U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 6,240 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting out of the military soon and we're looking for somewhere to call home. We were thinking about TX but it's too far from our family. Thinking about TN because the cost of living is good, it's near our family (VA) and it's known as a conservative area. We have 3 young children. Things we're looking for in a town:
1. Family friendly/suburban small town feel
2. No more than 30 mins from downtown/ city area
3. Good public schools
4. Good neighborhood up to 150,000s price range
5. Houses not on top of each other decent size yards (room to go four wheelin)
6. Republican/ Conservative people dominating
7. Good ol boy mentality
8. Low crime
9. Friendly people where you know most of everyone
10. We like the 4 seasons
11. Near fishing (one of husband and sons' hobbies) and swimming
12. A fire department with decent pay to support the family

Is Chattanooga what we're looking for? What about Cookeville? Any other areas fit this description? Thank yall so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM

9,071 posts, read 21,557,891 times
I really like both Chattanooga and Cookeville. However, they are completely different. Chattanooga is much larger and much older. Chattanooga is very urban and has over 170,000 in its city and a half-million people in its metro area. Cookeville only has 30,000 people but it's an hour from Nashville.

Otherwise, both towns meet all of your criteria. However, Cookeville's public schools are probably better than Chattanooga's, but Chattanooga has some of the country's best private schools.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win

Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I really like both Chattanooga and Cookeville. However, they are completely different. Chattanooga is much larger and much older. Chattanooga is very urban and has over 170,000 in its city and a half-million people in its metro area. Cookeville only has 30,000 people but it's an hour from Nashville.

Otherwise, both towns meet all of your criteria. However, Cookeville's public schools are probably better than Chattanooga's, but Chattanooga has some of the country's best private schools.
Thanks for the info. Is there certain suburbs in Chattanooga I should look into that is most like my description of what we're looking for? From your description it sounds a little more big city than what we're looking for.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 PM

383 posts, read 614,841 times
Cookeville is not really suburban, and certainly more than 30 minutes from a city's (Nashville's or Knoxville's) downtown. Check out Farragut or Maryville outside of Knoxville... or even Jefferson City (north of Knoxville). Or look at Mt. Juliet, Springfield, Joelton, Ridgebriar, Pleasant View or Goodlettsville, outside of Nashville. Or check out East Brainerd or Ooltewah outside of Chattanooga. Harrison is next to the large, Chickamauga Lake.

Chattanooga and Knoxville are Republican areas... and Nashville (proper) is Democrat, but the suburbs are mostly Republican. The Democrat Congressman from the 6th District, a suburban area to the east and south of Nashville... and their new representative will very likely be a Republican.

From your description of what you're looking for, I'd not recommend Memphis.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM

155 posts, read 149,062 times
What about Cleveland? I don't know much about Cleveland but it seems it matches up with quite a few of those, based on what I do know. Anybody who knows Cleveland better want to chime in on that?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM

245 posts, read 457,604 times
Cookeville will fit most of your criteria better than Chattanooga.
As far as #7, be careful what you wish for. The good old boy mentality leaves a lot to be desired but you'll get that in Cookeville for sure.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,237,429 times
Chattanooga doesn't sound like a good fit to me. The city itself is progressive and big, relatively. Cookeville would be okay especially surrounding areas in the county.

Someone recommended Farragut, that seems like an awful match as well. Sounds to me that around Knoxville you'd want something up towards Clinton or Norris, or down in South Knoxville. Around Nashville, look towards Wilson County - Mt Juliet, Lebanon, Watertown.

I agree that Cleveland would be a good match, it's a good distance from any "city/downtown" of any size, though. You might also want to check out the Tri-Cities up in the northeast corner.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 PM

thanks everyone for the info.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 PM

21,680 posts, read 31,723,338 times
These are my thoughts, as well. North Knox County would probably work, too; Heiskell. A little more than 4,000 people - it feels like farm country- but about 12 minutes to downtown. We rented there for about three years before we bought our house in Knoxville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Chattanooga doesn't sound like a good fit to me. The city itself is progressive and big, relatively. Cookeville would be okay especially surrounding areas in the county.

Someone recommended Farragut, that seems like an awful match as well. Sounds to me that around Knoxville you'd want something up towards Clinton or Norris, or down in South Knoxville. Around Nashville, look towards Wilson County - Mt Juliet, Lebanon, Watertown.

I agree that Cleveland would be a good match, it's a good distance from any "city/downtown" of any size, though. You might also want to check out the Tri-Cities up in the northeast corner.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM

709 posts, read 1,203,571 times
The job market seems to be tight everywhere. I think I would try to get a job first, before choosing a place. Unless that's not necessary for you, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee