Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The inside door not the storm door, silly.
Oh sorry wasn't thinking that some people have those. My townhome has a steel security door and that's all. The home I lived at before did too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Oh sorry wasn't thinking that some people have those. My townhome has a steel security door and that's all. The home I lived at before did too.
I really thought you were kidding!

We have a house and there are three outside doors. I see people with their windows opened and doors, too, in our neighborhood. It's Fountain City near Sterchi. Nothing upscale. Just good, decent people. I use to be afraid most of the time. Then I realized it was no way to live.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I really thought you were kidding!

We have a house and there are three outside doors. I see people with their windows opened and doors, too, in our neighborhood. It's Fountain City near Sterchi. Nothing upscale. Just good, decent people. I use to be afraid most of the time. Then I realized it was no way to live.
I think there is a lot of crime out there, but as far as windows/doors thing is more a matter of whether someone is there to see the window open or if there is something else attracts them to the house to begin with & then they see the open window. Plus may depend a lot on who your neighbors are and many times we don't always know our neighbors that well.

I've lived in an area with lots of breakins in past and yet I have accidently left my keyring in the front door when I came in from work and left it hanging there all night and not had anyone enter. I try to always lock doors including the car door when I'm driving. But I have had a number of assault incidents mainly I think because I am a very short woman which I think attracts creeps. Had a really petite doctor who told me short people get assaulted or confronted a lot for looking like easy targets & that she had been confront a lot of times. So maybe shorties should keep all windows and doors locked. I personally wouldn't leave windows open because of all the critters and bugs we have here in TN.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I think there is a lot of crime out there, but as far as windows/doors thing is more a matter of whether someone is there to see the window open or if there is something else attracts them to the house to begin with & then they see the open window. Plus may depend a lot on who your neighbors are and many times we don't always know our neighbors that well.

I've lived in an area with lots of breakins in past and yet I have accidently left my keyring in the front door when I came in from work and left it hanging there all night and not had anyone enter. I try to always lock doors including the car door when I'm driving. But I have had a number of assault incidents mainly I think because I am a very short woman which I think attracts creeps. Had a really petite doctor who told me short people get assaulted or confronted a lot for looking like easy targets & that she had been confront a lot of times. So maybe shorties should keep all windows and doors locked. I personally wouldn't leave windows open because of all the critters and bugs we have here in TN.
All the neighbors know each other. We are not on top of each other, have decent-sized lots, but we still all watch out for one another.

I have screens on all my windows. When we rented, I didn't have screens. The landlord kept promising but didn't deliver. I was so glad to move to this house. It really saves on air conditioning bills, too. And fresh air is good for you.

Funny, too, but I rented out in the countryside and I was more afraid of being broken into out there. I have a friend on this forum that lives in a neighborhood downtown that many would consider not the best area, yet he tells the story of going on vacation for quite awhile and coming back and realizing his door was open and nothing was taken.

It's 52 degrees and gorgeous out. Ah.....

Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Quote:
That is really, really funny, especially the dog that plays dead. If their barking didn't scare them they will be too busy laughing at their antics to steal anything.

I wonder what else everyone does. Do you all leave your doors open during the day? For instance, my husband and kid just left to go pick up pizzas. I'm sitting here with two doors wide open. Would you all lock the doors? Do you keep them locked during the day?

Yup- doors are open all day. I sometimes forget to close them. Shoot, I have four front doors- whaddya want from me? lol
I've even forgotten to close them and gone to bed that way.

And sometimes the corgis sleep 'dead' too, smack dab in the middle of the floor. Really disconcerting, having to sneak up on your dog and see if she's breathing.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ok, now I'm kinda bummed. Maybe we don't have problems cuz everyone watches out for everyone else. Maybe it's not cuz there's no crime here. Maybe it's cuz they know we are retired law enforcement and have made no secret of the fact that there's a gun hidden in every room and we all (daughter included) sleep with a loaded gun on the night stand. Or maybe they're afraid of the 20 some dogs in the house............

Yeah.... they're afraid you're gonna wanna give a dog away Either that or of being licked to death.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
It's 52 degrees and gorgeous out. Ah.....
And that is just NO fair. 42 here. Brrr. I was SO glad to see that the guy down the road had apparently found out about his broken fence and put his mare in the barn- I was NOT looking forward to catching her and walking her home AGAIN in this foggy, chilly morning.

We typically run 5-10 degrees cooler when it's chilly, and 5-10 degrees warmer when it's hot. Weird.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
And that is just NO fair. 42 here. Brrr. I was SO glad to see that the guy down the road had apparently found out about his broken fence and put his mare in the barn- I was NOT looking forward to catching her and walking her home AGAIN in this foggy, chilly morning.

We typically run 5-10 degrees cooler when it's chilly, and 5-10 degrees warmer when it's hot. Weird.
It's 51 right now, but will get to 83 today. I have two windows open right now. I'll shut them up about late morning. We have 24 tall, tall trees on the lot and it will stay cool in here. Then I'll open the windows tonight.

There was a day last week that it only got up into the high 50s, I think, and into the low 40s at night. I had the windows shut then!

And with me, you never know. My thyroid is out of whack and I could be hot one day and frozen to the bone the next.

We forget to shut doors all the time. My husband leaves the keys in his car, too. I constantly have to tell him to knock it off. He's from Florida before it was invaded and he can be too trusting.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Brrr... you guys are freezing me to death. It was cold last night and it still feels chilly inside. I don't see how anyone sleeps with windows open. Whenever I've done that I have a sore throat or cough the next morning.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 298,879 times
Default Yes You Can!

Hey, TrinityJoy!

My wife and I are empty-nesters and we live halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville, just off I-75. We live across the street from some cows! Yes, we can leave doors and windows open (based on weather) whenever we want. We moved up here from the Atlanta Metro area over 20 years ago and never really looked back - this being one of the reasons. Certainly, no place on earth is perfect - there are places I've seen where even the monkies will break into your house! However, here in the Tennessee Valley, it's about as nice as it gets. If you do move this way, you should check out our little corner of the world... Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee