Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
Boy, this is a hard one for me to address. It has been very hot. In fact, this summer has made my other half state many times that he would like to go back to Florida. This is from someone who told me a few months ago that he wanted to be buried in Tennessee. He hates the heat, but admits that it is worse here in middle Tennessee than in Florida. Electric costs are higher in Tennessee (ash spill, etc.). Adding to the cost are places built without any insulation.
We lived on the west coast of Florida, so the breeze is not as frequent as on the east coast of the State, but there is absolutely no breeze at all here. Three days ago, he watched a dog die of the heat because people here have no concern for their pets. It is horrible. They have no clue.
This heat does not bother me at all, but the winters are very depressing to me. I do not like 9 degrees and snow. Grey skies all winter is not my style. It gets dark way too early for me and is miserable. If you are used to having sunlight by the time you get home from work, forget middle Tennessee.
People here do not know how to drive in any kind of weather, much less snow. If it rains, they damn near stop on the interstate - not sure why, but it is a fact. I drive the interstate everyday and I see it all the time.
I fell twice last year on the ice and could not go to work for 3 days because I injuried my hip. So, I am old now and should have been able not to fall, but it happens. At least now, where I work, they know not to expect me to show up if there is any chance of snow in the forecast. I told them they can kiss my ass, I'm not doing it.
Speaking of forecast, the poor weather people here have no clue. It is useless to try and watch the weather report in the morning, because they are so far off, isn't even funny. Here, you just have to look at the sky and guess.
I've been here two years and I really tried to like the move and what we were trying to do, but we are both ready to go back to Florida. Hopefully, I will be able to find something to do. The job I have here is great, but not worth this.
Think about why it is you are wanting to move. Sometimes you end up worse off than where you are.
I have heard that middle TN is a lot hotter in the summer than in east Tn and I also have hear that they have more severe storms in middle than east. I'm sorry that you are not happy in TN and I hope that you can find a place that makes you and your husband happy. I don't know when you were in FL last but it has been REALLY, REALLY HOT here also. And FL is not the place that it used to be either. And it is really hard to find the perfect place for winter & summer. There isn't any place that everyone would be happy about everything. If there were such a place EVERYONE would move there and then everyone would be unhappy anyway because it would be too crowded.
I really do wish you the best. You have to do what makes you comfortable and if that is FL then go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 PM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
FL to NIOTA, thanks for the good wishes! Sometimes things aren't what you were looking for, but that's life! I know you have been doing a lot of research and looking forward to getting to Tennessee. I wish you all the best and perhaps our paths will cross. You just never know.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Joisey.........that's worse than Florida....( been there done that on both places )....
Amen to that. I did my visit. I'll never go back.

Quote:
I've made my last move...., the plateau is my paradise....
It is paradise. I'm in love with it here. That said, it looks like we'll be heading north in a couple years. John's surgeon said he needs another surgery and his entire life will be that way. One after the other, eventually leaving him in a wheelchair. I want to spend time with him while he can still get out and around. And when he can't I'll need help caring for him. His family is in the northeast, so we're planning on putting the house up for sale this spring and looking for land in Maine. I'm guessing by the fall of 2012 we'll be up there.

So we need to get together soon again!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

It is paradise. I'm in love with it here. That said, it looks like we'll be heading north in a couple years. John's surgeon said he needs another surgery and his entire life will be that way. One after the other, eventually leaving him in a wheelchair. I want to spend time with him while he can still get out and around. And when he can't I'll need help caring for him. His family is in the northeast, so we're planning on putting the house up for sale this spring and looking for land in Maine. I'm guessing by the fall of 2012 we'll be up there.

If you get out in the wilds of Maine it isn't too bad but if you live near civilization, it is expensive. It's beautiful, though. I spent many a summer in Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. But since you are a native Floridian I have to tell ya that you are in for a shock when it comes to winters. I'd love to summer there if I were very rich, but even I, a New Englander, don't know if I could ever take another winter in New England and Maine is brutal. Even if you say you LOVE the cold, I will believe it when I see it.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you get out in the wilds of Maine it isn't too bad but if you live near civilization, it is expensive. It's beautiful, though. I spent many a summer in Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. But since you are a native Floridian I have to tell ya that you are in for a shock when it comes to winters. I'd love to summer there if I were very rich, but even I, a New Englander, don't know if I could ever take another winter in New England and Maine is brutal. Even if you say you LOVE the cold, I will believe it when I see it.
We're looking as far north on the coast as you can get - Washington County. I do love the winter. Not a huge fan of tons of snow, but I do enjoy it. But he needs this and I'd rather suffer through some harsh winters and have time to spend with my husband while I can. It's a trade off. And it puts me back close to the water and that's becoming more and more important to me.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Get together again soon is right.....then we'll talk about this Maine thingy....

There will be options to stay here in "paridise".....

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM

27 posts, read 86,689 times
Talking about weather, today was miserable in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfFlorida View Post
We had wonderful, wonderful rain today! Tomorrow, our high will be 88. I'm sorry.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfFlorida View Post
Upper 70's with rain most of the day on the plateau.....

Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Most of yesterday we were in the mid-high 80s with rain and very high humidity. It was pretty miserable. But around 3:30 a shower moved through and it got nice and cool after that. Back to low 90s today, but that's still cooler than low 100s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee