U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times

Advertisements

Spencer area. There are tons of outlying towns that are super small. Small enough you don't have a traffic light, shopping, etc., but very cheap and if you're in the right area you will be serviced by Ben Lomand which offers high speed internet. Van Buren county in general is cheap. Land is between $5,000 and $10,000 per acre. I've got almost 10 acres with a 5 bedroom 2550 square foot brick house and taxes are just over $300 a year. Insurance just went up to $600 a year and that's the max coverage we could get. Everything is insured, including out buildings.

With this, our drive to 'town' - either McMinnville or Sparta - is about 20 minutes. But it puts us in an area with plenty grocery stores, home supply / lumber stores, restaurants, doctors and hospitals, etc. Spencer is pretty vacant of life or shopping and quite frankly, though I think it's a neat little town and enjoy the parades and such, I personally wouldn't live there. At least not within the 'city' limits. But you can drive 5 minutes out Hwy 111 or Hwy 30 and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere with tons of privacy.

The downside to this is emergency services. They don't have manned sub stations for anything here. There's Spencer's EMS building and that's about it. If you're off the city map you're looking at response from law, fire or EMS from a distance (law) or a volunteer that's going to have to stop what he/she is doing, get dressed and drive to where you are. And that's if they've got their ambulance or fire truck near by, otherwise they've got to drive to the nearest station. So, if you've got a medical emergency or you or your spouse have major medical problems, it's something to consider.

Also, this is middle TN. We're about an hour and a half north of Chattanooga straight up 111. 2 hours southeast of Nashville, a couple hours west of Knoxville. It's a gorgeous area but it's not eastern TN. Don't know how much of a difference that makes for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM

688 posts, read 1,244,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Spencer area. There are tons of outlying towns that are super small. Small enough you don't have a traffic light, shopping, etc., but very cheap and if you're in the right area you will be serviced by Ben Lomand which offers high speed internet. Van Buren county in general is cheap. Land is between $5,000 and $10,000 per acre. I've got almost 10 acres with a 5 bedroom 2550 square foot brick house and taxes are just over $300 a year. Insurance just went up to $600 a year and that's the max coverage we could get. Everything is insured, including out buildings.

With this, our drive to 'town' - either McMinnville or Sparta - is about 20 minutes. But it puts us in an area with plenty grocery stores, home supply / lumber stores, restaurants, doctors and hospitals, etc. Spencer is pretty vacant of life or shopping and quite frankly, though I think it's a neat little town and enjoy the parades and such, I personally wouldn't live there. At least not within the 'city' limits. But you can drive 5 minutes out Hwy 111 or Hwy 30 and feel like you're in the middle of nowhere with tons of privacy.

The downside to this is emergency services. They don't have manned sub stations for anything here. There's Spencer's EMS building and that's about it. If you're off the city map you're looking at response from law, fire or EMS from a distance (law) or a volunteer that's going to have to stop what he/she is doing, get dressed and drive to where you are. And that's if they've got their ambulance or fire truck near by, otherwise they've got to drive to the nearest station. So, if you've got a medical emergency or you or your spouse have major medical problems, it's something to consider.

Also, this is middle TN. We're about an hour and a half north of Chattanooga straight up 111. 2 hours southeast of Nashville, a couple hours west of Knoxville. It's a gorgeous area but it's not eastern TN. Don't know how much of a difference that makes for you.
Where do you consider Middle or Central or whatever you call it in Tennessee to end and East Tennesse proper to start going east (as in Cookeville, Crossville, Kingston or somewhere else). Just curious.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 AM

This is the best I can find to show you. It's middle Tennessee, but you can at least make out the counties that fall in middle. I'm Van Buren, so we're right on the line that seperates middle from east.

http://www.discovering-east-tennesse...county-map.jpg

Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 29,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Where do you consider Middle or Central or whatever you call it in Tennessee to end and East Tennesse proper to start going east (as in Cookeville, Crossville, Kingston or somewhere else). Just curious.
I say Middle Tenn starts when you get over the mtn.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattySon89 View Post
I say Middle Tenn starts when you get over the mtn.
ummm, which mtn?

Generally speaking east Tn is mostly the part that extends from the NC border (Smoky Mtns) westward over the eastern Cumberland plateau and includes the valley that is between with Knoxville in its center.

There are many (google brought up pages worth) maps and articles available on line that show the general divisions of the three parts of the state and some that specify which counties and cities are in each. The following are a few links:

Tennessee County Map (this link should bring up all of the maps and be color coded)

Discovering East Tennessee This is also color coded with a little explanation of the divisions and a description of landmarks, but is mainly about the eastern section of TN.

Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is a pretty detailed "about Tennessee" kind of article that also clearly shows the parts of Tn as well as gives a good history and additional links.

As to the OP's original question.... I thought I had posted but it seems to have evaporated.... Bones and 2mares are right. We have friends who also have an internet business want to move here to Eastern TN from a neighboring state. Internet access was much harder to come by than they thought, in some cases it could be brought further "out" of town but at a cost that doubled the cost of buying the land or home they were looking into.

From your request I believe you have not actually seen too much of Tennessee and don't realize how thinly populated it really is when compared to California. There is very little suburban living as you might see outside of larger cities and in more heavily populated states (typical east coast from DC north through NYC to Boston or huge parts of SoCal where one town blends into the next). Towns here very small overall and taper off into very rural rapidly. Very often you have a concentrated area of stores, restaurants and medical facilities along one or two roads, and within the distance of a city block you can be back in a very rural setting. If you are used to a very spread out suburban area around every larger town and city that gradually becomes more rural you have a different vision of what a small town within an easy ride to the post office is. Even that concept seems pretty nebulous... I live about 15 minutes from the post office and a friend lives geographically only a few more miles away but needs 1/2 hour to get into town because the roads are so windy over the mountains. He's got unreliable dial up for internet, too.

The price you have in mind is below super cheap, even in more rural areas. Everywhere that that cheap is that way because of higher unemployment, or marginal/low income and very little development, which in turn means the populace there cannot afford, or have an interest in, the high speed internet you require. The towns are not <Hollywood/TV rural> with coffee shops and an art gallery and quaint B&B's. Most are more gritty real small towns, with a dollar store and gas station and, if they are a little bigger, a Walmart. This is not unlike areas of NY state, where I used to live, once you were far outside the sphere of NYC.

Our friends have finally found a very old home with a lot of character that, with some intense sweat equity, works for what they were looking for (and was on the edge of the high speed internet they needed). It cost them 3 times more that you are willing to spend before fixing. There are towns that will be cheaper but I think your expectations of prices may be on the low side. Prices in TN are cheaper than in many places but they are not third world prices.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM

688 posts, read 1,244,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
This is the best I can find to show you. It's middle Tennessee, but you can at least make out the counties that fall in middle. I'm Van Buren, so we're right on the line that seperates middle from east.

http://www.discovering-east-tennesse...county-map.jpg
Something that is sorta weird, or at least, incongruous, is Marion County (on southern Tn. border) shaded in green as being part of E. Tenn. but straight south of nothing but Middle Tenn. counties. I guess neither here nor there, just curious, perhaps only to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Something that is sorta weird, or at least, incongruous, is Marion County (on southern Tn. border) shaded in green as being part of E. Tenn. but straight south of nothing but Middle Tenn. counties. I guess neither here nor there, just curious, perhaps only to me.
Tons of things are weird in this state.

Look at the area code map when you have a chance.

My zip code is for the town on the other side of the highway, which happens to fall into a different county all together. I live in Van Buren county but have a Warren county zip code in other words.

Tennessee doesn't make a lot of sense with many things it does. But it's a beautiful state with wonderful people that are very diverse and it's dirt cheap to live here compared to other states. I'd say it makes it worth it!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM

222 posts, read 493,209 times
Great Post J&Em! I really do believe that people's expectations of "small towns" compared to some other states are extremely blurred.

Your description of small town living in Tennessee is vivid and right on point!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
There is a little town right off the interstate somewhere close to halfway (maybe a bit closer to Nashville) between Nashville and Memphis. Waverly is the name of the town, I was/am a Dupont Brat, moved all over the country, Waverly was a really nice small community, one of the better places we lived.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM

23 posts, read 120,835 times
Thank you for the help and replies (except the last one, which was just weird - I don't know if you hate me or Tennessee or both, and it turns out I don't care, either. )

I know the price we're looking at is very low, but there are more than a few real live home listings for just that so we'll be checking them out. Worst case, we don't find anything in our range and we rent for a year or two until we can afford something.

I did check with Comcast and the communities we're looking at do offer high-speed internet. I will, however, definitely keep that to the forefront whenever we're adding a new possibility to our list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee