U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369

Advertisements

If you live in the country, guineas are great for tick and chigger control, dogs and cats for snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,482,478 times
Reputation: 3243
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbunnies View Post
Sigh...I just love when people pick on you for asking a serious question. I was just meaning can kids run around the yard with out watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake, etc. Could they play soccer in the yard with out worry? Could you sit in the grass at the playground and tie a kids shoe? These are the things I am concerned with. I don't think any of that is stupid.

Thank you to those who answered my question
Sorry if I offended you. But, if you'll note, most of the "picking" was on other, dumber questions that have occurred all too frequently on this forum.

Like 2mares said, there are snakes, ticks and chiggers. You won't have much trouble with any if you use some common sense. And please, don't let any concern keep you from the outdoors.

There are quite a number and variety of snakes in Tennessee and they are protected. The biggest I've seen was longer than my driveway was wide. (Some kind of racer, I think.) And we do have snakes that climb trees. Personally, IMO, snakes that climb trees belong in the Congo and not Tennessee, but that's the breaks. Point is, if you see a snake, odds are it's a nonvenomous beneficial snake. And, again, like 2mares said, if there is an issue around a house, it'll probably be a copperhead. So learn what they look like so you won't find yourself whacking some poor corn snake.

So, yes, kids can run around the yard without watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake. The snakes will move first. Or bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: at the foot of my mountain
459 posts, read 1,099,716 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Uh, hello? It's called Skunk-Ape in the South, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Reputation: 13302
National park rangers across the country say that the majority of people that are bitten by a snake are wounded in the hands. That's because people are stupid enough to reach out to the snake. What's the snake going to do? Bite. In other words, given half a chance, a snake would rather slither away than bite you.

Once, in Florida, a water moccasin and I almost ran right into each other. We both were momentarily startled and then we both ran in opposite directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sorry if I offended you. But, if you'll note, most of the "picking" was on other, dumber questions that have occurred all too frequently on this forum.

Like 2mares said, there are snakes, ticks and chiggers. You won't have much trouble with any if you use some common sense. And please, don't let any concern keep you from the outdoors.

There are quite a number and variety of snakes in Tennessee and they are protected. The biggest I've seen was longer than my driveway was wide. (Some kind of racer, I think.) And we do have snakes that climb trees. Personally, IMO, snakes that climb trees belong in the Congo and not Tennessee, but that's the breaks. Point is, if you see a snake, odds are it's a nonvenomous beneficial snake. And, again, like 2mares said, if there is an issue around a house, it'll probably be a copperhead. So learn what they look like so you won't find yourself whacking some poor corn snake.

So, yes, kids can run around the yard without watching each step carefully so they don't trip over a snake. The snakes will move first. Or bite.
Last year my sis was sitting on her covered porch when 2 snakes dropped from the roof almost into her lap. The snakes didnt make it, protected or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
71 posts, read 126,996 times
Reputation: 69
If you live out in a rural area where your neighbors aren't too close you could also get some peacocks. They are a natural way to control snakes. At the Portland Zoo they let the peacocks roam freely just for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Reputation: 20369
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiloosMom View Post
If you live out in a rural area where your neighbors aren't too close you could also get some peacocks. They are a natural way to control snakes. At the Portland Zoo they let the peacocks roam freely just for that purpose.
Ive been wanting to get one but they are pricy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
 
24 posts, read 73,639 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Uh, hello? It's called Skunk-Ape in the South, LOL.
Or Swamp Cabbage Man in Central Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM
 
230 posts, read 450,123 times
Reputation: 239
I always hear about copperheads but don't think I've ever seen one in all my time in Cookeville. Are they not known to that area?

Can't keep the scorpions, spiders and diamondbacks out of area in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow in "OZ "
23,635 posts, read 21,973,649 times
Reputation: 29504
Snakes of Tennessee : SNAKES OF TENNESSEE Most wild life stations or parks have these pamphlets for had out.. "FREE"

Spiders of Tennessee.. http://www.easttennesseewildflowers....umName=spiders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top