Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,198 times

Advertisements

I selectively save. If I know I am going to use something again, I keep it. If not, I toss it. However, in the last couple years I've been a lot more careful with stuff because I know our budgets will be cut. At the end of the year I used to give leftover art supplies, etc. to the kids, but not this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM

262 posts, read 650,255 times
I agree, I'm not a pack rat, I would just like to think that I am good at retaining resources )

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Pack Rat? do I resemmble that remark?

Border line collector or as my wife refers to my 1200 sq ft compilation--YARD SALE MATERIAL..

To be honest it has been reduced. At one time it occupied nearly 2000 sq ft and included overheads, several steel cabinets, textbooks from K-12 and nearly every kind of workbook imaginable.

Since we left the north country, I must admit it is nice to have reduced the load.

Cannot believe I am going to do yet another reduction--of my own freewill....

Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
I've only been teaching 5 years but my "collection" is huge. As a 3rd grade Special Ed teacher I needed things for all different levels-books, workbooks, manipulatives, craft projects. I just started teaching reg. ed. 5th grade and I don't want to give up my other stuff in case I go back to a lower grade. I invested a lot of time and money into my "collection." So as others mentioned, I recommend keeping a well organized file of originals and then keep whatever has real value. I have packed, moved, and unpacked every year. This year I will need to find a more permanent space in my garage for all the 3rd grade stuff I wont need next year...but may come in handy at some other time.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
About some things, yes. Other things, no. And probably the opposite of what would actually be helpful. I tend to throw out paper masters because I figure it'll be easier and quicker to just make a new one next year than to locate the old one, and I don't file very well - either in a filing cabinet or on my computer.

But I tend to hoard books, manipulatives, boxed activities and things like that because I'm always sure I'll think about it someday and say "I wish I still had my...". Which is the bulkier stuff. But man, I wish I had my blown emu egg back. I left it at another school I worked at instead of keeping it. And that's the kind of thing that makes me reconsider throwing away anything like that!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I must admit I am the proverbial pack rat when it comes to materials I might use at some later time. I used to think "why am I keeping this, I'll just end up throwing it away." Well, let me tell everyone, with the budget cuts and poor economy I have had little if any monies coming in to purchase supplies for my science classes this year and I have used that stuff I thought I should have thrown out.
This year we were allowed only a certain number of copies per month. I copied classroom sets of the needed documents and yes, I have saved them to use again next year. While I do save everything possible on a thumb drive, if I copied it, this year I saved it!
this year I am proud to be a pack rat. My students had hands on materials because of my clutter habit.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 AM

54 posts, read 303,899 times
To a point, yes. I teach pull-out ESL across 9 grade levels. I try to only keep things I think I'll use again, and I'm only keeping it if I can keep in in an organized way. If I cannot find what I have, then there's no point in having that much stuff.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenter10 View Post
With the end of my first year teaching upon me, I find myself unwilling to throw a lot out. I keep thinking, "hmm, I bet I can use this for something..." It's impractical since I have to pack up my entire classroom at the end of each school year and bring it all back the week before school. Does anyone else do this?
I am building a storage shed to store all of my teaching supplies which are now in my garage and house. I am in a cycle of losing units and having to switch schools so I hate to load up my classroom when I may get transferred next year!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
With budgets for materials being cut yearly (this is historic) teachers save things out of necessity. Yes theories change but in many cases information really doesn't. Two plus two is still four (at least in Base 10) and the Titanic always sinks.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM

137 posts, read 248,656 times
I think being a pack rat goes with the territory of teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching