Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
First off, I didn't say that condoms weren't effective, or expensive. I'm saying the lack of support is appalling.. that's all.

And we did practice safe sex, we just made a mistake ONE time. And no, it has no baring on using a condom effectively, because we did. Like I said, it was a personal oversight. But, had the schools reinforced abstinence as a TRUE alternative, and had my parents done the same, I don't think I would have had sex as early as I did in my relationship.. Just my feelings. Parents are a lot more influential in a child's life.. what they reinforce normally ends up happening. Had my mom not given me a mixed message.. well maybe things would have been different. Who knows. All I know is that my boys will be taught that we expect them to stay abstinent.

Basically, the way my parents (as well as the school) teaches is "Well, don't have sex.. BUT if you DO have sex!!!!! (and sex is AWESOME) then you should use protection..."

Why worry about being abstinent if sex is so amazing? And if teens are emotionally ready for sex (which is a lie.. but that's another tangent of mine

I think you are sort of inferring that I'm not taking responsibility for what happened to me, and that's not true. My husband and I raised my son and never looked for anyone to do it for us.. that would have shown lack of responsibility.. but are there many factors as to why I got pregnant? Sure.
I think you make a very good point about the mixed message being presented by most sex ed programs and some parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Can you not understand that NFP IS birth control?
I made a physical mistake, leaving my calendar at school, it wasn't a flaw with the education.

Extremely ineffective birth control, far less so than condoms or the pill. That's why no competent or effective sex ed course teaches it as a viable birth control method.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Can you not understand that NFP IS birth control?
I made a physical mistake, leaving my calendar at school, it wasn't a flaw with the education.
So you agree then, you feel the education was effective as far as it could go, right?

Quote:
Secondly, enforcing and being enthusiastic about abstinence wasn't part of the education I saw/experienced.

I wasn't talking specifically of sex ed but the entire societal makeup surrounding the subject.

While, yes, when it all comes down to it, I made the choice to have sex. I'm not denying that. However, I am suggesting that this society isn't kind to virgins.. and if parents, schools, society isn't reinforcing abstinence then why do we complain when a teen gets pregnant?
Well I agree that high school peers are not kind to virgins usually. Parents and teachers should be. I completely disagree with abstinence-only but I wholeheartedly support abstinence-encouragement. And your story reinforces my position; thank you for sharing btw.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:08 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Extremely ineffective birth control, far less so than condoms or the pill. That's why no competent or effective sex ed course teaches it as a viable birth control method.

Did you read the link I provided? It's the only contraceptive that actually isn't harmful in any way.. and on top of that, it actually works.

Plus there are a multitude of other benefits, getting women in tune with their bodies, being aware of what happens during the cycle, etc.

You can sit there are SAY that it's ineffective, but that's ignoring the facts.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So you agree then, you feel the education was effective as far as it could go, right?

Well I agree that high school peers are not kind to virgins usually. Parents and teachers should be. I completely disagree with abstinence-only but I wholeheartedly support abstinence-encouragement. And your story reinforces my position; thank you for sharing btw.

No, I don't believe it was effective because it taught me (as well as my peers) that we can't control ourselves and that everyone's doing it... and that it's okay.

You are welcome, at least you support abstinence encouragement.. that's something we can both agree on

Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
no the fact is that it isn't effective - cycles change (especially at a younger age) and the amount of data you need to track to even start to get it reliable is overwhelming

not to mention that sperm can live while in you for a while - which is something that many people forget when they track go days and no-go days

it's not a bad method for those who are opposed to using other forms of birth control due to individual beliefs - but it's best used by those who are responsible enough and mature enough to log over a long span of time and are in a committed relationship

i'm also still waiting to hear any reasonable way that condoms are harmful to bodies

Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Did you read the link I provided? It's the only contraceptive that actually isn't harmful in any way.. and on top of that, it actually works.

Plus there are a multitude of other benefits, getting women in tune with their bodies, being aware of what happens during the cycle, etc.

You can sit there are SAY that it's ineffective, but that's ignoring the facts.

The facts?

I don't have any kids. You do. There's a fact. Condoms 1, NFP 0.

What you listed may be benefits to some, but it's beside the point. It's ineffective as birth control.

Also, please explain how condoms are harmful.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The facts?

I don't have any kids. You do. There's a fact. Condoms 1, NFP 0.

What you listed may be benefits to some, but it's beside the point. It's ineffective as birth control.

Also, please explain how condoms are harmful.

HAHAHAHA. That's hilarious.
Okay, first off, I have two kids. ONE was an "oops" but please, I can find at least 30 women who were on chemical birth control that have had an oops. NONE of the methods are full proof.. so your ancedotal oh, I don't have any kids and you do.. really? that doesn't play out..

It's not ineffective.. can you read? I mean, honestly? Because you seem to be completely ignoring facts here.

And condoms aren't always harmful, but they can have side effects, UTI's, vaginal irritation, allergic reactions, etc.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
no the fact is that it isn't effective - cycles change (especially at a younger age) and the amount of data you need to track to even start to get it reliable is overwhelming

not to mention that sperm can live while in you for a while - which is something that many people forget when they track go days and no-go days

it's not a bad method for those who are opposed to using other forms of birth control due to individual beliefs - but it's best used by those who are responsible enough and mature enough to log over a long span of time and are in a committed relationship

i'm also still waiting to hear any reasonable way that condoms are harmful to bodies

It is effective, it just depends on what you DO with the information, there's a different there. It's around 90 percent effect when not used with anything else, and so I think that's huge especially considering the risks of other types of birth control And depending on the woman, it's not overwhelming really.. and while yes, cycles change, if you are truly doing NFP you'll know when your temperature goes up, your cervical mucus changes, etc.. Granted, I wasn't doing a full out NFP like that so sure, there are errors you can make.. But no less than accidently ripping a condom or forgetting to take a pill

As I said, condoms can cause UTI's, vaginal irritation, allergic reactions, etc.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It's around 90 percent effect when not used with anything else,

Oh my goodness. Just stop talking. Not even condoms are that effective.

NFP is listed as having a failure rate of around 25%, which means 75% effective. Condoms come in around 85% - 98% effective.

Also, would you like to discuss the effectiveness of NFP and STD's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching