Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 138,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If you're still thinking of a $40K budget, look west. We bought just south of Jackson. Initially I wanted to buy in the northeast, near to where I went to college, but prices and cold moved us further west, and further west again. We wound up south of Jackson but we had looked in the towns to the north. Those seem to be more built-up - which is what we were NOT looking for, but it sounds more like what you want. Look around Milan.
Thanks!

I'm trying to cast around various parts of the state now, avoiding the "big cities" proper ('cuz I don't like big cities) and will definitely check out Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,908 times
Genteelheart,
As no one was referring to you personally in the last few posts,can't understand the tude. Anyway it is neither here nor there, Jackson is a fine place to look.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 AM

160 posts, read 355,053 times
Default re: psots about phone service and all

ummm do you folks in TN have electricity? By the way ya all sound, there's no phone, roads not on interstates are unpaved. If that's the case where does everyone work?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
ummm do you folks in TN have electricity? By the way ya all sound, there's no phone, roads not on interstates are unpaved. If that's the case where does everyone work?
We all just sit around and make shine.....

Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 PM

46 posts, read 133,264 times
Here is something funny...I was told by my now deceased mom that my uncle lived in the hills of Tn. but he died of white lightening so growing up, I was afraid of thunder. Now, I find out that it's moonshine.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Pam, same as my response to RRR. I can't imagine why saying "I want to be one of you" is taken as an insult. But I guess that's your way of saying that if one is not a native and doesn't just blend into the wallpaper, they aren't welcome?
Unfortunately, that's par for the course in some parts of the state.

As for Jackson, not a small town in my book- it's actually a hub city for a whole bunch of small towns in the area, complete with typical suburbia shopping options, and its own television station.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Unfortunately, that's par for the course in some parts of the state.

As for Jackson, not a small town in my book- it's actually a hub city for a whole bunch of small towns in the area, complete with typical suburbia shopping options, and its own television station.
Thank goodness. Because the town we are moving to has a population under 800 and we plan to head into Jackson about every other week for shopping and my Walgreen's fix. Plus, since I'll be trying to learn ASL, Jackson has, from what I've read, an active Deaf/HoH community and I'll be checking into the CIL to take some classes.

Funny, my high school graduating class was 861 and I move to small town America with an even smaller population.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
We all just sit around and make shine.....
Only while the sun shines. And only in the winter, when we're not making hay.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisabel View Post
Here is something funny...I was told by my now deceased mom that my uncle lived in the hills of Tn. but he died of white lightening so growing up, I was afraid of thunder. Now, I find out that it's moonshine.

Oh, Lord- bless your heart and thanks for the laugh. It's amazing how little things like that can mean two totally different things! You feelin' better about thunder now?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Thank goodness. Because the town we are moving to has a population under 800 and we plan to head into Jackson about every other week for shopping and my Walgreen's fix.
If you ever find yourself craving a reuben sandwich, McAlister's Deli, while not quite up to NYC standards, used to have a pretty decent one on the menu. (And I used to eat at the venerable Zingerman's in Ann Arbor; I'm picky about that kind of thing)

For all that Jackson gets a bad rap as a place to live (and understandably in some cases) it's a very useful place to be able to do a nice Saturday shopping trip to. There was a Kroeger in the north side of town we used to hit every week that was pretty good after we decided we didn't want to give one more dollar to the Union City Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee