Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Back to the original question, effectively only if you're talking a vo-tech program like welding or culinary arts. And if that vo-tech program requires a state or national license for graduates to get a job in the field, the instructor must have a high level license in the field he's teaching.

Technically we're also allowed to hire bachelors level people to teach remedial classwork in math and English (ie. sub-100 level classes) but policy is not to do that because we don't want to go through all the trouble of hiring someone if they can't teach English 101 or Introduction to College Algebra depending on how enrollment sorts itself out on a semester to semester basis. In real terms, we only hire terminal degreees because we've also got some four year programs already and if we transition to a full fledged baby university down the road, we need everyone to be allowed under the terms of the typical accrediation agreement to teach 300 and 400 level courses on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Do community colleges still hire community college adjuncts, if they only have a Bachelors degree, but have the right balance of work experience?
You need a masters only if you are teaching courses that transfer to 4 year colleges. Trades and specialized skills usually require experience and certification in the field.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Nicet, I get what you're saying...but you have to remember that people who make $30k/year with a college degree are often doing something that they like. Same with the people who go get MBAs. I don't doubt that you can make good money doing the job you're describing, but it doesn't make a difference to me because I don't want to do it.

I am about to get a masters degree in a different career field, and it's going to cut my bachelors level salary in half. (If I had made a career out of my current job, I could have easily made 10x/year what I will make in my soon-to-be-profession). It's what I want to do though, so it's worth it to me.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times
lol my community college professors earn more than professors at UCSD because all the tax money from this rich area funds this school compares to public.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It is a possibility, A school I once taught at has a technology or vocational department and two people who are there now don't have college degrees. none of the classes these guys teach will transfer,. These are two year degrees and are considered terminal.
This is because there are no bachelors degree programs for those particular vocational fields so a combo of work experience and associate degrees may even work for some schools.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Another important factor in considering to teach at the Community College level is the teaching load. A friend of mind who is the Chairman in his department at a University tries to keep his full time teachers teaching no more than three different classes, that's nine hours in the class room per week. Community Colleges will have a full time person doing more than that. In my case I was the only full time staff in the department which gave me all the administrative duties along with student advisement as well as a much larger teaching load.
The only down side to teaching is the financial rewards come only to those who want to move up into administration. Most of the educators I know who 's salary is the $60,000-$80,000 ,have left the class room years ago

Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Another important factor in considering to teach at the Community College level is the teaching load. A friend of mind who is the Chairman in his department at a University tries to keep his full time teachers teaching no more than three different classes, that's nine hours in the class room per week. Community Colleges will have a full time person doing more than that. In my case I was the only full time staff in the department which gave me all the administrative duties along with student advisement as well as a much larger teaching load.
The only down side to teaching is the financial rewards come only to those who want to move up into administration. Most of the educators I know who 's salary is the $60,000-$80,000 ,have left the class room years ago
OP asked about adjunct professorships, which are part-time non-tenure-track jobs. They are essentially contract positions, hired only to teach and usually only one or two classes a semester. Usually people who fill these roles have another source of income, or aren't looking for full-time work.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
OP asked about adjunct professorships, which are part-time non-tenure-track jobs. They are essentially contract positions, hired only to teach and usually only one or two classes a semester. Usually people who fill these roles have another source of income, or aren't looking for full-time work.
another consideration from my experience is adjusting your schedule so you can be available to teach that night class and learn at the last minute the class didn't fill up so there goes $900-1200 of my Christmas money. I was a full time in addition to an adjunct in another department where I was qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching