U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,942 times

Advertisements

I saw your post regarding comparisons in climate, FL vs TN. Here are a few suggestions and comments:
1. Get a copy of PLACES RATED ALMANAC by David Savageau. Look at the "Climate" chapter. Compare the graphs of your location in FL with your planned new location in TN. Don't concern yourself with the temperature readings of the graphs... just look at the difference between the graphs (which is higher? when? which is lower? when? how long?) You are already familiar which "how it feels" where you are... you need to estimate how it **would** feel in your planned location in TN.
2. I've lived here in TN for 13 years. In that brief time, the weather/climate experience has changed. The summers are hotter. Winters are wetter. IMHO, there is no predictable pattern that you could rely on.

Clearly, the information regarding climate is just a small part of your overall decision to relocate here in TN. I assume that you've checked out those other factors. I would like to clarify a misconception about taxes here. These facts may or may not affect you:
a) FL does not have a gift tax. TN does.
b) TN does have a Personal Income Tax. It does not apply to wages and salaries, but does affect investment income. TN advertising proclaims that there is no income tax here. That is not true.

If you have kids, take a close look at the quality of TN public schools.

Your decision may be simplified if you readjust your thinking. You aren't looking for the **best** location; you are looking for the **least bad.**

Mike B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 AM

736 posts, read 1,049,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perstare View Post
I saw your post regarding comparisons in climate, FL vs TN. Here are a few suggestions and comments:
1. Get a copy of PLACES RATED ALMANAC by David Savageau. Look at the "Climate" chapter. Compare the graphs of your location in FL with your planned new location in TN. Don't concern yourself with the temperature readings of the graphs... just look at the difference between the graphs (which is higher? when? which is lower? when? how long?) You are already familiar which "how it feels" where you are... you need to estimate how it **would** feel in your planned location in TN.
2. I've lived here in TN for 13 years. In that brief time, the weather/climate experience has changed. The summers are hotter. Winters are wetter. IMHO, there is no predictable pattern that you could rely on.

Clearly, the information regarding climate is just a small part of your overall decision to relocate here in TN. I assume that you've checked out those other factors. I would like to clarify a misconception about taxes here. These facts may or may not affect you:
a) FL does not have a gift tax. TN does.
b) TN does have a Personal Income Tax. It does not apply to wages and salaries, but does affect investment income. TN advertising proclaims that there is no income tax here. That is not true.

If you have kids, take a close look at the quality of TN public schools.

Your decision may be simplified if you readjust your thinking. You aren't looking for the **best** location; you are looking for the **least bad.**

Mike B

I agree 100%. People planning on moving to Tennessee or any where else need to put everything out on paper. For some the cost of living in TN may be cheaper but for others it isn't. There is so much you have to factor in when re-locating. For us we took a huge pay cut by moving to TN. Most of our every month bills went up when we moved here. So for us it wasn't cheaper to move to TN. TN is a beautiful place. But do your homework before moving.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 5 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,047,160 times
It's all about perspective, folks. If you are moving here from California, you might not like the weather. From Chicago? You'll think the weather is mild. Native Floridian, you might think it is cold.

Same for money. Salary and cost of living will be different, depending on where you hail from.

Another huge factor: The great state of Tennessee is huge. It's closer for me to travel to Cleveland, Cincinatti and Indianapolis as it is to Memphis. And the climatology is very, very different in the south, east, west and north of the state, as is the salaries and cost of living. You can't generalize when it comes to Tennessee.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:43 PM

By the way, for tax burden, TN is the 44th in the country. I have never seen any "advertising" but I continually tell people that we do not tax wages or pensions. There is the Hall tax. I constantly put up this link so people can find out for themselves.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977-2008

By the way, I think it is a mistake to move to an area just because of its weather or cost of living. There is a lifestyle to different areas and you are either going to fit in or you are not. It is a huge consideration.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM

849 posts, read 1,454,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfFlorida View Post
Fort Lauderdale

I see on the news that they closed two beaches one beach in Miami-dade and one in broward, because of some sort of bacteria.
IMO that's one more reason to move. hehe

Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
I see on the news that they closed two beaches one beach in Miami-dade and one in broward, because of some sort of bacteria.
IMO that's one more reason to move. hehe
Cape Coral's is closed, too, over on the other coast.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 PM

8 posts, read 5,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
Where did you live in TN? And where in FL do you live now? If you don't mind me asking.
No, I don't mind...I lived in Clarksville for 12 years and Murfreesboro for 1 year. I moved to Port Charlotte, FL last Sept. And then settled in Longwood, FL in April. I love it here, but I do miss TN sometimes! Thinking about doing the "snowbird" thing! lol
And you? If you don't mind me asking??

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyweeza View Post
We are from NE Florida (Amelia Island/Yulee) and it has been unbearable here. My husband and I grew up on the island when one fan would cool the entire house, now even the air conditioners can't keep up. We have broken the record for the most days above 90 degrees (44) - with that said we can't wait to move to our place in Sneedville TN. I tell everyone that I can put on more clothes when it is cold, I can't take off enough clothes when it's HOT!!!
LOL
I'd rather sweat to death than freeze! I think doing the "snowbird" thing is the perfect answer...although, I'm not sure I'd pick TN for the summers, it gets pretty hot and humid there too...maybe NC...it's pretty nice there!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
If you use Google or Yahoo you can put several weather links up for that section of the state city /town.. I have 4 city's weather on my Google Home Page.. After 4-6 months you kinda some what know the weather for that area of the state.. I can tell you they have 4 real seasons in Tennessee an real snow.. Not like Florida with 2 seasons... blah warm hot & wet.... and blah hotter than Hattie's...
One great thing about Tennessee "NO" Hurricanes !!!
You must travel too Tennessee Eastern or Middle this falls...you will not want to return too Florida..
No hurricanes...BUT...plenty of tornados!!!!! If you ask me, it's something to consider. I was born an Okie, transplanted on TN for 13 years...personally, I'm sick of tornados! I've lived in FL for a year now, so far I haven't seen a hurricane, but it's looking like I might get to this year!
Oh well, at least they have hurricane parties afterwards...never had a tornado party before!! lol

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 AM

Yes, I spent hours tonight reading ALL the post on this question...as I sit here in TN! lol
I'm on vacation...came up for my daughters wedding next weekend.
Guess what? It's hot here too! I can't tell much difference from the weather I left in FL!
Have a wonderful week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee