U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,473,746 times

Advertisements

TN's governors tend to not be idealogues. Most are moderate (and pragmatic) on the liberal-conservative spectrum. And if this year comes down to Haslam and McWherter, you can rest assured that the moderate trend will continue. (Wamp and the other guy are both idealogues, but if by some miracle one of them won, he'd quickly realize the position requires a thinker, not a partisan robot.)

Being a native West Tennessean and longtime supporter of former Gov McWherter, I'll be voting for the younger McWherter, but I think the state would be just fine in Haslam's hands. Either will do a fine job, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM

1,774 posts, read 5,244,333 times
Appreciate the info/history. No I don't live in a tourist area, I am 3 miles outside Knox county. I really wanted this explained to me cause the going back and forth between Dem/Rep really confused me, esp. with the hateful remarks coming from churches in this area about liberals. I understand the difference now, and it's nice to have a broader view of this state.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

22,478 posts, read 45,271,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Appreciate the info/history. No I don't live in a tourist area, I am 3 miles outside Knox county. I really wanted this explained to me cause the going back and forth between Dem/Rep really confused me, esp. with the hateful remarks coming from churches in this area about liberals. I understand the difference now, and it's nice to have a broader view of this state.
What hateful remarks? What churches? Did you hear these remarks?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Unity Baptist had negative remarks on their sign, I saw other derogatory letters/church news in the Mountain Press, heard about a church who told any Democrats to leave. I'm sorry some people don't believe it, but the hatred is out there. It's a shame these religious leaders can't take the high road, since they affect so many people's views. Someone who buys a license plate frame that says "Democrats Suck" - where does that hatred stem from? Hence my disbelief that TN ever nominated a Dem. I don't mean to start a discussion about it, but I find it very, very sad and shameful and I've never heard or seen remarks like these in other states.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Letters to the editor raging against Democrats are found in every paper across this country. I have no idea what it said on a sign, nor have you said, but hatred will breed hatred so I don't think that church will be particularly successful. I consider that their loss and move on.

There are a lot of Democrats across the state, and like every state in the union, there are more liberals in the cities than there are in the countryside. There are an awful lot of registered Democrats in my small town in Mass., but they overwhelmingly vote Republican in presidential elections and helped elect Scott Brown several months ago.

Once again, all politics are local and people vote for who they know and what they know. Same thing happens in Jersey. Maybe you just started noticing since you moved to Seymour, which, by the way, has an awful lot of transplants in it.

And while we are discussing this, I want to say that I think some of this negativity is brought upon oneself, depending on what and where we are looking. If you call people stupid long enough, they tend to be negative around you.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM

What I noticed in NJ and other states is they don't have one form of Christianity calling another form of Christianity "born of the Devil."

I have no problem with your opinion but know that I observe all things, good and bad, and most of it is not "brought upon" myself by myself. You love everyone here and I'm glad for you. If someone judges me before I've even opened my mouth, then yeah - I have a problem with that.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What I noticed in NJ and other states is they don't have one form of Christianity calling another form of Christianity "born of the Devil."

I have no problem with your opinion but know that I observe all things, good and bad, and most of it is not "brought upon" myself by myself. You love everyone here and I'm glad for you. If someone judges me before I've even opened my mouth, then yeah - I have a problem with that.
Sure they do. Those types of religions are probably in most states. Truly.

And I don't love everyone, although I try.

You can't know people by their posts. Not really. But when someone calls Tennesseans stupid for pronouncing names differently, and chastises their driving, their work habits, even their funeral processions then one gets the feeling that you are negative and the feedback that you get is from that.

And for the life of me I can't understand how a thread about people in a state voting for the best person for the job, no matter what the party, still brings a shot about "northern discrimination."

I've said this before. This state is not for everyone and I honestly mean that. I hated Florida so I left, and the state and me are better because of that.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,633,124 times
Quote:

It isn't just said in Tennessee "born of the devil", it is said in La. and Ms. too. And you don't think in the north any of those born again fundamentalist churches aren't teaching that other churches views are wrong? In upstate NY they do.
I think your limited view of the world is showing and you tend to lump it all on the Tennesseans. I think you are doing a grave disservice to yourself, you are denying embracing and enjoying the culture of where you live by holding on so tight to your misconceptions. Life is a precsious(sp?) thing, stop wasting yours.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
It isn't just said in Tennessee "born of the devil", it is said in La. and Ms. too. And you don't think in the north any of those born again fundamentalist churches aren't teaching that other churches views are wrong? In upstate NY they do.
When I was about 17 I went to a church that said that everyone was going to hell that didn't believe exactly like them. That was in Mass. Lots of fire and brimstone and speaking in tongues in that church.

In fact, my mother lives in Mass and is Lutheran and is convinced that everyone is going to hell, except for the people in her synod, and she probably thinks most of them, too. Heck, really when it comes down to it, I think she thinks everyone is born of the devil and her and Jesus are going to be the only two up there in heaven.

Sorry for the humorous little aside, but I thought I would share that with the rest of the class.

If anything, I've found Tennesseans to be some of the brightest people I have ever met. They are not easily impressed with "things" and "platitudes." They also know when someone doesn't like them or is condescending. They don't have preconceived notions. They prefer to look at the facts and decide for themselves. No preacher, or anyone else, is going to tell them what to do.

They look at a person's actions and decide accordingly. Their voting record backs that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee