Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,078 times

Advertisements

It is still fun to debate the issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinteach811 View Post
Don't be so hard on this person! I am in the same boat! In fact, it sounds like we almost have the same story. I graduated with my Elem Ed degree in 2007 and no one would hire me b/c without actual job experience. I finally found a job in 2009 teaching More at Four (pre-k) in a daycare. I actually went back to school for said job and now have an add-on (like a 2nd Bachelor's) in that field. Unfortunately, the daycare closed and now I am working PT at Kmart and drawing unemployment. I have went on so many interviews, only to be passed over my people with less education! Tell me how that is fair! In my area, it is all about WHO you know! My GPA was almost a 4.0, I am very organized and prepared for interviews, and I follow all the advice given to me in workshops. Still, I have no results. My last interview went very well. It was probably the best one I have ever had. When the director called me she said, you are very organized and I loved your lesson plans. You were actually our first choice, but we went with someone else. We wanted someone long term. She thought I would leave the daycare in the lurch if an elementary job opened up. I would have at least finished out the year. Oh well. Then the director said they had a large turnover. If that's true, whey didn't they hire me then? You may say not to have a defeatist attitude, but it's really hard not to when NOTHING is working out in your life.
The story never changes...I don't get hired because I have TOO much experience..my advice is IF and WHEN you get hired KEEP that job--just make sure you apply to positions you really want

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 AM

57 posts, read 86,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There is a glut of primary grades (PK-3) licensed teachers here in Ohio, sometimes with up to 500 candidates interviewing for one position. Part of the problem is that it's too easy to get a license in that area and so many folks (not all, but quite a few) with weaknesses in certain areas, like science and math, find their way into primary education. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but this is one licensure area that is begging for reform...at least in this state. And part of the problem is that these young folks looking to become teachers are a goldmine for schools of education that have no incentive to be honest with them about job prospects. Even if/when the market gets better in a few years, there will still be too many people with licenses in this area.
you don't need college level or even high school level math or science knowledge to teach 1st or 3rd grade. these are the basics. you need classroom management and basic reading writing and arithmetic skills. nothing else matters. your argument is useless about reform.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,707 times
The reason why there are so many PK-3rd grade teachers seeking employment in any state have nothing to do with the requirements. Another poster was right in saying that in terms of education, it only requires basic reading, writing, and math skills. The real reason is the pay infrastructure/schedule of most districts. My mother was a teacher and I am presently working on the credentialing process for my state so throughout my life I have been familiar with district pay scales. Kindergarten-3rd grade was always considered the gravy train positions. You got the same pay as someone teaching the older grades without the hassle of classroom management and the learning standards of older kids. You received the same healthcare and job benefits as someone dealing with older children. You also received the perks commonly associated with dealing with younger kids---abject adoration & depending on the affluence of the parents---some pretty sweet gifts around the holidays. Back when most districts still did morning and afternoon kindergartens, you also received the same pay as other teachers for working only half the classroom time period(that has changed in many districts due to budget constraints). Everyone wanted those jobs. Not surprising and not necessarily indicative of skills reform being needed, more like administrative/pay reform.

Last edited by alrobinson; 03-27-2013 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: forgotten word

Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheroscleroticPlaque View Post
you don't need college level or even high school level math or science knowledge to teach 1st or 3rd grade. these are the basics. you need classroom management and basic reading writing and arithmetic skills. nothing else matters. your argument is useless about reform.
If that's really the case, then I think that it's arguable that you don't even really need a B.A. to teach these grades, either.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrobinson View Post
The reason why there are so many PK-3rd grade teachers seeking employment in any state have nothing to do with the requirements. Another poster was right in saying that in terms of education, it only requires basic reading, writing, and math skills. The real reason is the pay infrastructure/schedule of most districts. My mother was a teacher and I am presently working on the credentialing process for my state so throughout my life I have been familiar with district pay scales. Kindergarten-3rd grade was always considered the gravy train positions. You got the same pay as someone teaching the older grades without the hassle of classroom management and the learning standards of older kids. You received the same healthcare and job benefits as someone dealing with older children. You also received the perks commonly associated with dealing with younger kids---abject adoration & depending on the affluence of the parents---some pretty sweet gifts around the holidays. Back when most districts still did morning and afternoon kindergartens, you also received the same pay as other teachers for working only half the classroom time period(that has changed in many districts due to budget constraints). Everyone wanted those jobs. Not surprising and not necessarily indicative of skills reform being needed, more like administrative/pay reform.
This has always been the stereotype that it is easier to teach younger children. It is really an ignorant attitude. It's not so much the content that is the challenge but being able to present the content in a developmentally appropriate context. The lack of maturity creates other disciplinary problems, including tantrums, crying, insecurity, impulsivity, and a lack of ability to express needs and feelings. It is the early childhood teacher who is usually the first to detect learning disabilities and she is often the messenger who is shot for breaking the news to the parents. You need a lot of patience for early childhood, good physical stamina, and expect to get kicked and slapped and things thrown at you since that's what little ones do when they act out in frustration.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I have a degree in elementary education and I am finding it quite useless in this economy. There are NO JOBS IN THIS FIELD. Then, if you try to apply for work in other fields, you can't because no one will hire you if you don't have experience. You can't even use an elementary education degree in another field. Minimum wage jobs don't even want to hire because they see that degree/teaching experience and think you will leave as soon as something else comes up.

Then, to go back to school and get retrained you have to add to existing student loan debt or withdraw retirement funds. No one wants to help a college graduate get financial aid even if you are stuck on unemployment without new skills.

Bottom line: if you want to be gainfully employed, don't major in elementary education.

FYI: Colleges are selling you a line of BS if they actually tell you there is a teacher shortage.
Same thing happens to engineering.

Colleges are always trying to tell you the degree and education are of great value and there's a shortage for college graduates.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrobinson View Post
I taught third and then fourth grade for years before moving to second. I lasted 2 years before asking to be moved back up. Second grade easily required the most classroom management. Maybe 30 years ago when all students were doing the same thing in school it would have been easier, but managing all of the groups and centers while trying to keep them engaged and on task was not easy.

I don't understand your point about half day kindergarten. If a teacher has morning and afternoon classes, that teacher isn't working half the classroom time period. She still has a full day, just split between two groups. She actually may have more work, planning for two classes and twice the students.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
A full time teacher teaching 2 half day kindergartens has double the amount of work. Its not like you have half the amount of students in each class. Instead, you have twice the amount of clerical work (attendance, report cards, portfolios, assessments, cubby tags, name tags for the job chart, double the amount of cutting out stuff for craft projects, double load of parents. You need a strong back for kindergarten, bending down to make eye contact with the children, tying shoelaces, buttoning coats, putting on mittens and hats for recess and for departure, fussing with snaps, zippers, belts, and hair accessories all day long, especially after each child uses the bathroom.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
This has always been the stereotype that it is easier to teach younger children. It is really an ignorant attitude. It's not so much the content that is the challenge but being able to present the content in a developmentally appropriate context. The lack of maturity creates other disciplinary problems, including tantrums, crying, insecurity, impulsivity, and a lack of ability to express needs and feelings. It is the early childhood teacher who is usually the first to detect learning disabilities and she is often the messenger who is shot for breaking the news to the parents. You need a lot of patience for early childhood, good physical stamina, and expect to get kicked and slapped and things thrown at you since that's what little ones do when they act out in frustration.
Not only all of this, but elementary school teachers have to plan for 5 subjects every day. There is no dean's office in elementary either. Often, when there are severe discipline issues, the administration is completely unsupportive. The most important education a child receives is in elementary school. They are the one's that should be paid the most - I teach secondary, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching