Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

While you are looking, you will do well to consider where the land is in relation to rivers, drainage ditches. I am telling you this because you are from Kansas. Land can look fine one day and be under water the next if you get 5 inches of rain. That is unusual, but it happens sometimes. Two inches would be more normal, but be sure to put your house on high ground. Another thing to consider is how much snow, sun, etc. the area gets. Tennessee is a long state with many different areas, so check out the city-data information. I am forever seeing people who don't know better moving to the South and wanting a house by the lake. Cabin by the lake is fine, but I personally would not built a house by the lake. I would build a house on top of the hill by the lake.

I know another person who lives in Sevierville, Tennessee. It is near the Smoky Mountains, but because it is a tourist area, has lots of activities and shopping in the area. An acreage right outside town would be the best choice in this situation.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sevier...Tennessee.html
Not all TN land near water will flood. Over in East TN we have a series of TVA dams. There are homes by water that has never had an issue.

Also, Seymour is in Sevier County. That's the town that he inquired about. Nothing fit his critera, regarding price, except one lot that may not be buildable.

In any event, five years is a ways away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Regarding mobile homes and their upkeep, I noticed that some people spend a lot of time pointing things out, literally and virtually. There are others ways to feel better about oneself, and not at the expense of others.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM

157 posts, read 440,433 times
Got that right hinapster.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM

160 posts, read 355,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwood_bob View Post
Ladies, I never said I look down @ people who live in mobily homes, just that "that is not my scene". We have mobily homes here in the town where I live, but again, this is Kansas and not Tennessee. I applaude those who are debt free, that is the quickest way to build wealth. I'm looking forward to getting to Tennessee to enjoy that great southern hospitality that everyone talks about.

sir, if you planted trees all around your property, that would take care of alot of the problem right there. Some trees grow pretty fast. Or put in a fence.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Nothing wrong with mobile homes.

The problem is the people they attrasct .

Traveled a lot in the south ( Ky, TN, AL, AND AR )

I have observed that seeing a mobile home with a mowed lawn and kept neat is rare. So rare that I point it out to the wife.

Usually the reason acreage with a mobile home is an eyesore is because of the 7 or 8 outbuildings and 5 or 6 cars ( maybe a couple still running ) that are visible.

The wife says----" maybe they are poor"

I respond---" do you lose all sense of pride whedn you're poor? "

It doesn't take wealth to be at least somewhat neat !

I agree!! A person can be poor and respectable. Soap and water don't know who is using them! I also might add that the lifestyle (smoking, drinking and drugs) has a tendency to make people poor

Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Is it anywhere close to the house that takes up two lots. LOL Can't wait to go there again and hear about this. I do not understand building McMansions close enough to water to be flooded. I have seen too many McMansions with four feet of water halfway up the door. Makes absolutely no sense.

If you get a big enough piece of land, you don't have to worry about what moves in next door or how big their house is or how it is built. I was born in a house that had 100 acres around it. Our nearest neighbors were 1/10 mile away and they were basically that far away from their next neighbor.

Re: your last paragraph: that's my kinda place!!! uh, where was that again?!?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 12,535 times
It really sounds like Tellico Village is where you would want to live. It is a community of mostly retirees from all over the U.S. There is Tellico Lake, 3 golf courses, a wellness center and all kinds of activities like tennis, pickleball, swimming, boating, and golf. Turkey Creek is the major shopping area just 20 minutes away and Knoxville is about 1/2 hour away with Tennessee Volunteers football, Lady Vols basketball, Tennessee Theater, etc. and it's about an hour from the Smoky Mountains. Housing prices are down now as everywhere, so it is a good time to buy. You can search the MLS listings in Loudon County, then select Tellico Village. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 AM

66 posts, read 145,509 times
if you want zoning codes that require houses be of certain structure you are going to have to move into a larger area or buy so much land you are immune to it.

That will be in area of rural TN.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM

20 posts, read 34,855 times
My husband and I are also in the plan of moving back to TN from NY. We're not city folk, we live up in the Catskill Mountains. No problem relating to anyone, it's a small town. I love the Hudson Valley but NY is taxing us right out of here. That is how they break communities and why many people don't even know their neighbors, which is how the criminals weasel their way in.
There are only a few specifics we need.. being around other good, honest, caring, loving, accepting people is just the start... hubby is a chef and would feed the world if he could (we have no kids), we enjoy entertaining :-)

Other Important Factors.. High Speed Interwebs, phone, cable, etc.. make it easy on yourselves..
check this link first and save a headache later. I could not run my home-based business without the web. I won't even look at a property if there is no way for me to do business. I want to grow and create jobs where I live, not be stifled or forced to use unreliable satellite for a fortune every month.

High Speed Internet Providers by Zip Code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee