Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 138,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolliP View Post
Check out Townsend, TN. Also look in and around Gatlinburg or Sevierville. You may not want to be in Gatlinburg or Sevierville proper, as they are both big tourist towns, but there are many beautiful little towns near there. I could also suggest some fantastic little towns in Western North Carolina, but you stated you want to be in the state of TN. In my opinion, TN is a fantastic state and wonderful place to live. I have many friends there. I prefer the small towns closer to Chattanooga, Gatlinburg and Sevierville to the ones near Knoxville, but that is just a personal preference. It's a beautiful area all the way through that part of the country!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Did you know that we've already been to the house? We've seen it, plotted out where the deck, pool, hot tub, outdoor kitchen, and my raised beds garden are going. The house is.......a house. Nothing special, but exactly the way we both expected it to be. I've been living in houses over 3000 sq ft, so going down to 1000 was kind of a shock, but that's what we had been looking for.
I am quite aware that after purchasing you then went and visited. Yes. And you said that you made a good purchase, and I hope you did. Did you check comps in the area? Well, of course, I am sure that you did.

But if it were me I would go out of my way to say that I had only been there once. I would not want people on here, seeking advice, to think you were an expert. I know you said "so far" but people don't always take in what they read and it is quite possible that they are only reading that you own a home there.

I hope that specific area that you bought into is perfect for you and I am sure you will make sure of that. But until you've lived there a couple of years, surrounded by its people, experiencing its weather, will you truly "know."

And yes, I am also aware that a very long time ago you went to college in the Tri-Cities area. Know that area is not very similar to where you purchased.

And I also don't like folks to be encouraged to buy sight unseen. I remember when I first advised against that, to you, you thought I was quite humorous. Well, I don't think buying something you know little about is the best idea and I never will, even if some people think I am an idiot.

The truth is you don't really know the ending of your story, yet, so it is probably best not to guess another person's outcome.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM

105 posts, read 521,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am thrilled with our impending move to McNairy County. The people I've come in contact with, so far, have been great! Service people: I hired an HVAC company to test/service the AC before we bought the house and the service was fantastic! and even with my hearing disability and the different pronunciations, we communicated just fine; then a property manager; plumber recently; and people on here helping out with info, hints, and friendship; I just know we are going to love living near Jackson.

What part of McNairy Co? I live in Adamsville.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Outside (& across the highway) the town limits of Bethel Springs - we'll be neighbors!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,344 times
I'm new here, stumbled across you while researching the resources in TN. I agree w/genteelhart in that, wherever I land, I will continue to judge each individual on their behavior. I don't label groups.

I spent a week in W. Tenn but was very busy looking at real estate. I did not have the opportunity to meet many local ppl (w/the exception of the hotel staff in Jackson and a handful of real estate agents). One thing that surprised me, but that I really came to love, is the way everyone waves at you when you drive by. It took some getting used to (at first I thought ppl were mistaking me for someone else, lol).

One thing that I am worried about, because I live alone, is the possibility of ending up in an area where I will not have access to necessary services, animal care, shopping, restaurants, etc. My mother has recently been diagnosed w/cancer and it has me thinking that I do not want to be so far away from family and find that I cannot get the medical or other services that I might need in the future.

Right now I am seriously looking at a property in Gibson county but I am wondering if anyone knows of a site which would give me a good overview of what services are available in that area and where they are located. Any help would be much appreciated. I have already spoken to some ppl in the Mayor's office and gotten some information on some services but I am reluctant to take up there time, picking their brains for this information, if I can access it through other means.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemarch View Post
Right now I am seriously looking at a property in Gibson county but I am wondering if anyone knows of a site which would give me a good overview of what services are available in that area and where they are located. Any help would be much appreciated. .
I am not sure if you mean gov't services or if you just want to know where things like hospitals and such are.
If it's the former most counties and cities have their own website with that info, and often times will have a page of helpful info for potential or new residents. For instance this is for Milan TN: Milan, Tennessee and for the county: The Greater Gibson County Area Chamber of Commerce
Google maps has a handy "search nearby" feature that can help you locate places of interest in a particular city, county or zip code. I did a search for "hospitals" for Gibson county and got 36 results:gibson county tn - Google Maps.
I hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 13,344 times
Default thank u dubbleT

that is fantastic. that search nearby feature should be very helpful. thank you so much.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

20 posts, read 43,177 times
I moved down 3 weeks ago. I found City data, you guys(& gals) in the forums and the actual county/towns web site very helpful. I also visited the town several times before our final decision. I have to agree with hiknapster. I will need a few years before I'll give anyone advise on moving here.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 AM

134 posts, read 680,606 times
I haven't read this entire thread, maybe 5 pages, but if your budget is only $40k for a house, it sounds like your Internet biz in in its infant stages. This is not a good budget considering any home in this bracket will need repairs and upkeep.

You might want to make sure this biz is in a much better financial position before moving. You buy a "cheap" place and that biz tanks (subscription based income businesses are notorious for this), you are locked into that area. Those "cheap" places are difficult to resell, and it usually means the neighborhood is also in a similar state.

Ya kinda get what you pay for.

I can also tell stories of cheaper places with mobile homes, way off the beat n' path that when looked at closely, were used to grow pot and drugs in the wooded acreage. This is cheap income for those without skills/education living on under $20k a year.

Best imo is you have to speak with neighbors...there are always locals that have an eye on the community. Visit the local library, supermarkets, small grocery store with the casier that has lived there for ages...pick their brains in a subtle, easy going manner.

I met one of my nieghbors who suggested I am gonna be an outsider, but hopefully I can just be me. Not "those NYers who moved in".
--I was from Los Angeles and found out quickly to NOT mention I was from California. I made the mistake of saying one of my neighbors was a child actor who starred in their own TV show. One thing I learned quickly...word spreads like wildfire on a hot summer day in small towns. Almost everyone will be wondering who you are and watching from the outside. What cleared the air for me was to NOT wait and have those greet me, but after a few days, I went to neighbors with a little gift and introduced myself. Sweet and simple. It took about six months for some to thaw out a little and feel comfortable. Then again, small town or not, most people are living their lives. Find the local diner and eat there once a week. Let them know you are a local. Same with the library. In fact, best place to meet locals is a church.

Lastly, I observed that just because people have lived in the same town for 20 years on the same block does not mean they are close. I lived on a hollow with five families and none of them really spoke to one another. I lived in a small town suburban town with neighbors house to house...same thing. I even attended a funeral of my new neighbor who sadly died of cancer after three months. He lived there for over twenty years and I was the only one on the block who attended! That broke a TN stereotype I had that everyone is closer than living in a big city. I didn't really see it that way.

They were not unfriendly, but just not close. Most were very busy living their own lives.

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 04-02-2011 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Yep. High speed internet in a $40,000 home that hasn't had a meth lab in it. Going to be tough.

For some reason we've had a string of these requests for a little over a year. Some seem to crack wise when we give them honest information. That's fine but it still won't produce what they're looking for.

I have to agree with you. People can be friendly as in to wave at strangers and chat in line at the grocery store but making friends may be another thing entirely. You have a better shot at it if you are in a city and join organizations that interest you. In the backwoods you are probably just going to be a topic of conversation. If you don't go to church then all bets may be off. Of course anything can happen. Life is full of possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, maybe 5 pages, but if your budget is only $40k for a house, it sounds like your Internet biz in in its infant stages. This is not a good budget considering any home in this bracket will need repairs and upkeep.

You might want to make sure this biz is in a much better financial position before moving. You buy a "cheap" place and that biz tanks (subscription based income businesses are notorious for this), you are locked into that area. Those "cheap" places are difficult to resell, and it usually means the neighborhood is also in a similar state.

Ya kinda get what you pay for.

I can also tell stories of cheaper places with mobile homes, way off the beat n' path that when looked at closely, were used to grow pot and drugs in the wooded acreage. This is cheap income for those without skills/education living on under $20k a year.

Best imo is you have to speak with neighbors...there are always locals that have an eye on the community. Visit the local library, supermarkets, small grocery store with the casier that has lived there for ages...pick their brains in a subtle, easy going manner.

I met one of my nieghbors who suggested I am gonna be an outsider, but hopefully I can just be me. Not "those NYers who moved in".
--I was from Los Angeles and found out quickly to NOT mention I was from California. I made the mistake of saying one of my neighbors was a child actor who starred in their own TV show. One thing I learned quickly...word spreads like wildfire on a hot summer day in small towns. Almost everyone will be wondering who you are and watching from the outside. What cleared the air for me was to NOT wait and have those greet me, but after a few days, I went to neighbors with a little gift and introduced myself. Sweet and simple. It took about six months for some to thaw out a little and feel comfortable. Then again, small town or not, most people are living their lives. Find the local diner and eat there once a week. Let them know you are a local. Same with the library. In fact, best place to meet locals is a church.

Lastly, I observed that just because people have lived in the same town for 20 years on the same block does not mean they are close. I lived on a hollow with five families and none of them really spoke to one another. I lived in a small town suburban town with neighbors house to house...same thing. I even attended a funeral of my new neighbor who sadly died of cancer after three months. He lived there for over twenty years and I was the only one on the block who attended! That broke a TN stereotype I had that everyone is closer than living in a big city. I didn't really see it that way.

They were not unfriendly, but just not close. Most were very busy living their own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee