U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM

37 posts, read 60,391 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for nearly a year now to find the place to call home. I am drawn to Tennessee because of the friendly people, low cost of living, mountains and weather. We have been lucky enough to visit a few times and have really taken a liking to it but that was vacation, as everyone knows living and vacation are two completely different species.

I had tried researching other states but have not come across the politeness, friendliness and welcoming feelings I have come to appreciate from the people of Tennessee

I am hoping to get some help locating a place to consider calling home within the next year. I will be as specific as I can think of being with hopes that you don't get tired and move on without leaving a suggestion

We currently live in Central Florida where we were last relocated via military and have endured 15 years of this weather so heat/humidity are not that uncommon to us...just not reallly appreciated any more. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids ranging in age from 14 - 9 that LOVE everything to do with outdoors...the fishing, camping, biking, hiking, sports etc...

I am hoping for sugggestions on areas that are near the mountains for the views, weather, lower humidity and peaceful lifestyle that is so not the busy city life. I want to be reasonably close to the town however for shopping, doctors, entertainment and activities for the kids so I guess you are thinking this is impossible because I want everything. I know not one place that has it all but I'm sure there are suggestions for places that come close.

We have a week vacation coming up in November again that we would like to enjoy checking out any suggestions that might help us find "the spot". We are not in need of employment because we work from home and that is definately a plus.

I hope this gives a rough idea of what we are looking for and hopefully it will spur some suggestions so we can start investigating right away. I am not partial to any particular location so I am anxious to see what you come up with for us.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

22,530 posts, read 45,922,032 times
Stick to East TN, for starters. Cooler weather, mountains.

You have no need for jobs, so that opens it up, a bit.

However, you have children, so that closes it back down. Generally, the smaller the town, the worse the school system. Small towns just don't have the budget for stellar educational offerings. In my neck of the woods, Knoxville, Oak Ridge and possibly the city of Maryville have good schools. I've also heard that Sevier County is pretty good, too.

I use to live in Florida; Orlando for a short while and then Fort Myers/Bonita Springs for a much longer time. You'll find the heat, humidity, and more importantly the dew point, to be more comfortable. We've been here five years, this past summer was a record breaker, and it was still more comfortable than Florida. Hard to believe, but unless you've lived in central Florida and points south, you have no idea how hot it gets and for how long.

That brings me to another great feature; our four seasons. We have incredibly beautiful springs and falls, and our winter is very mild. If you are a native of Florida then you will think it is very cold here. However, if you are originally from up north, the winter in East Tennessee is laughable, and that is a very good thing!

Bear in mind that our cities in East Tennessee are rather small. We get a lot of folks looking for a small town near Knoxville, until they realize that Knoxville feels more like a town, itself, and they usually end up settling here. Most of the towns in the area seem more rural. In fact, 10 minutes out of downtown Knoxville, in most directions, can put you in very rural territory. I once rented in Knox County, about 12 minutes from downtown, and there were more cows than people. I'm originally a country gal, but we ended up moving to the "city" because we didn't like it there.

Finally, it's good to see that you want to move here for all the "right" reasons. If you want politeness, friendliness and a welcome feeling, you've come to the "right" place. Be prepared to have strangers wave at you, people start up long and interesting conversations while waiting in line, and folks stopping and letting you into traffic. People think what I say is a bunch of baloney...until they see it for themselves.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,949,081 times
Of course, I suggest Chattanooga for the same reasons hiknapster suggests Knoxville. I agree that East TN is your best bet (again, for the same reasons stated above).

Good luck in your hunt!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 PM

We have visited on several occassions and enjoyed the sights of Chattanooga with the overly friendly people Also took a ride to Oak Ridge, Sweetwater where we had to laugh because we saw there was a park called "Duck Park"...silly us thinking it was a good place to bring the kids to play...it was literally for the ducks! lol

We absolutely loved the scenery around Sweetwater, however the town itself was a bit too relaxed for us, but then again I may have been on the wrong side of town. We also visited Dunlap, Whitwell and Jasper for a drive and found them to be a bit too relaxed as well so that is why we are open for suggestions

I have heard much about Knoxville but we didn't have the time last trip to investigate it ourselves, however I have investigated Maryville. From what I heard however, the water/air might pose a problem in that particular area I am facinated by being able to see snow, but not having to drive in 3 feet of it

And lastly schools are not such a drama maker because I honestly believe that between the student, the parent and the teacher, if the child wants to learn they will with the proper influence. But this is just my own personal opinion and experience with my three. I am more concerned with safety and drugs.

Thanks for the responses!!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Actually Hik, we are looking into Maryville again. From what I am reading it looks like a great place to further investigate and plan a visit to...any other personal opinions?

How are the medical facilities in Knoxville? I will need a few good suggestions when we finally decide where to settle.

We have family that is moving to Cleveland within the next month so we will be able to make more frequent trips when we find a possible area

Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM

23,584 posts, read 21,867,586 times
Age ~ Life Style~ Occupation ~ Education.. and how many in the family ~ ages of kids ~ religious ~ all these have a factor on where you put down roots.. Pick a place...take a vacation their ... talk too the locals.. check the place out... research - research and even more research.. Then " DO IT"..

Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Age ~ Life Style~ Occupation ~ Education.. and how many in the family ~ ages of kids ~ religious ~ all these have a factor on where you put down roots.. Pick a place...take a vacation their ... talk too the locals.. check the place out... research - research and even more research.. Then " DO IT"..

Lifestyle very family oriented, outdoors type that enjoy the country life just away from the hustle and craziness of the city.

Occupation: Luckily self-employed and have money to set us up so this is not an issue.

Education: We want a decent school system for our children with the opportunity to advance with college. We believe that as long as the school is not absolutely horrid and we stay interested in our kids lives they will perform just fine no matter where we are

Family size : 5, myself, hubby, 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat who thinks he is a jaguar.

Religion: We are christians by nature however believe all that worship what we call God is welcome in our home, no matter how they address him

I think I am doing research, planning another visit (which makes trip number 6 for us), asking for opinions on Maryville but open to suggestions...because we plan on moving in June so we want to get the ball rolling pretty quickly.

How is that for a plan Tinman Hope this helps the fine people of this board to come up with suggestions or comments on a place for us to look further into. As of right now Maryville seems to be the place I am most interested in, however the visit will tell all. In the mean time if anyone has suggestions on where I might find the most information, pictures, real estate agents etc for that area please feel free to jump in here.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 PM

23,584 posts, read 21,867,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Angels View Post

Lifestyle very family oriented, outdoors type that enjoy the country life just away from the hustle and craziness of the city.

Occupation: Luckily self-employed and have money to set us up so this is not an issue.

Education: We want a decent school system for our children with the opportunity to advance with college. We believe that as long as the school is not absolutely horrid and we stay interested in our kids lives they will perform just fine no matter where we are

Family size : 5, myself, hubby, 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat who thinks he is a jaguar.

Religion: We are christians by nature however believe all that worship what we call God is welcome in our home, no matter how they address him

I think I am doing research, planning another visit (which makes trip number 6 for us), asking for opinions on Maryville but open to suggestions...because we plan on moving in June so we want to get the ball rolling pretty quickly.

How is that for a plan Tinman Hope this helps the fine people of this board to come up with suggestions or comments on a place for us to look further into. As of right now Maryville seems to be the place I am most interested in, however the visit will tell all. In the mean time if anyone has suggestions on where I might find the most information, pictures, real estate agents etc for that area please feel free to jump in here.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Now search Tennessee for those values.. Eastern / Middle Tennessee has some great City's / Town's / Hamlets.

The following link is for all Chamber of Commerce with in the state.http://www.2chambers.com/tennesse2.htm They will send you "FREE" information. Just be specific on what you ask.. I would also set up a bogus e-mail address with bogus name.. This way you can glee on who and whom you contact.. Also get too know the counties of Tennessee.. when searching you will get better results searching by county.. other than City / Town / Hamlet

Following link is counties.. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/map...essee_map.html by clicking on the county it will give some information..

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 10-04-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 05:57 PM

851 posts, read 2,073,192 times
Just to let you know I called or email every chamber of commerce around the area that we were interested in. We asked for a "relocation packet" with a city map and some were free and some $5 . We wanted the map so that we could find our way around. And usually the city maps they send have extra little notes of interest on them. And they will send coupons and brochures for attactions in the area.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,210,173 times
We did a lot of looking, just as you are, before we moved to TN. We didn't have children in school to consider but schools are often a reflection of the community on the whole. Kids with parents who have no interest in them or their education are at risk for doing poorly academically and getting into trouble, no matter how good the schools. Conversely if the parents make education, knowledge and staying out of trouble a priority even if the schools are mediocre the kids will more than likely land on their feet.

As far as I am concerned Maryville and parts of Blount County near it would be a good match to most of what you have said is important. It is close to many outdoor opportunities as well. Plan on taking a large loop around the town out into southern Blount and back to get a feel of the range from full rural to complete suburban and back. While downtown Maryville has begun a terrific revitalization, it has stalled a bit with the downturn in the economy. It still has a fantastic potential as the economy recovers. There is, however, a good variety of commerce in town. Health care, shopping and food services are available along several main arteries leading in and out of town.

In general we hear that Maryville schools are rated as being slightly better than the county schools. The county schools are still considered to be quite good, especially when compared to many other communities in the area. When we comparison shopped taxes within the city limits were about twice the cost of taxes outside. However some of the expenses such as house insurance and garbage pick up will add to the county living expense.

Hope this helps in making some headway on your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or