Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM

48 posts, read 196,079 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need some advice--I want to become a math teacher so I was thinking of starting my second bachelors this Fall ( B.S. in Mathematics and Comp Science) then getting a M.Ed. in Mathematics (a licensure program) when I'm finished. Is this a foolish idea, seeing as a lot of schools are laying off teachers? Everyone keeps telling me, "Oh, we'll always need math teachers!" but that sounds like it could be false; kind of like the We-have-a-teaching-shortage myth.

I'm interested in teaching H.S. Trig, Pre-Calc or Calc, but would prefer to teach regular and AP Calc. What are the chances of this happening?

All advice welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by ArtisticAthlete; 05-18-2010 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticAthlete View Post
Hi,

I need some advice--I want to become a math teacher so I was thinking of starting my second bachelors this Fall ( B.S. in Mathematics and Comp Science) then getting a M.Ed. in Mathematics (a licensure program) when I'm finished. Is this a foolish idea, seeing as a lot of schools are laying off teachers? Everyone keeps telling me, "Oh, we'll always need math teachers!" but that sounds like it could be false; kind of like the We-have-a-teaching-shortage myth.

I'm interested in teaching H.S. Trig, Pre-Calc or Calc, but would prefer to teach regular and AP Calc. What are the chances of this happening?

All advice welcome!

Thanks!
Unfortunately, THEY are wrong. I know you already saw my other post.

I'm not sure where you are but here, the only jobs available, to those who find them, are low paying charter school jobs. If you're willing to work for peanuts to teach, you'll likely find work in a charter or private school. If you want to make a decent living teaching, forget it. I don't think that's happening for any time soon.

As to whether or not there will be a need in 5 years, two days ago I would have said yes. I would have said that the economy will be on the mend and the first of the baby boomers retiring and that that would create jobs. Then I got that email telling me I'm one of 165 applicants for a math position. Granted this is a desired district but 165 applicants??? All with math certs!!!! That's a lot of math teachers looking for work.

If you're young enough and willing to work for peanuts for many years to teach, go for it but understand that you will not have the wages that are posted for your state. Reality is, I have zero hope of EVER making what is listed as the pay for a first year math teacher in my state. I'd have to beat out 165 other candidates and I'm going to bet I'm not the best in a lot that size.

If you want to give yourself better odds, be in position to coach a sport. The more you have to offer, the better off you'll be.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,053 times
You need to be aware that different parts of the country you have different opportunities. Pennsylvania, including my district is still hiring. However, everybody we hire is the valedictorian of their college, or has magna or summa *** laude in graduate school. You have to have exceptional qualifications, and you need some way to get into the system. Simply sending a resume will not get you a job; we get literally hundreds of those; recently one of our elementary administrator made a mistake of advertising, and his mail box filled up with 400 resume messages.

You need to make a personal contact or have a personal contact so you can even get an interview. But science: physics and AP calculus are easier to get. Problem is that if you have those skills you can probably get a job in industry. But I can only speak for South central PA.

I would train for industry, but keep teaching credentials. If you were you were a couple of years in industry it would give you a leg up on any other applicant with experience that they DO NOT HAVE.

Z

Last edited by Zarathu; 05-19-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 AM

45,347 posts, read 60,534,984 times
See also my response in Ivory Tickler's thread "Worse than I thought" about her experience in a recent application process.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 AM

48 posts, read 196,079 times
Yes, I will coach a sport--Basketball or Soccer. I'm assuming you just put that in your cover letter?

I know I'd make more money in an industry job but I'm not sure what type of industry jobs I can get with a B.S. in Math? I'm definitely going to get a B.S. in Math, I was just wondering if I should get a M.S. in math or a M.Ed. in Math. By the false we-need-math-teachers line, I guess I should go for the M.S.

Does anyone know anything about teaching at the junior college level??? That was my first goal but people are trying to sway me into teaching a high-level, H.S. math class...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times
A friend of mine was a math teacher. She gave up looking for work.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,223 times
Quote:
Yes, I will coach a sport--Basketball or Soccer. I'm assuming you just put that in your cover letter?

I know I'd make more money in an industry job but I'm not sure what type of industry jobs I can get with a B.S. in Math? I'm definitely going to get a B.S. in Math, I was just wondering if I should get a M.S. in math or a M.Ed. in Math. By the false we-need-math-teachers line, I guess I should go for the M.S.

Does anyone know anything about teaching at the junior college level??? That was my first goal but people are trying to sway me into teaching a high-level, H.S. math class...
Get a different degree. I have a B.S. in math and it is totally useless. I could have gotten an easy-breezy-business degree from an el cheapo school and done just as "well". Engineering would be a much better choice, as is anything but teaching as others have said.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Hi,

All advice welcome!

Thanks!
Despite the teaching issues here in NJ their is one open position in my school. Math. In my district the majority of math teachers are within 4-5 years of retirement. I am not sure if this is universal but it was also true at the school I taught at before. Maybe that is where the math need came from.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Unless you've got nepotism working for you, the teaching profession is extremely hard to break into. One would think that in 5 years (at the approx graduating date of the OP) it should open up somewhat since the average age of teachers in some states is now in their 50's. However, state budget cuts I believe will continue to target education first since it's so easy.

Fewer teachers, less discipline, and fewer course offerings seem to be the future as foreseen by state legislators.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,195 times
It really depends where you are. I am fairly confident I will be able to find a job here next year.

I agree with going into industry first. Get your bachelors, get a job, and get your masters through night school or weekend programs. I've worked in IT consulting for a few years now, and have found it to be REALLY helpful with all my classroom time so far. It's given me confidence in public speaking, a strong background in dealing with management/paperwork (administration), and the ability to answer the "why the heck do I have to learn this?" questions. Plus, whenever I talk to administrators or teachers, they seem to like the industry experience. And, should I not be able to find a job next year, I still have a career to fall back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching