Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

I am graduating this May with my masters degree and am wanting to move to Nashville right after to begin teaching in grades Pre-k through 3rd. I have been researching a lot on the topic but am not finding nearly enough! =/

Does anyone know the possibility of finding a job in the primary grades? (could be public/charter/private) Especially being a new teacher with only substituting experience.....

And what other school districts/counties should I look for other than MNPS? I would like to live near the city since I would be moving up alone.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 01:22 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
Nashville is not really that safe for a single girl. Look at the outlaying areas. Towns like Whitehouse would be a good call. Teaching jobs are always very hard to find. Lots of colleges in the area. But on a good note the state budget is not as bad as many others. Private schools might be your best bet. Your pay will be low and Nashville has a high cost of living. Nashville dose not have charter schools that I know of but this may have changed. Have not been down that way in a few years. MNPS always has a few openings. Mostly will be at bad schools. WhiteHouse and Brentwood are good districts. and schools good luck.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I don't live in Nashville now, but when I did I worked on the Dominican Campus. There Pre-K through 8th grade school is Overbrook School :: A PreK to 8 Catholic School of the Dominican Campus in Nashville, TN Fantastic place to work! Call up and ask if they have openings! Congrats on finishing up school!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM

191 posts, read 457,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Nashville is not really that safe for a single girl. Look at the outlaying areas. Towns like Whitehouse would be a good call. Teaching jobs are always very hard to find. Lots of colleges in the area. But on a good note the state budget is not as bad as many others. Private schools might be your best bet. Your pay will be low and Nashville has a high cost of living. Nashville dose not have charter schools that I know of but this may have changed. Have not been down that way in a few years. MNPS always has a few openings. Mostly will be at bad schools. WhiteHouse and Brentwood are good districts. and schools good luck.
WHAT?!?! I lived in Nashville for 6 years as a single girl and all of us single girls did just fine. The city is full of single people in their 20's. Also, Nashville does not have a high cost of living compared to other cities near its size.

I loved living in Nashville, and only moved because this single girl got married to a lawyer in Atlanta.

If you want to get your foot in the door try some of the elementary schools in East Nashville. They are not as desirable as the one's in the nicer areas of Nashville, and therefore have more turnover. It could be a good way to start. Also, you may just end up liking it. I am a middle school teacher, and have always worked with the students that many would consider "difficult" because of their ethnicity, gangs, etc. However, I love them.

Teaching is hard. Period. It does not matter if you have the rich kids of the poor kids. Having the rich kids means you have parents breathing down your neck, and the kids are used to being handed everything. Having the poor kids means you wish there were parents that were involved, and the kids may be sleeping in class because they drove their drunk father home (just had a 13 year old who did that).

I would not move to those suggested cities if you are single because there won't be as many single people around you. Oh, and try the KIPP school in Nashville. You will work a little harder (some Saturday school, etc.) but they are really passionate about education and the pay is a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching