U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM

14 posts, read 22,972 times

Advertisements

WOW! I didn't realize my half joking "off the cuff" remark would fuel so many comments! I guess I was thinking about that Raccoon "doo" more than anything when I made my remarks, since we probably have about as much as the other post to purchase a home.

You have all given us plenty to think about.

For the record, we have traveled through TN on several occasions and have enjoyed our over night stays in route to West Virginia, Kentucky, and Arkansas. The people have always been nice and friendly and have contributed as much to the pro column as the scenery and topography. My family also traveled to and around Tennessee several times when I was growing up, taking in Gatlinburg, Nashville, Chatanooga, and the Smoky Mountain area; all good experiences.

As a native Texan and residing in the same area all of my life (we have lived in our current home for over 34 years--all of our married life) it is easy to say why move. However, we are ready for a change of scenery and hope to be able to move from here when the time is right. Tennessee is high on our list, as is Northern Alabama. We have Grandchildren here and another pair in West Virginia near Morgantown so these areas are about half-way.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! We really do appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ55 View Post
I guess I was thinking about that Raccoon "doo" more than anything when I made my remarks, since we probably have about as much as the other post to purchase a home.
I don't understand.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM

J&M Message #25 Quoted Genteelheart then added comments on each part as follows:

Originally Posted by genteelhart

I am reasonably adept at reading real estate ads (my husband was in contruction for many years, my uncle is a home inspector) and I know what things like "fixer upper" and "needs a little TLC" and "handyman special" really mean. But I'm also finding a fair number of "move in ready" and "fully remodeleds", too.

Move in ready can mean they cleaned out the racoon mess and painted the walls. Fully remodeled may just mean a flipper with new kitchen appliances to replace the antiques that were rusting to the floor before. Or maybe that kitchen remodel means they painted the cabinets a nice white and added the cheapest grade granite for $200. We felt pretty adept, too, and in the end found our home using online sources as well as a real estate agent, but we also knew exactly where we wanted to live by putting in on the ground time in the community before we looked at real estate. Real estate adds, listings and written descriptions are not always what we think and often leave out details that can very well effect what you end up with, like lax or nonexistent building codes. Who and what went into building the original when it comes to that cheap housing? The first home we looked at was absolutely gorgeous, great property, even a great view BUT it was poorly constructed, and this explained the price. A few of the houses we saw were not quite what we expected just from the real estate pictures and descriptions, but the biggest thing you cannot "see" from anything on line or from pictures is the actual location and actual under the covers construction. The other thing that you won't "see" is what your neighborhood is like. Are you ready for the neighbor who target practices for days on end before bear season? Or the one who hauls his metal fishing boat out before dawn and rattles all over that gravel driveway on his way by your house, every weekend? How about Mr. Power Tools who never stops using his gadgets out in the yard or in his garage? Neither will be in the real estate description. How about being down wind by a mile or two from a factory or large CAFO ? You'll never find that in the description either but you will smell them if you come to that part of town

Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Looking like Johnson City may be best for us IF we land in TN. What about schools and family recreation?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Thank you for explaining that, ZZ. It went right over my head. And for some reason, I seemed to have missed this latest post.

Anyway, the economy has people looking for very inexpensive housing and for some reason, people think that Tennessee's are REALLY, REALLY cheap. Granted, we do have affordable homes and a great cost of living to go along with it. But $40,000 homes that are in need of major renovation and in the middle of nowhere is going to be what is mostly going to be out there.

Goodness, this past year we've seen people looking for even more for less, including someone that wanted to be in the middle of the city for $25,000, but also in a crime-free area and someone that wanted a free house. Yes, free. Just because people are nice with beautiful accents doesn't mean they are idiots.

Tennessee is still a very desirable area to live. The weather in the eastern region is darn near perfect, in some areas there are still jobs, and decent schools and the people are very nice and taxes and fees are crazy low. So, we aren't giving away houses. I'd check parts of Ohio and Michigan for that.

And I don't mean you, in particular, ZZ. It's been a common theme this year from a lot of different people.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM

We are looking for a lower cost of living, but know that it costs to live...whew! We realize that $40K won't go far, but maybe it can be a good down payment. House we live in now is "paid for" so it is really hard to think about a house note at this point in our lives, but I guess you do what you need to do if you want it bad enough.

How long have you lived in Knoxville?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ55 View Post
We are looking for a lower cost of living, but know that it costs to live...whew! We realize that $40K won't go far, but maybe it can be a good down payment. House we live in now is "paid for" so it is really hard to think about a house note at this point in our lives, but I guess you do what you need to do if you want it bad enough.

How long have you lived in Knoxville?
$40,000 is a very nice down payment and more than most people put down. I'm really referring to several other people that have come on the forum in the past year, and not you.

I've lived in Knoxville for over five years. I lived in Florida for about 10 and New England for 33 years. It's a nice place to be. I find Texans to be very much like Knoxvillians, and that is a very, very good thing.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Aw shucks ma'am! Thanks hikstar, you're mighty nice.

Knoxville is in the running, have some friends that are about to move there. We've found it to be a friendly place.

Our eldest lives in West Virginia, but its too cold and icy for this Texas Flatlander! A little snow, I'll try, but they get too much for us! Knoxville would put us just past half-way from here.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
Actually Hiknapster, there are some nice move-in-ready houses in my area of western TN that are priced in the $60K range. They aren't big, +- 1,000 sq ft, mostly with a couple of acres but no city services: well and septic; and taxes are running under $1000/yr.

And, as an aside, our moving date has been postponed for another year! We are bummed about it, but it's just a delay.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Sorry to hear about the delay, Annie! That is terrible! I can't wait to see how buying sight unseen works out for you!

If an area is cheaper, there could be a reason for that. Of course, "desirable" is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee