U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwinfla View Post
I am planning on moving from SW Florida to Tennessee within the next year (hopefully sooner!). I have family in Murfreesboro so have thought of going to that area. I can't decide between the Nashville or Knoxville areas and am looking for some advice from those who live there and love the area!

Can you give me some pros and cons of each area? How much does it snow in the Knoxville area? Is one area's job market better than the other?

I am not a "city" person ... I don't like noise/traffic/crowds. Apartment living is NOT an option! I enjoy the peacefulness of country living but don't mind commuting 30-45 minutes to work in the city.

As far as work ... I have a BA degree in Religious Studies w/ a minor in Communication. I have 10 yrs exp. in Human Resources, non-profit/social services and ministry administration. I'm also a writer and would like to get into the Christian publishing field.

My son, daughter-in-law and 2 yr old grandson will be moving with me. Son does golf course maintenance, DIL does office work. I also plan for my parents to move with us eventually and would like a place with an in-law suite so I can take care of them while they still have their own space. (I will rent for 1st year to get to know the area before I buy.)

Any and all advice appreciated!!
Manchester is a great area know many places but here is probably your best place I know of a few Floridians already here my mom included I went down to Largo and got her and brought her here. It is county living yet we still got GREAT schools and it is Coffee Co , research it I did and am glad I came here I am 55 and raising 4 granddaughters here and taking care of my 83 yr old mom and we love it here living is good Murfreesboro is where we shop IF we need BIG name brands but we have Sonic, Home Depot, Super Walmart, Wendys, Captain Ds , Cracker Barrel, Taco Bell, Shoneys, Kentucky Fried, many...just to name a few to be so small, they hold the yearly Bonnaroo here which is the Biggest LOUDEST thing here but brings great revenue all proceeds stay here. (It is like the old Woodstock,but tamer) Lots of cows, Golf Courses. It is 30-45 minutes to Murfreesboro, and about an hour west on I-24 to Nashville if you get good traffic but sooo many here drive it everyday. It is an hour the other way east on I-24 to Chattanooga so I hope this helps in some way, Decherd, and Winchester are neighboring NICE communities, where there is Nissan plants also. Nurseries (trees)are a big profit here also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Just moved back to Florida from Hendersonville. A northern suburb of Nashville. Nashville is in a bowl and this "bowl" effects the air quality. I was sick all the time. My son was sick all the time. There is a very high rate of allergies which turn into all sorts of infections and inflamations. The schools would close due to illness. I never saw anything like it! The people were friendly and great and when it wasn't allergy season it was a wonderful place to be but the air quality in Nashville is pretty bad and they do have air quality alert days. I am glad to be back. I live in Seminole county. I love it here but I would pick Knoxville.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM

851 posts, read 2,060,633 times
IMO you would be better off in Knoxville or close to it. We are in Lake Worth, FL and are moving before Christmas and we can hardly wait. We will be so glad to get out of FL, I won't miss the high property taxes, high homeowners insurance, high car insurance, the people (family not included), just to name a couple. But that's just how we feel. Just make sure you do the research and you will be fine.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM

201 posts, read 522,317 times
Lots of 'flunk outs' moved to E tn from Florida

I live in SW FL as well as in TN...I would choose the Nashville area, but Knoxville has a different flavor and perhaps influences a bit more by cities such as ATL or even Charlotte, but stay away the rural tri-cities area...waay too many rednecks.....right now I'll just take LBK

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

22,518 posts, read 45,633,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post

I live in SW FL as well as in TN...I would choose the Nashville area, but Knoxville has a different flavor and perhaps influences a bit more by cities such as ATL or even Charlotte, but stay away the rural tri-cities area...waay too many rednecks.....right now I'll just take LBK
Oh, come on! Flunk outs!

Speaking of which...I smell a banned member. Gee, you use to write the same tripe on Trip Advisor, for crying out loud. This has been going on for years...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM

200 posts, read 602,147 times
I know this was not on the first question but what would be your opinion of CHATT?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM

22,518 posts, read 45,633,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayMaJay View Post
I know this was not on the first question but what would be your opinion of CHATT?
My original plan was to move to Chatt, back in 2005, but lack of jobs forced us to move to Knoxville.

Chatt is a pretty town with lots of tourist activities, but it does have a different vibe than Knoxville. Knoxville's city has since been revitalized and it seems to be geared towards its citizens as opposed to tourists, and I like that.

Since VW is opening, I would guess that jobs would be less of a consideration, although our unemployment rate is still better in Knoxville.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post

Excuse me!!! And where in FL & TN do you live?? And how long have you live in FL & TN?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 AM

230 posts, read 445,167 times
I know the phenomenon exists and can only guess as to it's reasons. For me it's simple: I've had family in the area for as long as I can remember and spent many many summer and Christmas breaks in the splendor that is TN.

That doesn't, however, preclude me from perhaps some of the same issues that drive other Floridians up that way.

Florida, for me, houses nothing of beauty. The landscape is the same no matter where you are, save a few unique places along the coast line. I could drop a Floridian, into any location and I'd bet they'd be very hard pressed to not only tell me where they are but even which part of the state they're in. I'm telling you, drive from Ocala to Jacksonville and the scenery simply does not change.

TN has a somewhat familiar climate to Floridians but offers a change in the seasons. Something Florida never experiences. TN offers true local, southern hospitality. FL simply does not, as a general rule. It's infinitely cheaper to live in most parts of TN as compared to almost anywhere in FL.

FL weather does have its attractive qualities to some people. Sunshine all day everyday is definitely hard to beat. And for some, the conversation simply ends right there but.... I think there is a time aspect in regards to a Floridians like/dislike/tolerance of all the things listed here. I think when you first move here, it's great. After a while, you realize... it isn't the paradise you thought it was.. At this juncture, if you set your mind to move.. you hate Florida. Which is where I am coincidentally. If you decide to stay, you move back towards liking Florida or at least tolerating it.

The above could all be complete bull ****... let's not rule that out..

I moved here when I was child with my family. I grew up, got married, had kids, and realized that I never actually made the choice to move to Florida that in fact, I simply defaulted there. I went on to attempt to convince myself Florida was my choice and simply couldn't. Other places just offered much more of what I wanted. TN ended up being the best of all things considered in my case.

The only place in the US I haven't been in terms of geography is the pacific north west. I'm a bit anxious about making a big decision such as moving without seeing all my options but, it is what it is. My wife and I are taking a trip out there shortly but I don't think it'll have any bearing this far down the "moving to TN road".

I love California but simply cant live in such a communist state. Love my guns far too much. If it weren't for that, I'd perhaps be over on the Cali forums instead of here.

I feel my soul lift the minute I hit Chattanooga on my drive from central Florida to Cookeville. A funny story. My wife and I have made quite a few trips these last few years and she started taking a few notes that she found funny.

She claims: On average, I drive 90mph or greater until I'm through Atlanta. She then claims I'm a solid 5mph or more, below the speed limit until the return home. She claims the entire way home I drive no more than 70 as if I'm reluctant to leave. She said she started noticing when it took us no more than 8hrs to get there but always 10-12 to get home......

Sorry for the length. Florida fits some people and I don't begrudge or hold their choices in any negative context.. It's simply not for us.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Amen to that.
Where are you from in FL? Are you moving to TN soon or just visiting family? And TN isn't for everyone either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee