Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 10,684 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire within the next couple years and so far Tennessee looks to offer the most. It’s now time to get down and dirty in finding the right place. He is big into fishing, hunting and gardening and wants to be in a remote area (and if possible like to hunt on our own land as we do in WI), where I enjoy the company of people and am heavy into crafts and really don’t want to have to pack a lunch to get to a store. He’s had his sights set to northern Wisconsin but the weather is just too bad and taxes are too high. Religion is not a make it or break it – that said, since we’ll have more time I’m sure I’ll visit a church more than I do now. Being close to hospitals would be important since this would be our last home and it would be comforting to know we had good medical care available within a reasonable distance.

We also both enjoy going out to dinner and to concerts and who know what else since we’ll have more time on our hands.

Could you please help by directing me to areas that we should start looking for houses and equally important areas that we should stay clear of? Lake front would be a definite plus but it’s not necessary the most important.

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can give,
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM

157 posts, read 439,388 times
Jennifer, How big a place ? What price? Go to the main page & click on town/cities. It gives all kind of info. Good luck

Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 PM

13,341 posts, read 39,831,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndmomma View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire within the next couple years and so far Tennessee looks to offer the most. It’s now time to get down and dirty in finding the right place. He is big into fishing, hunting and gardening and wants to be in a remote area (and if possible like to hunt on our own land as we do in WI), where I enjoy the company of people and am heavy into crafts and really don’t want to have to pack a lunch to get to a store. He’s had his sights set to northern Wisconsin but the weather is just too bad and taxes are too high. Religion is not a make it or break it – that said, since we’ll have more time I’m sure I’ll visit a church more than I do now. Being close to hospitals would be important since this would be our last home and it would be comforting to know we had good medical care available within a reasonable distance.

We also both enjoy going out to dinner and to concerts and who know what else since we’ll have more time on our hands.

Could you please help by directing me to areas that we should start looking for houses and equally important areas that we should stay clear of? Lake front would be a definite plus but it’s not necessary the most important.

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can give,
Jennifer
Check out areas just west of Cookeville, say around Baxter, Smithville, or Carthage. There are several lakes in the area, the hospital in Cookeville is large, there's tons of shopping and restaurants in Cookeville, and the Appalachian Center for Craft is near there along the shores of beautiful Center Hill Lake.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,439,782 times
The following link is the master link for all Chamber of Commerces in the State of Tennessee...
Tennesse Chamber of Commerce, TN Directory of Chambers Write the Chamber and ask for information on what "YOU" are looking for. Be warned you will have every Real Estate Agent most likely contacting you..
You should familiarize your self on the counties of the State of Tennessee when your doing searches. I find by doing county search you get more information. http://www.censusfinder.com/maptn.htm

Fish-In & Hunt-In http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/fish/fishmain.html

Tennessee Craft Guilds http://www.tennesseecrafts.org/

Old 08-01-2010, 09:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Your post screams somewhere between Gatlinburg and Knoxville. Probably Seymour. Maybe even Maryville. They are near Knoxville for dinner and concert options, plus have some of their own. Crafting is HUGE in Gatlinburg. He can hunt on his own land. And churches? Well, pshaw, we have a church on every corner and one in-between. Oh and excellent health systems and hospitals around here.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Thank you so much for all the help - I'll be checking out all the links tomorrow - if I start now I'll never get to sleep. My head is spinning already with so much to look at. My hope is that within the next couple months we can take a car ride and check out some areas. Are the hotels frendly to dogs? We have a couple basset hounds and a little pup that thinks he is one that we like to bring with.

I'm sure I'll be updating with more questions as I contune our search - thanks again for all your help.

Jennifer

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Knoxville has hotels that are pet-friendly. The tourist areas in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg do, too. I also know that their is a LaQuinta at the Strawberry Plains exit off of I-40. I'm not sure about Maryville and pet-friendly places to stay and I don't think there are any hotels in Seymour. It's a very small community that's near Knoxville.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Wow, it’s been a busy few weeks doing research on all that Tennessee has to offer. And so much of it is so good that my husband, that has always planned on retiring in northern WI is liking most of what he’s seeing where I can say he’s almost getting excited about taking our first visit this fall for a up close and personal look see.

That said we seem to be running into one road block that might stop us. Snakes. He plans to spend most of his time fishing and walking in the woods, and from everything we read we can’t find bodies of water that there is less of a chance of running in to a snake. We have three dogs – two basset hounds and one little guy that thinks he’s a hound that he likes to take down to the lake in WI – Between the three dogs there is not a full brain cell – so I already know they won’t be smart enough to go the other way. Hell, these guys run through the woods with bears up in Wisconsin, they’ll think this little thing slithering can’t do me much harm. Can anyone direct us on where we should be looking or is it hopeless?

As always, thanks for all your help in advance,
Jennifer

Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM

283 posts, read 897,967 times
I've lived in the midwest and in the south, and have never been anywhere that there were no snakes. But, bear in mind, the snakes usually try to avoid contact, and there are lots of snakes that you'll never even know are around. They aren't hangin' around the banks of rivers and lakes spoiling for a fight.

Snakebites occur when a snake is frightened and we force it to react in self-defense instead of allowing it to escape. If you have trained your dogs to come when called, you should be able to get them to leave a snake alone if they do happen upon one.

One time, when I lived in Florida, I let my young pup out and then heard him barking madly a moment later. Opened the door and heard the rattles... thought, aw darnit, he hasn't mastered come! yet. Called him anyways, and he came right away. The only other snake I remember in Florida was a poor, chilled garter snake who was curled up in my workshop in the dead of winter. I left him alone, since they deal with a lot of pests. I lived out in the goonies, near a lot of small lakes, and those are the only snakes I remember seeing.

In Ohio, I had a old farmhouse. One day, doing the dishes and looking out the kitchen window, I realized that a big snake was hanging off the gutter. ewwwww. They lived in the walls and the attic, and took care of the mice for me. Never saw one in the house, tho.

I googled snakes in Wisconsin - did you know there are around 21 kinds of snakes there? 2 are venomous. Ohio has around 29 kinds, 3 are venomous. There are around 32 kinds in Tennesse, 4 are venomous. There are 50 in Florida, and 6 are venomous. Clearly more venom around the further you go south. haha.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 AM

36,225 posts, read 30,664,456 times
I never considered snakes a problem. All my family have always fished and hunted and I spend at least half my time in the woods, fields and around water. You just have to be mindful that they are around. I have one not so smart dog, she has been bitten twice this past yr. If it is a copperhead, it most likely wont be serious. My sister keeps meds for snake bites for her dogs. One year all 4 of them were copperhead bit, one of them about 3 times in one summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee