Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,339,847 times

Advertisements

This makes me sick.

I have a friend who works for a school in Tulsa, OK who is being laid off at the end of the school year. From what I have been told, they are laying off 4 to 6 teachers at every school in the city and hiring 50 new TFA teachers for next school year. Some of the teachers have been teaching for over five years and are losing their jobs to TFA teachers.*

Unbelievable. Well, I guess if you were familiar with the schools in Tulsa, it wouldn't be that unbelievable.

*I received all my info from an employee, but here is a link confirming everything, but not mentioning that the 50 employees will be TFA.
http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=3557
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,233,641 times
What is a TFA teacher? Please explain.

If they aren't certified, then are they not considered to be highly qualified?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM

TFA is "Teach For America." That is a program that lets anyone who has a four-year degree to go to a summer training program and teach for three years to pay off student loans. Tulsa signed a contract with the TFA program last summer and I am guessing that they are obligated to take so many of them every year.

The school district was pretty bad already. I am sure this won't help it any.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,216,338 times
Those Teach for America folks get lauded for what they do. I think they don't deserve the praise. They waltz in, lord their degrees over everyone, get toasted by the local brass, then waltz out with student loans paid.

Do the Tulsa teachers have a recourse?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,378 times
You've already admitted that it's already bad; maybe it's worth a try. It sucks to get laid off, but that's the way it goes; money doesn't grow on trees, and you can't tax the unemployed.

It is likely that the TFA teachers will come from better universities, with better GPAs, and will have a much better understanding of Math(s). After all, the standard certified elementary teacher has taken one Math class; Math For Elementary Teachers. I've met a number of them that major in EED simply because they are Math illiterates. Then there is all this coverage of how terrible US kids are in Maths v. their Asian and European counterparts.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM

It really doesn't matter what university you go to, if you aren't trained to be a teacher, you probably aren't going to be better than the average certified teacher. I wouldn't want a lawyer from Harvard as my doctor, ya know?

The requirement for TFA is to have a bachelor's degree and a 2.5 GPA. I would imagine that 95% of people with a bachelor's degree has a 2.5 GPA.

Also, I don't know of any TFA people working in elementary education. THey may do it, but I am not aware of it. All that I know are in middle level and secondary - and those teachers have a lot of math/science in their degree plans.

Here is a map of the TFA locations. I wonder how the TFA situation in KC is going? Teach For America - Our placement regions

The ultimate issue is this: We have more certified teachers than we do teaching positions. Despite this issue, TFA has doubled the number of their "corps members" in the last five years. It seems like an initiative that is not needed right now.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM

In describing the TFA relationship with Tulsa, TFA says this this:

Quote:
One of the greatest advantages is that Teach For America has active participation in district decisions.
Teach For America - Placement regions - Tulsa - Schools (http://www.teachforamerica.org/corps/placement_regions/tulsa/schools.htm - broken link)

Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Heaven forbid, Bill Gates showing up to teach computer science. After all, he doesn't have an online degree in Education from the University of Phoenix.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
Heaven forbid, Bill Gates showing up to teach computer science. After all, he doesn't have an online degree in Education from the University of Phoenix.
Way to reach out to the extremes of both sides of the spectrum to make a logical point.

I know TFA means well, but I don't like the idea of laying off teachers to hire non-education related graduated.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM

If a Tulsa Public Schools graduate is lucky enough to land a job, do you think their OJT will be by a professional educrat? Highly likely; not. They might as well get used to it, now. And I love the way the NEA go out of their way to make the non traditional teachers look bad.

TFA is probably a form of union busting--same thing happens in the private sector.

Last edited by smokemaster; 04-12-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching