U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
No Bob, I don't live in a mobile home. And not all mobile homes are trashy, nor are the areas that have them. They are, however, pretty much all over TN, particularly in many areas with acreage. Unless you are spending several thousand more per acre, that is.

Here in my area, property is an average of ten grand an acre, depending on how it lays and if the amount treed.

I live in a 108 year old farmhouse, flanked by new, larger brick homes- across the street are mobile homes, both single and double, new and old. My former house sat kitty corner from a singlewide. I paid almost three hundred thousand for the place in 2007, and that was with only seven acres.

They're everywhere. It doesn't necessarily mean that an area is trashy, but you are going to find less expensive homes (i.e. mobile homes) in areas where property is the cheapest.

realtor.com is a good resource for comps, as well as googling real estate in the areas you're interested in.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, but it seems that Tennessee has more than it's fair share of people who expect low crime, low taxes, cheap property (usually on the water, no less), low cost of living, great shopping/eating, great schools, neighborhoods full of other people just like them who live exactly like they did back wherever the poster came from- oh and they want it for pennies on the dollar.

This is not Mayberry. Nor is it Utopia. What it is, is a place where as long as you don't try to change the area to fit and you don't expect the moon, you can expect to be happy. Unrealistic expectations are the downfall of almost every disappointed post on the TN forums. Research, research, research is the potential TN residents best friend.
OH! Hell yea! I like your style girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way. I'll take my mobile home, 3 acre yard,18 acres of trees and my lake full of fish over a McMansion anyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,597,409 times
Thanks, Dan. :0) My son says he wishes he had your lake of fish, lol. He's almost twelve and suddenly obsessed it seems.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
The price of land depends on a lot of things, of course. It is nice if it is buildable and the more you buy the cheaper it gets. But generally, no, you are not going to find land for that price in Seymour or anywhere in East Tennessee.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM

763 posts, read 2,209,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
No Bob, I don't live in a mobile home. And not all mobile homes are trashy, nor are the areas that have them. They are, however, pretty much all over TN, particularly in many areas with acreage. Unless you are spending several thousand more per acre, that is.

Here in my area, property is an average of ten grand an acre, depending on how it lays and if the amount treed.

I live in a 108 year old farmhouse, flanked by new, larger brick homes- across the street are mobile homes, both single and double, new and old. My former house sat kitty corner from a singlewide. I paid almost three hundred thousand for the place in 2007, and that was with only seven acres.

They're everywhere. It doesn't necessarily mean that an area is trashy, but you are going to find less expensive homes (i.e. mobile homes) in areas where property is the cheapest.

realtor.com is a good resource for comps, as well as googling real estate in the areas you're interested in.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, but it seems that Tennessee has more than it's fair share of people who expect low crime, low taxes, cheap property (usually on the water, no less), low cost of living, great shopping/eating, great schools, neighborhoods full of other people just like them who live exactly like they did back wherever the poster came from- oh and they want it for pennies on the dollar.

This is not Mayberry. Nor is it Utopia. What it is, is a place where as long as you don't try to change the area to fit and you don't expect the moon, you can expect to be happy. Unrealistic expectations are the downfall of almost every disappointed post on the TN forums. Research, research, research is the potential TN residents best friend.
Well said! I live just outside Murfreesboro and have the same scene here - there are half a million dollar homes across the street from *gasp* trailer dwellers. The guy next door to me has a gorgeous parcel of acreage but several people living in the new, upscale developments across the street and bordering his land talk down about him simply because he lives in a trailer. Never mind that his trailer looks more like a house than some stick-built homes I've seen. Forget that he also owns his land free and clear. Oh, and land in Kansas and he just bought a retirement home on acreage in Texas paying cash. Oh yeah, he's not even 60 yet. Bet 99.9% of the people living in the upscale development looking down their nose at him can't say they're debt free.

Never judge a book by its cover or a person by the type of home they live in.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM

22 posts, read 46,943 times
@hiknapster
Thanks for your input. I did find 10 acres around Seymour for $30k, but most was a lot more expensive. Seymour looks like a progressive community and looks as though it is growing. That is what we are looking for so I think we will try to vacation down there in the future.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM

22 posts, read 46,943 times
Ladies, I never said I look down @ people who live in mobily homes, just that "that is not my scene". We have mobily homes here in the town where I live, but again, this is Kansas and not Tennessee. I applaude those who are debt free, that is the quickest way to build wealth. I'm looking forward to getting to Tennessee to enjoy that great southern hospitality that everyone talks about.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwood_bob View Post
@hiknapster
Thanks for your input. I did find 10 acres around Seymour for $30k, but most was a lot more expensive. Seymour looks like a progressive community and looks as though it is growing. That is what we are looking for so I think we will try to vacation down there in the future.
Probably Porterfield Gap Road. Looks like it is straight up from the road, but at least it is not landlocked! It's being advertised as recreational property. Like I said, at that price it is going to have some challenges.

Seymour is a nice area, though. In between Knoxville and the Great Smoky National Park.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,392,016 times
Quote:
We are wanting to relocate to Tennessee and need help finding good area. About us: Middle aged white, conservative, christian, no children left at home. Wanting mountainous region in a town of 5-10k. We like a contemporary christian chruch to attend, good resturants, sporting activities such as college or AAA level, or minor league teams that would be in a neighboring city within 1-2 hours, shopping area(not saks or 5th ave!). We would aslo be interested in land purchase to build on later. We want to vacation in the region for several years to be sure it is for us. We don't mind snow, rain, or sunshine. We want a place where crime is low, neighbors are friendly, nothing like in the city. Please help us find our new home!
Jobs needed or retired when you get here?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
Default Coming to Tellico Plains

Quote:
We are wanting to relocate to Tennessee and need help finding good area. About us: Middle aged white, conservative, christian, no children left at home. Wanting mountainous region in a town of 5-10k. We like a contemporary christian chruch to attend, good resturants, sporting activities such as college or AAA level, or minor league teams that would be in a neighboring city within 1-2 hours, shopping area(not saks or 5th ave!). We would aslo be interested in land purchase to build on later. We want to vacation in the region for several years to be sure it is for us. We don't mind snow, rain, or sunshine. We want a place where crime is low, neighbors are friendly, nothing like in the city. Please help us find our new home!
Look at [url=http://www.tellico-plains.com]Guide to Tellico Plains TN - Visitor information for Tellico Plains Tennessee, the Gateway to East Tennessee Cherohala Skyway, Bald River Falls, Tellico River, and the Cherokee National Forest.[/url] as that will give you over 100 pages about the Tellico Plains area.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM

157 posts, read 355,125 times
I agree with RamblingRoseRanch. www.realtor.com will help you get some ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or