Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post

I know a farmer that was once cussed out by a new transplant early one morning because she got behind his tractor carrying a roll of hay on a narrow road where she couldn't pass. He'd have gladly found a spot to pull over and let her pass if she had not been acting a fool behind him.
I get stuck behind them all the time, but most of them are nice enough to pull over so you can pass, if you're not being an idiot. A few areas here don't have a shoulder of the road, so they can't pull over, but being an idiot about it isn't going to do any good. It's not like the farmer can do anything about it if there's no room to pull over. I'm amazed at the number of people who move to a farming community and then ***** about being stuck behind a tractor.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I get stuck behind them all the time, but most of them are nice enough to pull over so you can pass, if you're not being an idiot. A few areas here don't have a shoulder of the road, so they can't pull over, but being an idiot about it isn't going to do any good. It's not like the farmer can do anything about it if there's no room to pull over. I'm amazed at the number of people who move to a farming community and then ***** about being stuck behind a tractor.
Im not. Same as the ones that move to rural farming community and complain about the animal smell, unpaved roads, lack of streat lights, hunting, etc. etc. etc.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
lol, i kinda like it when i get stuck behind slow moving vehicles (unless on on the highway) gives me a reason to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

i love a slower pace but will admit i would get a little annoyed if i had an urgent issue (ie roof issues or a water pipe explode ect...) and had to wait 2 months to get it fixed...

Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lol, i kinda like it when i get stuck behind slow moving vehicles (unless on on the highway) gives me a reason to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

i love a slower pace but will admit i would get a little annoyed if i had an urgent issue (ie roof issues or a water pipe explode ect...) and had to wait 2 months to get it fixed...

Roof leaks, or busted pipes? No problem, just look to a neighbor ( not the phone book ), quite a few country folks can fix anything themselves.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Roof leaks, or busted pipes? No problem, just look to a neighbor ( not the phone book ), quite a few country folks can fix anything themselves.
Not around here they don't. Most of us have to call the pros. And when the pros don't show up and you've lost a day's wages (or more) waiting on them, and waiting weeks or months causes you to have even more damage and more expenses, that gets old real fast. Like I said, I can deal with "slow pace" if they'll at least call and let me know they can't do the job or that it'll be a few weeks instead of the 2 days they said. I can't deal with total inconsideration of other people's time. If you don't want to do the job, tell me. Don't tell me you'll be here and then I never hear from you again. Country or not, "slow pace" or not, there's no excuse for that kind of rudeness. Even out here in the boonies, there's such a thing as a phone to let someone know you're not coming. They just think their time is oh so much more important than the person who hired them, that they can't take 2 minutes out of their day to call and say they're not coming, so that you can get on with the rest of your day, week, month whatever.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
See that's why I'm so upset about this. The problem I've been trying to get fixed for months keeps getting worse and worse and will do a whole lot of damage if it doesn't get fixed soon. We're talking paying hundreds now or thousands down the road.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
See that's why I'm so upset about this. The problem I've been trying to get fixed for months keeps getting worse and worse and will do a whole lot of damage if it doesn't get fixed soon. We're talking paying hundreds now or thousands down the road.

Well if I was your neighbor, I'd gladly lend a hand. My wife sometimes reminds me thats one reason we call our farm the poor farm, I've lended a hand to to many. I was firmly raised to help a neighbor. Must be differences in location.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well if I was your neighbor, I'd gladly lend a hand. My wife sometimes reminds me thats one reason we call our farm the poor farm, I've lended a hand to to many. I was firmly raised to help a neighbor. Must be differences in location.

Awww, that's sweet, RS. I was raised the same way. There's a neighborhood not too far from here where people are like that. They know how to do home repairs and they help each other out all the time. Where I live, most people have to hire someone. A lot of people here are in the same boat as me, not being able to get contractors to show up.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Same where I am. Or if you dont have a neighbor to help you learn to do a lot of things yourself.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Same where I am. Or if you dont have a neighbor to help you learn to do a lot of things yourself.
I do a lot of home repairs myself too. But being disabled now, I'm no longer able to climb roofs and crawl under houses like I used to, so there are things I have no option but to get someone else to do. The thing I need done now takes special equipment that only mobile home set-up people have, so there's no doing that job myself, even if I were able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee