Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 PM

665 posts, read 1,920,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For all I know I may move some day and find that Tennessee was the ideal climate for me after all, but that's hard to imagine. When it's 75 out I'm already uncomfortable. When it's 25 I'm perfectly fine. Up until recently I commuted to work and everywhere else by bicycle, plus I have worked in un-airconditioned warehouses for the last six years. I can handle cold faaaar more easily than heat. On a bicycle I found that I would be sweating if it was over 55 degrees, yet I was perfectly comfortable riding when it was 3 degrees with a windchill well under 0. That being said, there's no way I would move to, say, Billings Montana. There's still a limit to how cold I prefer! But there's no way on earth I'd intentionally move to Houston or Fort Myers (although lately they haven't been much warmer than us ) Where I would be most likely to move to would probably be Oregon or Washington. Every day when it's 90+ here I check other cities around the country to see where I might like to live. This June it was actually pretty rare for me to find a place that was very much hotter than here. Oh sure, Death Valley would be hotter, but the heat index there would usually be less or only slightly more than ours. And fairly often in winter I'd check the weather conditions of several cities in New England, and usually they wouldn't be much colder than here. And when they were it would be a temperature that isn't that bad to me (like low 20s, occasionally high teens). I guess I'll have to see for myself, but I'm absolutely in misery here for 6-7 months out of the year, and there must be some place I'd like better.

Sometimes I think people are just indoctrinated to assume all northerners are rude, because I have very rarely seen anything but friendly people from the north in my life. Maybe they're just trying to be as friendly as possible because they're living here and think they need to be nice to fit in? I'm not sure. All I know is when I meet someone who is especially friendly and polite, they're very rarely southern.
I have to say the NJ shows on tv now don't help our image! Jersey shore is stupid and NOT the way it really is , Now Jersey house wives is a differnt story , that IS the way it is.Jerseylicious have no clue never watched it . I WOULD liketo know what is the fasination all the suuden with the state? I am not sure about being friendly just to fit in, I am friendly just naturally , no matter where I am...

Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 PM

665 posts, read 1,920,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am originally from NY and I love living in TN. I admit when I first came here I went through some culture shock, lol. I did not want TN to change...I wanted me to change and fit in. I still tend to do things in hyper mode. The friends I have made here have taught me to slow down, well at least a little, lol, and enjoy. We can all learn so many things from one another if we keep an open mind. I think if an outsider moves here or anywhere different from where they are from it is very important for the outsider to keep an open mind.

I love living in a small town where everyone knows me and stops to chat

Some people move here thinking they can change TN people...well why would you want to move to a place that you can't accept for the way it is? I have no desire to change anything here.

phyll and mrs1885- I love the cow stories. I also know the great feeling when you can finally get close enough to touch a cow, lol, and yeah their tongues are a little strange
I agree Lisa I had to learn to slow down too and sometimes still do also! I had to adjust peolpe just do things not on speed and worry.It took me a bit to adjust that peolpe here talk to you whether they know you or not, at first it scared me, I wasn't use to that, now I love it!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,058,028 times
Quote:
But there's no way on earth I'd intentionally move to Houston or Fort Myers (although lately they haven't been much warmer than us )

And fairly often in winter I'd check the weather conditions of several cities in New England, and usually they wouldn't be much colder than here.
It's the dewpoint, when it comes down to southwest Florida. The temp and humidity can be exactly the same, but the dewpoint is the killer. Trust me, you'd feel the difference. The heat doesn't really bother me and I feel the difference so it would really, really affact you.

In fact, right now at 1:30 in the morning in Fort Myers there is a heat index of 89 degrees. That's 1:30 in the morning.

Often, New England cities will be colder than here. That's the reason that the snow on the ground stays there for months, but our little dustings last a couple of hours to a couple of days.

And the biggest difference - besides all that snow - is that there are tiny little breaks in the winter where it gets downright balmy in TN. That rarely, rarely happens in New England, and if it does it is a major, major event. Oh, and the length of the winter up there does most people in. It seems that the winter will never end.

And there rarely is much of a spring. It often seems like it goes from cold to really hot. But hey, if you enjoy the cold then it would be a very nice possibility for you. New England is very, very pretty.

Honestly, the cold doesn't bother me much, either. After living in these places I've found that weather is the least of my worries. It sure is nice to live here and have such beautiful weather, though.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,286,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I agree Lisa I had to learn to slow down too and sometimes still do also! I had to adjust peolpe just do things not on speed and worry.It took me a bit to adjust that peolpe here talk to you whether they know you or not, at first it scared me, I wasn't use to that, now I love it!
Me too. I love going places and "catching" up with people I run in to

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,677,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's the dewpoint, when it comes down to southwest Florida. The temp and humidity can be exactly the same, but the dewpoint is the killer. Trust me, you'd feel the difference. The heat doesn't really bother me and I feel the difference so it would really, really affact you.

In fact, right now at 1:30 in the morning in Fort Myers there is a heat index of 89 degrees. That's 1:30 in the morning.

Often, New England cities will be colder than here. That's the reason that the snow on the ground stays there for months, but our little dustings last a couple of hours to a couple of days.

And the biggest difference - besides all that snow - is that there are tiny little breaks in the winter where it gets downright balmy in TN. That rarely, rarely happens in New England, and if it does it is a major, major event. Oh, and the length of the winter up there does most people in. It seems that the winter will never end.

And there rarely is much of a spring. It often seems like it goes from cold to really hot. But hey, if you enjoy the cold then it would be a very nice possibility for you. New England is very, very pretty.

Honestly, the cold doesn't bother me much, either. After living in these places I've found that weather is the least of my worries. It sure is nice to live here and have such beautiful weather, though.
I'll take your word on Florida because I've never lived there and what you say follows what others say. I've been to Orlando once in late September, and it was in the high 80s to low 90s just like here. I hated the place regardless of weather and have no intentions of returning.

I've never been farther Northeast than New York City, but I have no doubt it would be a much "colder cold" than here. My brother had a layover in Philadelphia back in February, and he said that, even though the temperature wasn't any lower than it often reaches here, it just felt colder for some reason. Funny you should mention the occasional balmy winter days we get here in winter. I actually hate those days! When you mention how it feels that winter will never end, that's how I feel about summer! But I'm not sure I'd enjoy having snow and slush everywhere for most of the winter, either. That's why I've been leaning toward the Pacific Northwest. People complain about the cloudiness and drizzle in that part of the country, but that's my favorite kind of weather. To me, a perfect weather day is 45-60, dark and cloudy, and misty and drizzly with maybe a couple of light showers throughout the day. I think my dislike of sunshine stems from having very sensitive eyes and the fact that I associate bright sunny days with heat and discomfort. I don't even like sunshine in the winter. But I'll just have to visit these places before I could ever know which would be best for me.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,360,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwinfla View Post
Those reasons are exactly WHY I WANT to move to Tennessee! I am originally from S. Georgia but have been in SW Florida for most of my life - I hate the way of life here in FL!! I can't wait to relocate to Tennessee and I promise to not change a thing. I want to live in a country (redneck), Christian, conservative place!!
I hear ya! I was born on Marco and moved to Naples as an adult. When the 80s rolled around and Marco was 'discovered' it went to hell fast. Then the housing went nutso about 10 years ago. Homes that were on the market forever for $100k were selling for over $300k in bidding wars! I sold my house too early when hubby and I got married so I lost on several hundred thousand there and wound up with rent that went from $600 a month to $1695 in 2 years. Between the rude people, elitist attitudes and horrendous weather I was done! I couldn't get out of the God forsaken state fast enough!! Paradise my !! When you escape, you give me a call!

Quote:
And I've lived here all my life and those are some of the reasons I want to leave. But I've said it before: By far the biggest reason I want to leave is the miserable summer weather. I can easily put up with all the rest, and have no desire to try to change any of it. What I hate the most about living here is the one thing no one can change!
Oh, go visit Florida. The first year we were here we'd go places and the locals would greet us with 'hot enough for ya'? LOL. We thought 'hot? Really? This is heaven! You can still breath outdoors'. I guess we're adapting now because the last couple summers have been hot to me, but nothing at all compared to SW FL. If you want to visit anytime other than the 3 nice days a year there, make sure you stop on the surface of the sun to adapt to the change in weather first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. You too. I thought that was only Phyll! Whats with all the bovinephobia.
Ok - two funny cow stories. First one, I was raised on an island. We never saw a live cow. I'd always assumed they were like a big dog size. Clueless. Until driving in the woods in the middle of the night. Headlights shine on eyes waaaaaay high - a freaking massive cow! Just being in the woods where it's pitch black and stumbling upon a cow that must have gotten loose from it's pen just staring at us freaked me out.

I tried so hard to talk my hubby into putting it in the back of the truck and putting it in my parent's fenced back yard on the island just to see my mothers reaction the next morning!!

Then when I was in my early 20s, went to KY with ex hubby to see his family. They had thousands of acres of farmland that the entire family lived on. As they got married they'd just build their home someplace on the land. Was pretty neat.

Hubby's cousin asked if I wanted to see the cow. She walked me through the yard, grabbed a huge bucket and had me collect apples that had fallen off the tree. Then we went in the barn and I fed a couple of the apples to the cow.

Then she asks if I want to go see the cows. Ummmmmmmmmm what's this then? Oh she says - that's just the baby. That huge thing is a baby? I'd just assumed all those years that the massive cow in the woods was a freak of nature.

She assured me it would be ok, opened the back barn door and we walked in the pasture. She whistles and all the sudden a trillion massive freaking cows on steroids come charging us. I got scared, threw the bucket in the air and ran for my life. His entire family was doubled over laughing. I just knew those things were gonna trample me! Apparently when they saw the bucket they knew it was apple time and that's what they were after. But after that I was deathly afraid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Tennesseans have it good. It's not too hot and it is not too cold. Live in south Florida and New England for several years and you will know what I mean. I was just telling my mother - who still lives in Mass - that the other day. I have never heard such complaining about the weather!
I totally agree!!! Until you've spent a lovely week in SW FL in July or August, you can't complain about the heat and humidity here. Humans just weren't meant to live in that place in the summer!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,677,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Oh, go visit Florida. The first year we were here we'd go places and the locals would greet us with 'hot enough for ya'? LOL. We thought 'hot? Really? This is heaven! You can still breath outdoors'. I guess we're adapting now because the last couple summers have been hot to me, but nothing at all compared to SW FL. If you want to visit anytime other than the 3 nice days a year there, make sure you stop on the surface of the sun to adapt to the change in weather first.
If Florida is as bad as people say, I literally couldn't survive there. I often struggle to breath outside here in the summer, but never in winter. My brother has very severe asthma and he may have to move for the sake of his health. Currently I've had a severe headache for about a week, I guess due to the heat/humidity. My brother usually has a headache for the entire summer. We've lived here all our lives but we've never been able to adapt. If anything it's getting worse for us. It's almost like we should have been born in a much colder place, and somehow wound up here instead somehow.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

35,939 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Quote:
Ok - two funny cow stories. First one, I was raised on an island. We never saw a live cow. I'd always assumed they were like a big dog size. Clueless. Until driving in the woods in the middle of the night. Headlights shine on eyes waaaaaay high - a freaking massive cow! Just being in the woods where it's pitch black and stumbling upon a cow that must have gotten loose from it's pen just staring at us freaked me out.
One of these days Im going to stop (hopefully when I see the owner out there) and get a good pick of this beautiful huge, did I say huge, long horn bull that I see on Brotherton mt. road. One day my son was driving thru there and all the longhorns were loose and in the road. He was scared their horns were going to scratch his truck!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 AM

35,939 posts, read 30,488,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I think that is one of the biggest adjustments I see people going thru when they move here. It takes awhile to adjust to that slow pace people think they want. It can often take a few weeks or longer for the plumber, cable guy, bulldozer, etc. to actually come out or even call back. You have to accept that getting in the hay or putting your cows back up is more important than getting to that service call. Its a fact of life that if you are in a hurry you will get behind a tractor or hay truck or some old big ear fart or blue hair lady Sunday driving. Just take a deep breath and repeat serenity now, serenity now. Everything closes early and opens late on sunday if at all.

Just about all locals will wave at you when they pass you while driving. People will stope in the middle of the road to chat and perfect strangers will talk to you for no reason and sometimes tell you more than you want to know. My northern relatives still have a had time with that. They always ask me who was that and I say I dont know!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM

634 posts, read 1,415,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think that is one of the biggest adjustments I see people going thru when they move here. It takes awhile to adjust to that slow pace people think they want. It can often take a few weeks or longer for the plumber, cable guy, bulldozer, etc. to actually come out or even call back. You have to accept that getting in the hay or putting your cows back up is more important than getting to that service call. Its a fact of life that if you are in a hurry you will get behind a tractor or hay truck or some old big ear fart or blue hair lady Sunday driving. Just take a deep breath and repeat serenity now, serenity now. Everything closes early and opens late on sunday if at all.

Just about all locals will wave at you when they pass you while driving. People will stope in the middle of the road to chat and perfect strangers will talk to you for no reason and sometimes tell you more than you want to know. My northern relatives still have a had time with that. They always ask me who was that and I say I dont know!

I love it!! Thats what makes TN home for ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee