look at the kids as though they're some sort of exotic foreign species that can be studied from afar. I know that's not what you're saying here, and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but sometimes people come in with high expectations and idealistic beliefs but no actual practical experience, and that can be annoying. Your idea to volunteer or tutor is an excellent one. I don't think it even needs to be academic in nature; maybe something "fun" like afterschool programs at a neighborhood park or center, for example. Something where you can really start to get a sense for the issues facing these kids and their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching