Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 AM

91 posts, read 280,843 times

Advertisements

You need to check out Fayetteville, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 AM

23 posts, read 138,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Genteelheart,
As no one was referring to you personally in the last few posts,can't understand the tude. Anyway it is neither here nor there, Jackson is a fine place to look.

It's my thread.

And it has nothing to do with me personally - just as folks in less-populated places don't always enjoy being thought of as backwards imbeciles, folks who are thinking of moving to less-populated places don't always enjoy the assumption that we're going to have a fit of the vapors when we discover we're not in segway-ing distance to a Starbucks.

And, thank you for the additional recommendation of Jackson.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,028,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you ever find yourself craving a reuben sandwich, McAlister's Deli, while not quite up to NYC standards, used to have a pretty decent one on the menu. (And I used to eat at the venerable Zingerman's in Ann Arbor; I'm picky about that kind of thing)

For all that Jackson gets a bad rap as a place to live (and understandably in some cases) it's a very useful place to be able to do a nice Saturday shopping trip to. There was a Kroeger in the north side of town we used to hit every week that was pretty good after we decided we didn't want to give one more dollar to the Union City Walmart.
I know that Wallyworld is given almost mystical status in other parts of the country, I'm opposed to making it my main shopping place for a variety of reasons. (for the employment or political forums) So I've already checked into shopping at Krogers, found out there are 4 in Jackson, a Piggly in Henderson and I've been following the threads on the coupon boards I belong to. AND, there are even a couple of Walgreen's for my deals on HBA but sadly no CVS. I won't be doing them 3-4 times at different stores on a daily basis anymore, but I also will only be doing it for just the 2 of us.

I will definitely check out McAlister's deli. I love going to non-chain local places so tell me more.

Last edited by JMT; 11-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Corrected your spelling of Kroger

Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 43,094 times
Default New to the group.

Wow interesting thoughts here. I'm looking to move to TN, hopefully in the next year. Dare I say I'm from NY. I"ve been visiting TN for the last 6 years. I love the scenery, the people and the way of life. I've been looking foward to making it my home for a while now. We bought property in Pikeville and just have to work on having a house built. It definitely fits as a small town. I met one of my nieghbors who suggested I am gonna be an outsider, but hopefully I can just be me. Not "those NYers who moved in".

Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,657,287 times
McAlister's is a Southeastern/regional chain that's got a mix of deli standards and general sandwiches/salads/potatoes.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Jackson has brutal summers and can have severely violent weather. Also: Jackson ranks 13th for crime | jacksonsun.com | The Jackson Sun

Tennessee is a very large state but Jackson would be far from my first pick of places to live.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,028,513 times
I am thrilled with our impending move to McNairy County. The people I've come in contact with, so far, have been great! Service people: I hired an HVAC company to test/service the AC before we bought the house and the service was fantastic! and even with my hearing disability and the different pronunciations, we communicated just fine; then a property manager; plumber recently; and people on here helping out with info, hints, and friendship; I just know we are going to love living near Jackson.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,233,233 times
I'm with Hik on this one- dh had to go there for business and hated the entire week he was there. Felt very unsafe and this was at a pretty nice hotel and just traveling from there to the site and to dinner.
We have friends who bought a place outside Jackson (forget which side, lol) and it was beautiful- out in the country and country type shopping places. They were happy there but avoided the city itself.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,772,674 times
Quote:
And it has nothing to do with me personally - just as folks in less-populated places don't always enjoy being thought of as backwards imbeciles, folks who are thinking of moving to less-populated places don't always enjoy the assumption that we're going to have a fit of the vapors when we discover we're not in segway-ing distance to a Starbucks.
Absolutly agree...

Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 PM

375 posts, read 1,091,328 times
I would add one cautionary note for anyone trolling the bottom of the housing market. Beware of meth houses. I've got a friend who works for an environmental outfit that oversees rehabs, this is what it consists of: replace appliances, HVAC, ceiling fans, countertops and carpet. Paint everything else, including the inside of the cabinets and the vents from the HVAC, there's enough of a market that they contract the vent system to a company that does nothing but paint meth house vents. After that it's considered okey-smokey, they send a few wipe samples from various points (walls, cabinets, etc.) to a lab for analysis and as long as they come back negative for meth the house is released for sale. Usually for really, really cheap. The "seal it in" approach might be OK if you never refinish/remodel anything but I'm not sure how it'll hold up if ya start sanding the doorframes or ripping out cabinets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee