U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM

233 posts, read 610,673 times

Advertisements

Although our job situation brought us to middle TN, we both love Maryville! We continue to go back for visits and never get tired of the place. It is beautiful and the people are very, very friendly. Foothills Fall Festival is fun and very family oriented. Might be worth checking out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,890,289 times
i just had two close friends who moved from maryville to another state. they liked the area, but they stated that the housing market was terribly inflated, and they needed to move on to be near relocated family. also, maryville and the surrounding counties have unusually high drug problems, particularly w/ meth and crack cocaine. other areas of tn have this problem, also, but it is prevalent in this area and along interstate 40 and on through the interstate system into virginia. just something to keep in mind. tn has a good many drug task force members assigned to this problem. they constantly patrol and work under cover, yet these corridors continue to be big problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,147,259 times
I'm not sure what parts of Maryville your friends moved from but it isn't on I-40 (Blount County doesn't even touch on the interstate) nor does it have anywhere near the "problem" with meth or cocaine that you are making it out to be. Rural areas all over the USA have pockets of meth problems, Blount is no different but it is not a problem. I can't say what is going on in neighboring counties of Monroe, Knox, Loudon and Sevier because, outside of nightly news, I don't know much about them. Real estate tends to get very depressed when drug use is rampant in an area and related crimes are more common. Blount County in general, including Maryville, has not had much of a decline in housing value, in spite of the national economy tanking, because it is still a good place to move to. Maryville may not be the mythical Mayberry but it sure isn't the bad place its being made out to be!

Maryville has parts of the old town (downtown) that are gradually being restored and its downtown is clean. There are some upscale and moderate stores, dining spots and markets, with a farmer's market on weekends. Like many towns it has had new strip malls and Walmart centers spread out on one side or another of the original town that make for a not so pretty look. Once off of the main drags, though, the town quickly goes from suburban to rural in all directions with some very pretty rolling hill/farmland or mountain views depending on the direction you take.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM

please read the post accurately. you attributed some statements in your post to me that i did not make. being sensible about an area is important for those who may know little or nothing of a community. many posts concerning maryville are overly varnished. honest reality checks are useful and fair in all communities.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM

22,514 posts, read 45,618,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i just had two close friends who moved from maryville to another state. they liked the area, but they stated that the housing market was terribly inflated, and they needed to move on to be near relocated family. also, maryville and the surrounding counties have unusually high drug problems, particularly w/ meth and crack cocaine. other areas of tn have this problem, also, but it is prevalent in this area and along interstate 40 and on through the interstate system into virginia. just something to keep in mind. tn has a good many drug task force members assigned to this problem. they constantly patrol and work under cover, yet these corridors continue to be big problems.
Oh, come on now. As opposed to what? Where you live in Jackson where there is violent weather and astronomical crime? I know you love to slam East TN, for whatever reason, but let's take a look at this:

US Crime Rate: 320
Jackson Crime Rate: 675
Maryville Crime Rate: 194

I'm sure Maryville has higher home prices than Jackson. That really wouldn't surprise me. But they are very affordable compared to most of the country.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:15 PM

your over reaction to the post and your lack of objectivity and overstated claims are exactly telling of your poor defense. i have no investment in the review either way, but, perhaps, you do. btw, i bet you can't count on your fingers and toes the number of times i have been to maryville, while i would bet you had no or little contact w/ exploring jackson. the friends who just left maryville believe that the town has become just another over priced, cookie cutter suburb. they have lived the experience, and i accept what they tell me of their experiences.

Last edited by kingchef; 07-02-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,701,642 times
If I had a house for sale in TN, I probably would proclaim it to be the best place to move to, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee