Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

AZ English teachers with heavy accents being reassigned? - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Sounds logical to me. If I can't fluently speak Spanish then I shouldn't be teaching it, right?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM

313 posts, read 344,050 times
These are teachers that were hired to teach something else(either SPanish, ESL, don't remember), and when they're program got cut, they got placed teaching English. Now some are either getting reassigned, and some fired.

By the way, these are legal residents, if not citizens.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM

216 posts, read 668,068 times
Yes, I heard that they were hired specifically because of their bilingual skills.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
I have at least 10 friends that went into liberal studies and some of them are teaching bilingual education. First of all, the student must pass all his or her college courses, do supervised intership, pass state exams, etc. If the teacher was not qualified for the job, he or she would not have passed those exams and someone during his or her supervision would have noticed that something was wrong with the lack of teaching skills. That is is all of a sudden an issue...considering it is AZ, I think it is a case of prejudice. Just my two cents.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
This is NOT an illegal alien issue. Wrong board.

It should be moved to the political forum.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
This is NOT an illegal alien issue. Wrong board.

It should be moved to the political forum.
I completely agree...or Education.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Moved from illegal immigration.
Yac.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
If these teachers meet all of the required qualifications, then there is no reason that they should be reassigned.

There are lots of foreign lang teachers who are fluent but who still have an American accent. Yet, they are able to teach Spanish (and other langs) very effectively. And English lang teachers are no exception.

In fact, a native Spanish speaker who has learned English is much more valuable than a native English speaker as an ELL teacher b/c the non-native speaker understands the issues that are specific to English lang learners who are native Spanish speakers.

Native English speakers are not qualified to teach English simply b/c they are native speakers. And most English majors in the U.S. focus on literature (and how to teach it), which is useless for someone trying to learn English, which is why there are specific programs to train ELL teachers.

Again, qualifications should be the criteria here, not accents, unless (as one person in the article pointed out), an accent severely impedes lang acquisition.

Furthermore, students don't necessarily learn how to pronounce a lang like a native speaker by modeling a teacher. I know many students of Spanish and English who have never been able to master native pronunciation even after studying with a native speaker and immersing themselves in the lang. In fact, that description describes the majority of language students.

However, I do agree with the concerns re: fluency, although I am suspect as to how teachers are judged re: fluency. I know many people who think that pausing to search for a word or not knowing a particular word for something means that someone is not fluent.

I am highly suspect that this has suddenly become an issue just as immigration reform in AZ has begun.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
I think accent is an important part of being able to comprehend what you are taught. I remember having a few teachers (not in other languages, I'm talking science or math) in college that I had no idea what they were saying. Had to learn everything from the book and just sit bored through the class.

I think discrimination issues have just gone too far. Just like being fat should disqualify you from being a cop or a fireman, having a heavy accent should disqualify you from teaching. Not everyone is meant for all fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching