Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,289,843 times

Advertisements

No beer on Sunday is just stupid, even waiting till noon is stupid.

Our state is so backwards in some areas. Wine in the grocery store? Heaven forbid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM

34,819 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Our state is so backwards in some areas. Wine in the grocery store? Heaven forbid.
Alcohol laws are just weird state-by-state.

In TN, high gravity beers, as well as wine and liquor, must be sold in package stores, which can't provide the volume discounts a Wal-Mart or Costco could. On top of high state alcohol taxes, buying at such low volume retailers guarantees high prices.

Here in Indiana, wine and liquor can be sold in grocery stores, so Costco can provide you that volume discount, but you cannot buy any alcohol, except in bars, on Sundays. Beyond stupid as that just encourages people watching football on Sundays to go to the bar and get hammered instead of staying at home.

Most alcohol laws are restrictive and entirely stupid.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,200,440 times
I'm all for allowing wine and liquor in grocery stores, as long as they even the playing field and allow liquor stores to sell non-alcoholic items. Currently you can't even buy a bottle opener, ice, or margarita salt in liquor stores.

That said, I do have some hesitation about taking money away from locally-owned stores and putting it in the pockets of the Walton heirs.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I'm all for allowing wine and liquor in grocery stores, as long as they even the playing field and allow liquor stores to sell non-alcoholic items. Currently you can't even buy a bottle opener, ice, or margarita salt in liquor stores.

That said, I do have some hesitation about taking money away from locally-owned stores and putting it in the pockets of the Walton heirs.
I can buy bottle openers at three liquor stores within driving range of my house. Ice also. Not sure about margarita mix.

Its not about them selling other items, liquor store owners think they'll have to close the doors, even losing just the monopoly on wine, not the liquor, just the wine.

After living in Florida and Michigan, I find it ridiculous you can't buy wine at the grocery store

Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM

35,917 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Would you believe that the last time I was in California I spotted a GALLON of Jack Daniel's Black Label for $30 on the shelf of a grocery store?

Not exactly... "dry" can mean everything from no liquor by the drink, to no possession allowed whatsoever. It's technically illegal to drive through Choctaw County, Mississippi, with beer locked in your trunk. If you get pulled over for another reason and get searched you will likely lose it.
- Other definitions for "dry" include warm alcohol is ok to purchase but you can't buy cold beer (Starkville, MS). College students at nearby MSU have come up with very creative ways to drop the temperature of warm beer remarkably fast.
- Or liquor is ok but beer isn't.
- Or beer is ok but liquor isn't.
- The only rule is there are no rules.
Never heard of the no possession or temperature based laws, must be a MS thing.

Quote:

You have to wait until church lets out so you don't get too much of a head start on the Baptists.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

You have to wait until church lets out so you don't get too much of a head start on the Baptists.
Hell, I grew up Baptist, who said we weren't drinking before noon? I specifically remember my grandfather and other deacons passing around a flask at 10am in the smoking section

Old 09-09-2014, 11:03 AM

35,917 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
Hell, I grew up Baptist, who said we weren't drinking before noon? I specifically remember my grandfather and other deacons passing around a flask at 10am in the smoking section

I must have grown up in the secret drinking and never before noon Baptist clan.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,200,440 times
Quote:
I can buy bottle openers at three liquor stores within driving range of my house. Ice also. Not sure about margarita mix.

Its not about them selling other items, liquor store owners think they'll have to close the doors, even losing just the monopoly on wine, not the liquor, just the wine.

After living in Florida and Michigan, I find it ridiculous you can't buy wine at the grocery store
Looks like I haven't been paying attention... the law changed July 1 of this year allowing liquor stores to sell non-liquor items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Possession: I'm not aware of any location other then Choctaw County, MS, where possession is illegal.
Temperature: The argument used by the city council was that if you couldn't buy "ready to drink cold beer" it would cut down on drinking while driving. This is the only location I've ever heard of that had this law.

I was simply using these as examples of how varied and weird "dry county" laws could be. After doing a little more digging, it appears as if earlier posters are correct. TN only limits what may be sold, with different rules regarding beer, wine, and liquor; plus differentiating between by-the-drink on premises sales and sales for the purpose of drinking off premises.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM

18,927 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:

I remember one time when I went into Kroger in Sevierville to buy a bottle of wine. I looked for 20 minutes and couldn't find any, finally I asked the girl working there where the wine section was and she looked at me like I was crazy. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee