Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

We had a similar ban that was instituted a year ago but restaurants that serve liquor didn't have to comply until next year. The interesting thing that happened is they all adopted the ban early, in fact there was a rush to be first. Some complained they would lose lots of buisness but the exact opposite happened and they gained!

As for the second hand smoke thing let me clarify my statement, I would agree that long term exposure like in a bar,airplane,house or enclosed space could in the long term cause lung issues but I don't think just walking by or being in the general area occasionally would do anything more than car exhaust or fire smoke does on a daily basis contrary to the ongoing hystaria.
That does not mean I would blow it in someones face or intentionally force it at someone because I do understand that some people don't enjoy the smell and it can irritate others.
As for the ban again, I say HURRAH! I couldn't eat at waffle house when we lived in GA because I felt like I was in LA when I went in and forget my family even stopping in the parking lot!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I was going to add too, I haven't seen anything about this ban here in Memphis, although I guess I haven't been in a bar today I had heard the October thing too, and I also agree that I bet a ton of places here won't follow through until then (or later).

If it works though, I'll be happy. I hate cigarette smoke. But again....does anyone know what the rule is for restaurants that sort of turn into bars at night (I'm thinking Beale St, college type bars, etc).

Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM

243 posts, read 887,427 times
Talking Smoking Ban

That's great!!!!!!!!! Now that we have taken care of the smoking issue we can concentrate on taking care of the drinking issue!!!!!!!!! Once we can educate the public of the dangers of drinking alcohol and make that illegal too, then and only then will we have a safe country. Just think of it, no one dying of second hand smoke and no one dying of drunk drivers. GREAT!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
My understanding is that if they allow people under 21 at any time, the place has to be smoke-free.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
That is true. Bars will be exempt if they do not allow anyone to enter that is under 21. The law takes effect on October 1.

Here is the link:

http://tennessee.gov/sos/acts/105/pub/pc0410.pdf

Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM

213 posts, read 551,075 times
I wanted to learn more about the new law so I Googled it and came across an article that ran in the Chattanooga paper. It said that the smoking ban does not apply to clubs that allow only 21 or above on the premises. The article also said that the ban on indoor smoking does not take effect until October 1st.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Did I not just say that?

Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Don't the majority of bars let in under 21's during the day, and only turn over 21 at night? Even on Beale St in Memphis....I can't think of one club that doesn't allow kids in during the day.

Doesn't that kind of go along with the law in TN (maybe it's just Memphis) that all bars must also serve food for at least dinner? Thus almost all "bars" are also restaurants for at least one meal a day. ??

Not that I don't agree with this law...but thinking of places like Beale St...their entire income revolves around the nightlife, people coming in and drinking, blues music, dancing, etc. But they also have to account for income based on families who visit during the day and want to come in with their kids.

Orrrrr.....does this law mean "under 21" to mean just you and your friends, not counting kids who come in with parents (because almost any bar will allow in a 10 year old at 9pm as long as he's with parents)

Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Nope. They are very specific.

"affirmatively restricts access to its buildings or facilities at all times to
persons who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older by requiring each
person who attempts to gain entry to such buildings or facilities to submit
for inspection an acceptable form of identification for the express purpose
of determining if the person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older;"

Also, this:

The term
"restaurant" shall include a bar area within the restaurant;

The first can have smoking, the second can not.

Florida at least put this to a state vote. I do not believe that Tennessee did.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 PM

213 posts, read 551,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Did I not just say that?
Sorry Hiknapster, I posted my comment before 4pm. For some reason it showed up at 4:48. It was not a repeat of your post; I guess it is a cyber thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee