Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I find "Those who can't teach, administrate, and send out poorly written communication fraught with typos and misspellings that embarrass the school," to be the case, myself.
Today we were given our district's new strategic plan which includes ensuring that all parking lots in the district have closed-captioned television (CCTV).

I couldn't help myself. I had to point it out. You would think that someone from Central Office would have caught it before it made it to the schools. I did enjoy the mental image of having big screens in the parking lots with subtitles for easy reading. But no, I don't think that's what they meant.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 10-07-2010 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Add comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
Ahh so many reasons. Very good question though..I've been teaching for 12 years and can say at times, I want to quit badly. Kids are disrespectful, parents don't back you, administrators care more about test scores and bells and whistles than actual teaching..

Bottom line, I stay in the profession for a few different reasons:
1- It offers a decent salary and sometimes good insurance benefits, along with sick time and vacation
2-speaking of vacations, yes, I love my summers off. I love spending the time with my kids, being a housewife (without exhaustion) and I love the summer sunshine
3- not bad hours and holiday time off.

The main reason I stay though, is because my kids benefit..for every good moment or good day, there are a hundred worse ones. Bad ones are bad, they drive me to drink and make me scream into a pillow. I teach Special Education, so it's more stressful and canbe very frustrating. But when I have a good day!?? That means kids were smiling, happy well behaved, and they left with knowledge they didn't have before. The light bulb went on, and no one can take that away from them. The bad days can be forgotten, but nothing takes away the Pride and joy of a successful student..

Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I am on my third career.
1) Naval Officer, worked at highest levels of intelligence budgeting, needed a shower every night
2) Fortune 100 executive...dealt with the sleaziest (and the wealthiest) people imaginable
3) Teaching. Impoverished, even with several pensions, but fulfilling on a one to one basis and somewhat atoning for past employment (though I did nothing wrong).

I would NEVER encourage a young person to go into teaching, even with the immense (non-financial) rewards. I can handle it cause I am OLD, don't do about 3/4s of what the "district expects", have other sources of income, and have HIGH Self Esteem issues.

It is very sad and discouraging to a) not be valued b) not be appreciated, and c) at least in NC, to be a pawn in political crap at the state level.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM

137 posts, read 248,666 times
I keep teaching because there is NEVER a dull moment.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I believe teachers who complain about teaching keep teaching because they like the summers off, they are at a point on the pay scale, where they won't make the same salary if they leave, they have poor self esteem, and don't think that they have skills to be competitive in a different type of employment.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:12 PM

137 posts, read 248,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe teachers who complain about teaching keep teaching because they like the summers off, they are at a point on the pay scale, where they won't make the same salary if they leave, they have poor self esteem, and don't think that they have skills to be competitive in a different type of employment.
I think the summers off thing is true, and someday would love to experience that.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof2000 View Post
I think the summers off thing is true, and someday would love to experience that.
I'd like to take the time off in summer (for example this year June 21-Aug.26) and spread it out throughout the year. I don't need it all in one chunk.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually don't know any teachers who actually complain about TEACHING who end up staying in the field. Those who really dislike the teaching end of things (i.e. instruction itself, building and maintaining appropriate rapport with the students, creating, planning, and conducting interesting and engaging lessons, etc) get out really quickly...usually within a year or two, when they realize that they made a horrible mistake thinking they'd like it. Most teachers I know who complain are mostly complaining about the bureaucracy...not actual teaching. They stay in, because they still love the actual teaching more than they hate the bureaucratic BS, the politics, the red tape, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I'd like to take the time off in summer (for example this year June 21-Aug.26) and spread it out throughout the year. I don't need it all in one chunk.
This is essentially what we do at my year-round school. We just spread our breaks in small chunks throughout the year. We have an average of one long weekend a month, and week-long breaks here and there, usually around holidays. We were off all this week, for instance, but won't be again until Labor Day, except for a long weekend in Aug. It's pretty great.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is essentially what we do at my year-round school. We just spread our breaks in small chunks throughout the year. We have an average of one long weekend a month, and week-long breaks here and there, usually around holidays. We were off all this week, for instance, but won't be again until Labor Day, except for a long weekend in Aug. It's pretty great.
IMO, this would make teaching much more sane. I feel like it's all or nothing the way things are. During the school year, I work rediculous hours and chase my tail to the point I'm exhausted by June. Then I crash for about 3 weeks. After that, I'm rarin' to go but with 7 more weeks of summer left, find it hard to motivate myself (I'm a bit ADD and need deadlines to help me focus.). By the end of July I am BORED and thinking, "Why can't I save this time for during the school year when I could use it to catch up and keep my sanity?"

I would love a year round schedule with the time off scattered throughout the year like you describe. I hate this all on/all off arrangement as much now as I did when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching