U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM

11,566 posts, read 11,166,940 times
Life style ~ Age ~ Children ~ Occupation ~ Education~ Likes & Dislikes ~ Heritage ~ Religion.
All the above play a key roll on where you put down roots...
The Chamber of Commerce is a great place too start.. Google counties... that will give you all the towns and cities with in that county.. http://www.2chambers.com/tennesse2.htm .......... http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/local/ the map is interactive just move your mouse over the map.. and explore
If you write the Chamber and be specific on your wants & needs.. they will gladly send you information.
I would highly recommended setting up a bogus e-mail address with a bogus name or not use your last name so you can gleen who & whom you contact after further research..

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 10-12-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,040,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
That's all well and good, but I don't have months of time to look at the entire eastern coast. It's nice to at least narrow your area down before you visit so you can spend the most time in the areas people who live there suggest. I do plan on visiting but I now live 10-12 hours away and work full-time so I need some initial help.

Thanks to all the others who are willing to help.

Barb
You do know the mountains are not anywhere on the coast, right? Maybe you need to start with a map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
I do not expect anyone to pick a place for me. We have been through parts of eastern TN a number of times but not familiar with all the cities. I just wanted to maybe narrow it down a little below Gatlinburg to start looking. We are coming to WNC later this month to look and wanted to spend a little time looking in TN. I can see this board isn't as helpful as I thought since everyone needs a novel of what exactly people are looking for before they will reply. Thanks all for nothing. I won't bother you again.

Barb
You never mentioned wanting to look "a little below Gatlinburg" before. Even that isn't geographically useful and we'd have to ask lower elevation or south or??? So there goes the novel again. Us darn unhelpful people are just soooo stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Barb.....we can't read your mind on your wants and needs....

Sooooo, from your statement....I think WNC will be a better fit for y'all....
My deepest apologies to Bones as I didn't realize the first 2 quotes had not made it along with his. It looked like I was reacting to his post and I didn't mean to. Sorry... Please consider this my correction.

Pam I have no idea, and didn't want to waste my time beyond what I already had wasted, but it just sounded so much like people around where I used to live.... if you didn't intuit the need and have an answer immediately then what good were you? Followed by "Outta my way I got things to do and places to be!" Something about the tri-state area around metro NY brings it out in people. Thanks for your support. Unfortunately now I am sounding like a commercial for a politician, so I'd better stop while I'm ahead. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Life style ~ Age ~ Children ~ Occupation ~ Education~ Likes & Dislikes ~ Heritage ~ Religion.
All the above play a key roll on where you put down roots...
The Chamber of Commerce is a great place too start.. Google counties... that will give you all the towns and cities with in that county.. Tennesse Chamber of Commerce, TN Directory of Chambers .......... TN.gov the map is interactive just move your mouse over the map.. and explore
If you write the Chamber and be specific on your wants & needs.. they will gladly send you information.
I would highly recommended setting up a bogus e-mail address with a bogus name or not use your last name so you can gleen who & whom you contact after further research..
Tinman, that means she has to do the work of contacting someone. That was not helpful of you. j/k

Yeah I think the closer to Asheville the better as Bones hinted.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

13,546 posts, read 6,905,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
My deepest apologies to Bones as I didn't realize the first 2 quotes had not made it along with his. It looked like I was reacting to his post and I didn't mean to. Sorry... Please consider this my correction.
No apology needed....< goes to room to pout >....J/K...'

It took me over a year to find my little homestead that met my needs,wants and desires....

Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,341,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
No apology needed....< goes to room to pout >....J/K...'

It took me over a year to find my little homestead that met my needs,wants and desires....

SLACKER! lol

Glad you're happy here, Bones.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,340,251 times
Barb,
I'd like to thank you for highlighting exactly what Mrs. 1885 was saying. Suddenly you are interested in an area below Gatlinburg? More specifics are needed, such as how far below? You talking a mile below or a hollar or two below?
Foe what its worth, I once lived 12 hours away and had a very important busy life too before I settled in Tennessee and I still made numrous trips here as I tried to figure out where we wanted to end up. I hadn't discovered CD at that time, so all my research was done in person by visiting. I had no web site to ask pointless questions on or even have anyone to blame if something didn't turn out as we expected and you can bet the farm I never flounced anywhere, because strangers displeased me.
Enjoy NC.
Pam

Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM

447 posts, read 810,806 times
lol.... i love you guys...lol

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 PM

13,546 posts, read 6,905,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
SLACKER! lol

Glad you're happy here, Bones.
Slacker......well, I never......

Happy doesn't even come close to moving back in time 25 years.....

We did a lot of internet searching, talking to people, realtors, visits, etc. to find our place....after all, It's going to be our homestead for a very long time...

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 AM

Now ya have, Bones, now ya have

Pam: mwah! (that's an air kiss, btw)

Joann- we're fond of you too.

Seriously though, moving a household across country is HARD and expensive. Ask me- I did it twice in the last year. Why go to all that expense and trouble when you're not even sure?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:41 PM

11,566 posts, read 11,166,940 times
Well !! I'll grab my blankey........ and go off too bed

Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Well !! I'll grab my blankey........ and go off too bed
Don't forget to leave your window open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee