U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 120,835 times

Advertisements

Our budget is $40K (actually, it's up to 50K since I started this thread) because we're paying CASH for our house, not taking out a mortgage. The price tag isn't reflective of our income, it's reflective of our savings for a house.

Our income is sufficient and our business is doing well.

We are continuing our research and, provided the sale of the business where I work now goes through (an offer has been accepted, the close is due June 1), we'll be making a trip to TN in the last half of July with the goal of viewing homes in our price range, and, hopefully, making a purchase of one of them, with a cross-country move date of mid-August.

As always, I appreciate all posts that are trying to be helpful, even if they are predicting our failure to find a house in our price range. We'll see, and I will be sure to update this thread with our progress as we go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 26,383 times
Good luck.
Hi, I wish I could figure out how to post a new thread! Until I can, let me just say that I'm considering TN too. My husband and I are retired, so finding jobs won't be a factor. My daughter lives near Huntsville, Alabama, and we'd like to be closer than we are now in Delaware. Will be coming to take a look around in May. I saw a new house in Shelbyville for $139k, 1700 sq. ft on a small piece of lot, which would be perfect for us. I'm just wondering why this new house has been on the market for 2 years. What can anyone tell me about Shelbyville?
My husband simply needs cable to watch his sports and we also need internet.

Last edited by romanmiracles; 04-07-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,971 times
hi romanmiracles

ditto on starting a new thread! duh knew I was electronically challenged. this just proves it. I am also hoping to move toTn the Bulls Gap area. Lived there for a short period with relatives loooooong time ago. should have bought the farm when Granny Laxton died,but we were unable to at that time. have wonderful memories of the area and the ppl there. And just learned on here that there is a lg dirt track near there and Im a race nut. Im on disability, so a job wont enter into it. but not sure of services there now. I learned to live with partyline phone but internet and direct tv are a must. Good luck in your search. IF anyone out there can answer any questions about todays Bulls Gap area , would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarsjewels View Post
I learned to live with partyline phone but internet and direct tv are a must.
Party line? I don't think those still exist.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Super cheap can be achieved in the area. Ive seen inexpensive homes in Clarkrange, Jamestown, Muddy Pond, Crab Orchard and Montery. 50 K isn't a lot but its possible. Mountain Home Builders will even rough you in a 24x40 wood stick built home on a block foundation for around 16K if you find land you like in the area.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 120,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Super cheap can be achieved in the area. Ive seen inexpensive homes in Clarkrange, Jamestown, Muddy Pond, Crab Orchard and Montery. 50 K isn't a lot but its possible. Mountain Home Builders will even rough you in a 24x40 wood stick built home on a block foundation for around 16K if you find land you like in the area.
Thanks for the information - always appreciated!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 58,316 times
If I were moving back to Tennessee, I would be moving to Middle Tennessee. I am particularly fond of Rutherford County, especially Smyrna. Might be growing too much for your taste. However, look out northeast of Murfreesboro. Lascassas would be a good choice for a rural town, and if Lascassas is too big, I would HIGHLY

Old 06-30-2011, 07:40 PM

231 posts, read 467,953 times
Default super cheap[but nice] home in Tennessee

Problem is that normally nice and super cheap don't go together. It will be difficult to buy anything even halfway nice for

Recommend you look for something that has been reprocessed or is going up for auction, otherwise it's going to be difficult to get anything even halfway nice within your budget. Naturally, the closer to a City, the higher the price, but more amenities that are available. Conversely, the further from a City, the cheaper land and housing tends to be, but few amenities are available. I live in Southern Tennessee about 10 miles from a small Town and there is no high speed internet nor garbage pick up. The roads are paved--kind of.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,300 times
Dunlap, TN is a small town a little under an hour north of Chattanooga, and 2 hours south of Nashville and has a post office. It's where I currently live. I mean it's pretty hick/backwoods (no offense to anyone), but it's cheap and fits what you're describing. There's a wal-mart super center here for your shopping needs.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,485,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmiracles View Post
Good luck.
Hi, I wish I could figure out how to post a new thread! Until I can, let me just say that I'm considering TN too. My husband and I are retired, so finding jobs won't be a factor. My daughter lives near Huntsville, Alabama, and we'd like to be closer than we are now in Delaware. Will be coming to take a look around in May. I saw a new house in Shelbyville for $139k, 1700 sq. ft on a small piece of lot, which would be perfect for us. I'm just wondering why this new house has been on the market for 2 years. What can anyone tell me about Shelbyville?
My husband simply needs cable to watch his sports and we also need internet.
I live in Tullahoma which is about 12-15 miles from Shelbyville. Shelbyville is home to the Tennessee Walking Horse festival/competition. Lots of large horse ranches just outside of town.

There are some nice homes there and Shelbyville is only about 20 minutes or so from the much larger Murfreesboro.

You'll have to see the place for yourself but truthfully it is not my favorite town. This is only my opinion but it is a little dirty. The downtown square is nice but there is a LOT of cash loan stores, pawn shops, cigarette shops, little used car lots, places that look run down. A LOT of run-down Mexican restaurants and other stores that cater to that ethnic group because of the Tyson Chicken Factory in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee