U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: cabin, gated community, buy acreage, work in construction , traffic.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 26,532 times
Default TN or NC Looking for Suggestions PLEASE

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Two adults mid 50's, two dogs looking to head to the hills/mountains away from Florida (yes I know along with tons of other FLoridans fleeing)!

We do NOT want to live in a subdivision, looking for cabin type setting with some property yet within driving distance to employment.

We realize NC has state income tax and TN does not, but we are torn between which state to head for the hills.

Can any of you offer your suggestions? Realtor names that might specialize in what we are looking for? Stay away from this area?

We are at the point in our careers that we will just want a job where we show up work and go home, we are not interested in huge salaries at this point in our lives; its all about living life now!

Thanks..........Susan
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,436,479 times
How about a subdivision in East TN with 4 or 5 acres for each lot, farm animals allowed (1 animal per acre) and only restriction is 1500 sq/ft home/cabin and to keep the place looking neat? So far one log cabin is built and 2 regular homes the rest is still open field right now. I know, doesn't sound like a subdivision to me either but that's where i bought. also in FL right now but we bought in TN just in March. We were looking at unrestricted land as well but once we got the restrictions on this place, it was nothing to fuss about.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,824 times
Default Watch out for prices in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogladyrider View Post
Decisions, decisions, decisions! Two adults mid 50's, two dogs looking to head to the hills/mountains away from Florida (yes I know along with tons of other FLoridans fleeing)!

We do NOT want to live in a subdivision, looking for cabin type setting with some property yet within driving distance to employment.

We realize NC has state income tax and TN does not, but we are torn between which state to head for the hills.

Can any of you offer your suggestions? Realtor names that might specialize in what we are looking for? Stay away from this area?

We are at the point in our careers that we will just want a job where we show up work and go home, we are not interested in huge salaries at this point in our lives; its all about living life now!

Thanks..........Susan
Susan,
I am a native of NC and we live just outside Hendersonville in WNC where land and home prices are ridiculous. If you decide to move to NC I would stay away from WNC..it's beautiful here but developers are ruining our mountain land. 1/2 ac is $50,000 and if you have a view it's around 85,000. A 2000 sf home is usually around $252,000. Buncombe County just ruled that there will be NO MORE gated communities. Henderson County residents are trying to halt development until the Land Dev. Code comes into effect in Oct of this year. I would choose a city like Hickory or Statesville. Good luck

Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,467,706 times
I'd agree with the previous poster. We managed to buy some acreage with a nice mountain view near Waynesville (25 miles west of Asheville) before land prices really took off. Trouble is, we aren't ready to move there yet, building costs in the area are going through the roof (no pun intended) and we're wondering if we'll ever be able to afford to build something. Even if you don't factor not having a state income tax into the equation, east Tennessee is a bargain compared with western North Carolina. It's probably a good idea to act quickly, though. The exodus from Florida to east Tennessee is on, and it's probably only a matter of time until land/home prices start to resemble those in western North Carolina. In fact, if you look at land prices in some of the developments advertising aggressively to Floridians, it's happening already.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
How about a subdivision in East TN with 4 or 5 acres for each lot, farm animals allowed (1 animal per acre) and only restriction is 1500 sq/ft home/cabin and to keep the place looking neat? So far one log cabin is built and 2 regular homes the rest is still open field right now. I know, doesn't sound like a subdivision to me either but that's where i bought. also in FL right now but we bought in TN just in March. We were looking at unrestricted land as well but once we got the restrictions on this place, it was nothing to fuss about.
Sounds good to me, can you provide me with some additional information where, like names etc and a web site if available?

We really would prefer TN if possible. I work in construction and I see first hand what has happened in FLorida and I realize the same is happening in NC and TN currently. If the local govts don't sit on the growth it will destroy the area.
Susan

Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM

9,023 posts, read 21,188,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I'd agree with the previous poster. We managed to buy some acreage with a nice mountain view near Waynesville (25 miles west of Asheville) before land prices really took off. Trouble is, we aren't ready to move there yet, building costs in the area are going through the roof (no pun intended) and we're wondering if we'll ever be able to afford to build something. Even if you don't factor not having a state income tax into the equation, east Tennessee is a bargain compared with western North Carolina. It's probably a good idea to act quickly, though. The exodus from Florida to east Tennessee is on, and it's probably only a matter of time until land/home prices start to resemble those in western North Carolina. In fact, if you look at land prices in some of the developments advertising aggressively to Floridians, it's happening already.
My family recently built a cabin near Waynesville NC. We paid $15,000 for a 1/2-acre lot near the Blue Ridge Parkway about 6 years ago. Now they're going for $85,000.

Traffic in the WNC mountains in the summer is ridiculous, and half the cars are from Florida (which I can understand--I'd rather be in the beautiful Smoky Mountains in the summer, too). North Carolina also has higher gas taxes and cigarette taxes than Tennessee. But you can also buy wine in grocery stores in NC (you can't in TN).

One advantage that NC has over TN, to me at least, is the weather. The summer temperatures in the WNC mountains are a good 5-10 degrees cooler than they are in the ETN mountains. Temps at my family's cabin are sometimes 15 degrees cooler than in Knoxville. Of course, that means winters are also colder, and the NC mountains usually get quite a bit more snow than the TN mountains.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM

69 posts, read 8,435 times
We are ex-Floridians for 1 month and a half now...Homestead, FL to be exact. We live in Dandridge, TN. I think this is the prettiest, and most charming old town I had seen when we were house shopping during our Christmas Vacation this past Christmas. Too me I think we are close enough to the city but far enough to enjoy peace and quiet on our almost 10 acres of hillsided horse pastured land. Good Luck on your search. Oh By the way Dandridge was named after Martha Washington Dandridge (George Washingtons wife) and is the second oldest town in Tennessee. Talk about history!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM

2,326 posts, read 5,978,523 times
I grew up in Northeast TN--the Tri-Cities area. Why don't you check out Rogersville, TN? It's located in Hawkins County, and is the second oldest town in the state. It's located about 15-20 miles from Morristown--a larger city of about 20,000 people. Rogersville has about 4,000-5,000 people and has a beautifully quaint and old (historic) downtown. The area has a ton of picturesque, country-like farms, and the mountains around there are beautiful. Cherokee lake is a few miles away. If you are looking for "bigger cities nearby"--Kingsport is about 25-30 miles away and Knoxville (much much bigger) is about an hour southwest. Check it out.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Keep Those Suggestions Coming PLEASE

Thanks to all who have replied. From searching the web before making an actual trip to TN it seems like there are numerous places for sale in a country setting that we would prefer but then the question arises what is the job market like.

We both will want jobs of some kind, to cover the utilities at least, but we also won't want an hour's commute - those days are gone for us.

Then there is the issue if you are in the country side or mountains, is internet available, high speed that is.

We are going to research all the areas that have been suggested to us by you great people......hopefully this will be the last move for us in our time here on earth!

It seems like sometimes the prices are right but how does one know about the reputation of the area - like Newport or Crossville?

I'd prefer to buy land and build a cabin on it, but DH says he no longer has the patience for that; we built the home we live in now and it can be a very stressful ordeal.

Keep throwing out those suggestions, we're loving them all.
Susan

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 PM

69 posts, read 8,435 times
I partially run my Mortgage Co, from home here in Dandridge, and in the rural areas DSL is not available, neither is cable (never liked it anyhow), but DirecTv is available anywhere, so is satellite internet, as with Hughes Net or Wild Blue (we have Wild Blue) the initial fees were alot cheaper. I suggest you spend a couple days, and visit each area. I know first hand being latin and having a very dark skinned latin husband we needed to be in an area that was very diversified and open to newcomers. We saw many beautiful homes but the area killed it, I will not mention the cities. But as we did you will have to go your self and see. Everyone here is going to tellyou how everywhere is beautiful, but remember only you know what you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee