U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM

375 posts, read 915,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That website said Tennessee is 46th, last year 45th.
I think it's ranked from "best" to "worst". Either that or Nevada has the lowest crime rate in the nation......

The latest Census data ranks us #2 for violent crime. I know Memphis and to a lesser extent the other metros dominate the stats, but still. Getting kindof out of hand.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM

938 posts, read 2,660,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
I think it's ranked from "best" to "worst". Either that or Nevada has the lowest crime rate in the nation......

The latest Census data ranks us #2 for violent crime. I know Memphis and to a lesser extent the other metros dominate the stats, but still. Getting kindof out of hand.
Yes, the website I posted was ranking from best to worst.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,822,062 times
Quote:
That is exactly right. This state reports crime very, very differently than a lot of other states. For instance, in Florida, if someone is charged with five counts it is considered one incident. In TN, it is considered five.

Further, Atlanta actually already got caught once under-reporting their stats. Chattanooga has worse crime than Atlanta? Cut me a break.

Florida is very dishonest, often due to tourism. But in Lee County it also has to do with politics. There are two sheriffs that routinely accuse the other of falsifying the stats.

I've lived in the northeast, Florida and now Knoxville. It is a beautiful, small city with wonderful weather and people.

Let's take a look at their top picks. Would you want to retire there?

1. New Hampshire. Weather. 'Nuff said.
2. Hawaii. Sure. If you can afford it.
3. South Dakota. Weather and well, just no.
4. North Dakota. See: "South Dakota"
5. Iowa. Weather.
6. Virginia: Okay. I can buy that.
7. Utah. That one, too.
8. Connecticut. Expensive, weather.
9. Vermont. Expensive, weather.
10. Idaho. Too brown and too many transplants.
I was in touch with a friend from Idaho last week and he said it is becoming "Califidaho" because of the California folks migrating there!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 21,683 times
Every day our local news starts with "Breaking News"! there has been another shooting/stabbing/carjacking/armed robbery. We are so acclimated to it that we just glance up just make sure that it wasn't in our "neighborhood".

Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 PM

22,518 posts, read 45,637,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyweeza View Post
Every day our local news starts with "Breaking News"! there has been another shooting/stabbing/carjacking/armed robbery. We are so acclimated to it that we just glance up just make sure that it wasn't in our "neighborhood".
I had to look it up but it seems like grannyweeza lives in Yulee, Florida.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,612,668 times
Quote:
I had to look it up but it seems like grannyweeza lives in Yulee, Florida.
The last shooting I remember near me (Seymour) was an older woman who shot one of the thieves trying to rob her.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,695,432 times
That list had San Francisco rated as 5th on the best places ... I think that tells us the credibility of the list. Crime in Frisco will probably be more than several TN cities combined let alone the over crowding and very high cost of living.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 AM

33,763 posts, read 31,909,917 times
Quote:
That is exactly right. This state reports crime very, very differently than a lot of other states. For instance, in Florida, if someone is charged with five counts it is considered one incident. In TN, it is considered five.

Further, Atlanta actually already got caught once under-reporting their stats. Chattanooga has worse crime than Atlanta? Cut me a break.

Florida is very dishonest, often due to tourism. But in Lee County it also has to do with politics. There are two sheriffs that routinely accuse the other of falsifying the stats.

I've lived in the northeast, Florida and now Knoxville. It is a beautiful, small city with wonderful weather and people.

Let's take a look at their top picks. Would you want to retire there?

1. New Hampshire. Weather. 'Nuff said.
2. Hawaii. Sure. If you can afford it.
3. South Dakota. Weather and well, just no.
4. North Dakota. See: "South Dakota"
Actually, North Dakota is the best state to live in the country right now if you are still in the workforce. Because of an oil boom, unemployment is only 3.7% there. Jobs are so plentiful that there is a bidding war for workers among employers. Motels are booked for months in advance. Home builders are working double shifts. The state has a budget surplus of close to $1 billion dollars.

Now would I want to retire there? No but if I was unemployed, had a family to support and was looking a good state to move to, that would be it.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 AM

22,518 posts, read 45,637,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Actually, North Dakota is the best state to live in the country right now if you are still in the workforce. Because of an oil boom, unemployment is only 3.7% there. Jobs are so plentiful that there is a bidding war for workers among employers. Motels are booked for months in advance. Home builders are working double shifts. The state has a budget surplus of close to $1 billion dollars.

Now would I want to retire there? No but if I was unemployed, had a family to support and was looking a good state to move to, that would be it.
Trust me. I am well aware of that and have told more than a few people that if they really, really want work, that is the place to go. I check unemployment levels on a continuous basis.

But this thread is about retirement and that was exactly my point.

I know a lot about what retirees are looking for and it is not in the Dakotas. In fact, I stopped someone on city-data from moving to Florida from North Dakota several years ago. She and her husband would still have worked and she would have bought at the height. I always tease her, now, about how I saved her. Now that prices are down and she is closer to retirement age she is back to looking in Florida, again.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,178,946 times
Something no one has mentioned that I would think would be important is lack of public transportation in TN. A lot of my elderly relatives became housebound as they got older because there was no way of getting anywhere. I also have a older neighbor who is disabled, has no money and no relatives that want anything to do with her. So she goes nowhere but the grocery store less than 1 mile away. As people age and are no longer able to drive not having public bus service or a way to the doctor's office or a way to get out and socialize would seem to make TN a bad retirement option. Plus the lack of activities I mean there don't seem to be hobby groups and support groups here like I've experienced in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or