Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

First of all, as a New Englander I am here to tell you that you will be told it is cold, cold, cold here and yes, they do get snow, darn it, and they use to get a lot more in years gone by.

And to them, that is the darn truth. However, they don't understand that our cold and theirs are two different things. And when it is record-breaking cold here it is the same, but worse, up north. And our snow and theirs are two different things, also. Where I come from 60 inches a season is the norm.

The winters are mild compared to what you are use to. By the way, my husband is from Chicago with family from Indiana. The reality is that Yankees are use to MUCH colder temperatures and MUCH more snow and our winter season down here lasts a few months as opposed to the endless one up north.

No, it is NOT Florida, and thank goodness for that.

The unemployment rate is slightly better in the Knoxville metro area than Nashville, with the former being 8.1 and the latter being 9.0, according to the latest numbers. That being said, you will definitely want to get something lined up, wherever you go. Check into Betchel-Jacobs. I believe they are still the security folks that handle Oak Ridge.

And yes, I firmly believe in renting before buying and also checking out all possibilities for relocation areas. Absoutely.

We moved to Knoxville because of job possibilities. The pay was about the same as Nashville and housing was a bit cheaper in Knoxville. However, ultimately, we avoided Chattanooga and Nashville because of too many transplants. After living in Florida, I think that some transplants are good for an area but too many can change the entire vibe of a city or town. I had enough of that for this lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,707 times
Thanks again. I love Nashville for the nightlife and the history and will definitely want/dream of insurance that will cover my daughter going to Vandy for her annual exams and anything that's not a crisis situation requiring immediate stabilization. But the vibe in Nashville the last few times I've been there just hasn't been 'it' in terms of what I'm looking for, kwim? I am keeping an open mind though, as alot can change either direction in eighteen months.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
I think what perpetuates the feeling of 'cold, cold, cold' is that fact that it's so danged GRAY here in the winter. We were in NM last winter and were just recently discussing how while we won't miss the snow in NM, we will miss the bright blue winter skies.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
Thanks again. I love Nashville for the nightlife and the history and will definitely want/dream of insurance that will cover my daughter going to Vandy for her annual exams and anything that's not a crisis situation requiring immediate stabilization. But the vibe in Nashville the last few times I've been there just hasn't been 'it' in terms of what I'm looking for, kwim? I am keeping an open mind though, as alot can change either direction in eighteen months.
I know exactly what you mean. It's not for everyone and if anywhere doesn't feel quite like home then it doesn't matter how great the city is.

I don't know if there's a children's hospital in Knoxville, but at least you'll be near UTK Medical School which I know puts out some good doctors.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I know exactly what you mean. It's not for everyone and if anywhere doesn't feel quite like home then it doesn't matter how great the city is.

I don't know if there's a children's hospital in Knoxville, but at least you'll be near UTK Medical School which I know puts out some good doctors.
Yes, in my previous post I said there is a children's hospital in Knoxville, but UTK Medical is also an excellent option. Knoxville has wonderful hospitals and a lot of them for a city of this size. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I know firsthand about the quality of the medical care.

East Tennessee Children's Hospital

Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, in my previous post I said there is a children's hospital in Knoxville, but UTK Medical is also an excellent option. Knoxville has wonderful hospitals and a lot of them for a city of this size. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I know firsthand about the quality of the medical care.

East Tennessee Children's Hospital
I know what you mean there...unfortunately as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee